PDA

View Full Version : Car Wax for my MM

vpalhories
11-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Hello,

Just took delivery of my brand new 2004 Mercury Marauder. It is black and I absolutely love it. Can anyone recommend a good wax to use?

Thanks

-- Val

Bluerauder
11-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Hello,

Just took delivery of my brand new 2004 Mercury Marauder. It is black and I absolutely love it. Can anyone recommend a good wax to use?

Thanks

-- Val
Val, welcome to the MM.Net !!! :welcome:

Do a site search on "wax" and read away. I think you'll find that Zaino and Meguire's NXT are preferred by many members here. :D

MM03MOK
11-27-2004, 08:37 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13294

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14003

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11604

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10699

:welcome: Just a sample of the numerous threads and discussions about wax. Do a Search, sit back and start reading.

Petrograde
11-27-2004, 09:09 AM
:welcome: :beer:

I love wax threads! :P I used Meguir's until I tried Zaino. Great stuff,.. a bit pricey though.

Sactown
11-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Welcome vpalhories! :welcome:

I use Mobil 1 0-20 every 3k miles, but don't apply it in the sun.:)

All kidding aside, try searching the site and you'll see that there are lots of products being used successfully by MM owners. Lots and lots of info here but feel free to ask any questions too.

Patrick
11-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Welcome!!!! Like Mary said just do a search and you find out that thier are some good products to use. Just NEVER ask about oil!!! :lol: :lol:

SilverStreak
11-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Welcome, Zaino products are so good that you'll easily get a 20% increase in your MPG.....:D Seriously though do a search through the wax threads for great info.

MARAUDER S/C #5
11-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Zaino !!!!!

vpalhories
11-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks to all who replied. This is indeed a wonderful site with tons of information. I'll search the threads. My problem is that I can't sit still long enough in front of a computer. I find myself wanting to take my car for every excuse. "What's that honey .. we need sugar ... be right back" :D

Thanks again.

-- Val

Bluerauder
11-28-2004, 06:44 AM
I find myself wanting to take my car for every excuse. :D

-- Val
Well, you have definitely come to the right place ... pretty soon you won't even need an excuse. :D

Patrick
11-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks to all who replied. This is indeed a wonderful site with tons of information. I'll search the threads. My problem is that I can't sit still long enough in front of a computer. I find myself wanting to take my car for every excuse. "What's that honey .. we need sugar ... be right back" :D

Thanks again.

-- Val

Yes indeed a sad story. we all share your pain!! Let me go to the car and get the name of the stuff I use to make sure I get the name right......................... .............................. .............................. ...........

Krytin
11-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Yes indeed a sad story. we all share your pain!! Let me go to the car and get the name of the stuff I use to make sure I get the name right......................... .............................. .............................. ...........
LOL
Yeah, I'm fresh out -let me run down to the store so I can read it off the bottle!

Patrick
11-28-2004, 08:52 AM

OK I am Back........... now what we talking about.... oh yeah wax.... opps forgot, it was..... I'll be right back again......................... .......................

Al Goguen
11-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Try EZWAX go to http://www.premiumezwax.com you will like the ease
of use and ya don't have to wash the car first either..... :beer:

423REED
11-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Hello,

Thanks

-- ValHi Val!
First, congratulations on your good taste in cars. My waxing has evolved over the last 39 years to the point where I use mostly Meguier's products. I could write a book about all of the washing/waxing products I've used over the years. They all worked well. I used to show my 1987 Mustang GT convertible in the Northern Illinois Shelby club car shows twice a year for over ten years. In that process, I did some tremendous auto detailing (usually for 2 weeks before the show), in order to win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place trophies, every time I showed that car.

Just about everyone has a car wax that they prefer to use, and swear by. By all means, you use whatever product you enjoy using the most. I'm only writing about what I use, for your information only. I know that there are even higher rated /polishes/waxes available. But always remember that the most important thing isn't what brand of wax you use. But rather to wash and wax your car often. If you do this, it'll look beautiful no matter what product you settle on.

One of the absolutely best car wash products I've found is Meguier's Gold Class. It suds up great and stays sudzy for the whole wash. It has an extremely high lubricity, which I value highly in a car wash. It feels like glass when you're applying it to the car's surface. I also wash my cars with hot water from the sink! I've found that this works much more effectively for cleaning and removing road tar, tree sap, etc, than just using the cold hose water. For waxing, I've settled on a couple of different Meguier products. Sometimes I will use Meguier's cleaner wax (a liquid wax), which works really great. At other times, I will use Meguier's Quik Wax, a spray-on liquid wax. This product also works very good. And it is a little easier to apply and remove (IMO). Both of these waxes wipe off easy without powdering up (which I hate), they last a long time on my Marauder, and they are very glossy looking. I don't use paste wax any more.

For polishing the polished stainless steel exhaust tips, I use either Semi-Chrome or Flitz polish. These products polish beautifully and will actually leave a thin film that protects the tips from asphalt and dirt kicked up during driving (that will make it easier to clean next time). They're the best metal polishes i've used! But, never use any car wax on your tips, because it can yellow over time from the heat.

When I don't really feel like doing the "hard" waxing, I use Meguier's Quik Detailer spray. You can use it without washing your car, if your car is pretty clean (don't use it on a really dirty car). Or, you can apply it after washing and drying. It will give your car a very clean, glossy look, and add some surface protection. You just spray it on an area, wipe it around with your first waxing towel, then buff it off completely with your drier waxing towel. It's a very quick and easy process. I try to use this product every other time I wash my Marauder. But I don't think this product should ever be used as a subtitute for regular waxing, even though it is very tempting because its so easy to use.

I also like the Zymol wax, because I tend to get chest colds and bronchitis. The other waxes are made from petroleum distillates, which can irritate my lungs, especially if they powder up during removal. Zymol wax is made from all natural ingredients, and it smells really great, is easy on my lungs, and it is easy to apply. The only downside that I've found, is that it tends to powder up alot when its being removed, and I don't think it lasts long enough between waxings, as compared to the petroleum based waxes.

Silver_04
11-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Another vote for Zaino. I use it twice a year on my garaged autos. Welcome.

jgc61sr2002
11-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Val - Welcome aboard. :welcome: This is the best site on the net and highly adictive. :D I tend to like the Zaino products. But as mentioned above wash and wax your Marauder often with whatever product you prefer.

DEFYANT
11-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Turtle Wax makes a color specific polish that works great. Then I use Maguires NXT. I use this combo on my black mustang. When I am done, the car blends in with all the reflections. Check out the pics at www.allfordmustangs.com under Defyant.

vpalhories
11-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi ...

Thank you so much for the detailed information. I really appreciate the feedback. This is my very first new car. I've always bought used up until now. I've never really been a fanatic of waxing and the likes. Just a regular wash was always good enough for me.

With the Marauder however, I find myself thinking this is simply not good enough. It is such a classy and sexy looking car that it would be a shame to not take immaculate care.

I live in the Kansas City area where we do get some snow in the winter. Although I will try not to drive it when it snows or immediately after (to not get salt on it) how would you recommend that I take care it it then? I can't clean and wax it outside because it's too cold and my garage is too small to have complete comfortable access to detail it.

-- Val

vpalhories
11-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Oops ... forgot the sugar ... be right back! LOL