PDA

View Full Version : Is traction control available as an add-on

mtnh
08-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I needed to replace my 1996 Grand Marquis and could not find the config that I usually order available on any lots, and after a brief one-on-one encounter with a Marauder in the flesh, I decided to buy one if the price was what I was willing to pay for one (close to invoice!). So approaching a dealer with 3 on their lot (and a smallish dealer at that) on July 30, I was able to consumate a sale. (Having the X-plan and buying my last GM from them also helped)

I did not realize that the Marauder has limited slip axle, but now that I have driven this car a few miles and found out that indeed it did have limited slip, I realize that this car may, no, make that "will" be tough to drive in the winter in New Hampshire, when there is snow on the road. Therefore, I would like to know if there is any knowledge of the possibility of having traction control added to an existing car. I realize that most of the hardware is already on the car, depending on what features the traction control actually provides. Yes, it may have steering rate and inertial sensors employed, which would mean that most of the equipment is NOT in the car already. However, if it is like the old style traction assistance, which used wheel speed sensors and ABS hardware to control wheel spin, then most of that is already on the cars we now drive.

I just can't picture my wife (this is her daily driver!) and her reaction to the first time that the car comes around on her at the touch of the very responsive throttle on slippery roadways. She's never driven a limited slip-equipped car, though I have (and thoroughly enjoyed when it broke loose).

I don't care what it costs, I want to know if traction assist backfit can be had, that's all.

Thanks.

Mike

------
2000 Lincoln LS 5-speed manual
2003 Marauder "stock"
1996 Grand Marquis trailer tow-III, all options but leather, 112K mi., for sale

Logan
08-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Not sure of the answer to that question... Anyone? It would stand to reason that once traction control is on the marauders (Which it's supposed to be later this year), that you'd be able to retrofit your marauder...

RancorKeeper
08-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Unless someone comments who has actually put a Traction-Control system on a car that wasn't equipped with one, I'm gonna say I don't think it's possible. I know people in the Mustang community have talked about taking the 99+ system & putting it on an earlier model, but I believe the computer & all the ABS sensors need to be swapped. Might be a question for a dealer. The Mustang's system works by simultaneously reducing the engine rpm & applying the brakes at certain wheels until the car stops losing traction. It's a very good system; when it's engaged, I can usually get on it pretty good from a stop in light-medium rain without slipping sideways. I don't know how it works in snow & slush. As for winter driving, I don't know about the Panther platform, but my Caprice handles just fine in the snow with Blizzaks at all four corners. In fact, many UNYISSO members drive their Caprice's year round & NY winters can be pretty harsh.

WJSOLOMON
08-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mtnh: "I did not realize that the Marauder has limited slip axle, but now that I have driven this car a few miles and found out that indeed it did have limited slip, I realize that this car may, no, make that "will" be tough to drive in the winter in New Hampshire, when there is snow on the road. I just can't picture my wife (this is her daily driver!) and her reaction to the first time that the car comes around on her at the touch of the very responsive throttle on slippery roadways. She's never driven a limited slip-equipped car, though I have (and thoroughly enjoyed when it broke loose). Thanks. Mike

Mike - I just replaced both Front Wheel / Tire. and Rear Wheel, when my 'Rauder's Rear End sild sideways on fresh rain on Hot Asphalt in a 4-Lane Curve. I've already placed an Order for the ones coming out in the fall, with the OEM Traction Control, Moon Roof, Heated Seats, and Lighter Slate Interior. These High-Torque 'Rauders are fairly dangerous under the wrong conditions, in anyone's hands.

In the meantime, throw a couple bags of Water Softener Pellots in the trunk, keep the Fuel tank filled all the time, and stay up with "THE TIRE RACK", until Bridgestone (or Equal) comes up with suitable Winter Tires, to try and cope with this fairly dangerous situation.
Good Luck!

Wags
08-15-2002, 04:18 AM
WJSOLOMON,

Tire Rack said that they will have a winter package for the Marauder by October sometime. I called them a few weeks ago. I hope that my Marauder is better in the snow than my Impala. Maybe I'll just use the Impala for the "winter beater" (haha).

Pete

tetsu
08-15-2002, 05:53 AM
Snow tires and 2nd gear. :)

Since 2nd will take ya all the way to 92 mph you dont need
another gear in winter! J/K!

I really hope that there will be a winter package for us. I suppose we'll
have to get aluminum wheels though. Do they make 18x8 steelies?
I wonder how much a second set of Forged Rauder wheels would cost.

Johnny

Logan
08-15-2002, 07:07 AM
Look at your spare. It's the perfect winter tire rim... Unpolished, bare cast version of the marauder wheel. I bet they're pretty cheap at the parts counter....

tetsu
08-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Look at your spare. It's the perfect winter tire rim... Unpolished, bare cast version of the marauder wheel. I bet they're pretty cheap at the parts counter....

Actually that's a great idea. They are supposed to also be forged though. Just not polished and clearcoated.

Johnny

Wags
08-15-2002, 08:32 AM
I'm just looking to get steel rims with taller all-season radials, with plain old hub caps. It will be much cheaper. That's what I went with for the Impala. I got 15" steel rims (instead of the 17"), and went with a higher profile tire to make up the difference. Remember, these are just for the winter. Besides, then people will really think that you are a cop, and get out of your way faster!

WJSOLOMON
08-15-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by tetsu: "Snow tires - I hope that there will be a winter package for us. I suppose we'll have to get aluminum wheels though. Do they make 18x8 steelies? I wonder how much a second set of Forged Rauder wheels would cost?" Johnny

Just bought a Replacement Wheel for $344.00, and a Front Tire for another $152.00 from my Dealer. Slid into the Bridge Concrete Curbs on Hot Asphalt in Fresh Rain duuing a Downshift.

If my Math is correct, a "Dedecated Set" of OEM (Gotta show some Class dudes, even in the Winter!) Wheels and Winter Tires could be Dealer Installed and your Summer Set stored for inder $2,500.00.

Cheaper than Body Shop TIme!

:eek: :confused: :mad: ;) :cool:

Logan
08-15-2002, 08:42 AM
Thankfully, Winter is but a pleasant dream here in Dallas... I'll just stay home the one day it gets cold enough to ice up. :)

Wags
08-15-2002, 08:42 AM
I looked at my spare. It is a nice looking rim. What size tire is on it? The front or rear size? (I can't see the size, and too lazy to loosen and rotate to see)

WJSOLOMON
08-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Wags :"I looked at my spare. It is a nice looking rim. What size tire is on it? The front or rear size? (I can't see the size, and too lazy to loosen and rotate to see)"

Sadly but interestingly, it's the smaller Front Tire.

No "Wheelies" when you put it on after like knocking over a Bank or such...........You'll end up driving around in Circles (at 55 MPH or Less), untill Barney Fife and his Cadre show up.

:eek: :eek: ;) :cool:

scooter
08-24-2002, 01:12 PM
I am interested in the Marauder, but the lack of traction control is a concern since I live in a state (WI) that gets snow.

I have read that traction control will be available on the car this Fall, what month of Fall I don't know, but my dealer says there are no plans for traction control at this time per the Mercury rep he talked to.

Can anyone tell me with authority if this car is getting traction control or not, and how I can confirm this.

Dealer states the current "Positraction" or limited slip differential works well in snow per tests mercury did with it. Will traction control really work on this car considering the type of car it is (performance)?

Perhaps I should just go with a 2003 LSE version of the Grand Marquis. What's the big difference except for more power, tires, shocks, but base suspension about the same is it not?

Thank you much in advance for any comments.

Scott
Current car is a 2001 Grand Marquis GS w/handling package.

WJSOLOMON
08-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Logan "Look at your spare. It's the perfect winter tire rim... Unpolished,cast version of the marauder wheel. I bet they're pretty cheap at the parts counter...."

"TO BE THE MAN. YOU'VE GOT TO LOOK LIKE THE MAN."

For a few dollars more, ypu can look like the "Man", and Be the "Man", with the OEM 5-Spoke Highly Polished Stainless Stee Wheels -Dude - you owe it to your self to maintain the High Profile.

We're in a "Nitche" by our selves - we deserve to maintain the Standard.

Am I Right, or am I Wrong?

Logan
08-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Yes, traction control really is coming, not as a option, but as standard equipment. It'll be on the cars along with the new optional moonroof, light slate interiors, and pearl blue paint later this year.

scooter
08-25-2002, 01:37 PM
I believe it's coming too, but my dealer (new car manager) insists he knows nothing about it and wants to sell me the current Marauder without traction control.

In your opinion, would traction control be a must in Wis. or snowy areas? I wonder why it was not put on the first cars that are out now. Shouldn't a dealer now if these options are coming down the road?

Lastly, do you know when these ones with traction control might be available at dealers?

I am supposed to take a Marauder out tomorrow for an extended test drive. When I get back, I'm sure their going to start getting down to where the rubber meets the road--buying the thing or not. But, this traction control thing is bothering the heck out of me.

I appreciate your help Logan. Thank you.

Scott.

Logan
08-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Having lived in Canada for the first 27 years of my life, I'm no stranger to winter and can tell you that in my opinion, any traction control unit is simply fluff.

I personally could care less about traction control and most certainly wouldn't put off a purchasing decision if traction control was my hold-up.

I use the "Lift the right foot" method of traction control. It works infinitely better anyway.

Wags
08-26-2002, 05:34 AM
I agree with Logan. My Impala has posi, and we have bad winters hear (outside of Chicago), and I made through 6 winters with it. What made a huge difference was not running the stock tires. I have a different set for the winter. Plus, with the Marauder, you can start off in 2nd gear.

Logan
08-26-2002, 07:02 AM
Yeah, that's an excellent point. Don't want to worry about traction? Go buy a set of cast, cop car rims and stick some big knobby winter tires on em. Problem solved. :)

WJSOLOMON
08-26-2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Logan :"Yeah, that's an excellent point. Don't want to worry about traction? Go buy a set of cast, cop car rims and stick some big knobby winter tires on em. Problem solved. :)"

You guys are halfway there with this Car. With very little weight over the new 4.10 Rear Axle, and all of those extra Ponies hitched up to the Drive Train, Sicky Tires will help. But without the Computor Enhancement of Traction-Lok, working in conjunction with the ABS System many multiple times a second to control the power to each one of the four wheels, it's still likely to slide and swerve on patches of Ice on Interstate Bridges, or down through the Wooded Roads where the Sun can't melt the Ice for weeks at a time.

Keep the Gas Tank Full, Fill up the $200.00 Trunk Organizer with Premium Beach Sand, mount a Statue of St. Christoper on the Dash, and for good luck, I'm hanging the Rosary Beads around the Mirror.

I'm planning on driving with One Hand on those Dark and Dangerous Nights, with the other Hand on the family jewels, so if I do hit a Patch of "Black Ice"..........we're all goin' "BA _ _S To The Walls"!

:eek: :eek: :confused: :p ;) :cool: