PDA

View Full Version : Which Magnaflow Muffler?

Mard
11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Hello all,
Looking for some help choosing the correct mufflers for my stock exhaust system. I'm going with Magnaflows based upon how they sound on my pickup (fairly quiet inside/very nice outside). I have Flowmasters on my 5.0 Mustang and I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow sound. Looking through Magnaflows website I came up with a few options. These are based upon previous posts that suggested 18 inch body mufflers. These are 2.25" offset/offset (correct:confused:).

4x9 oval stainless part #14365
5x8 oval stainless part # 14262
4x9 aluminized part # 11265

Anyone know whether I need a 4x9 or 5x8 and if the stainless is worth the extra expense? All mufflers come with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks,
Mark

BillyGman
11-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Mark, first off, it's the 4"x9" ones you want if you're talking about a Marauder (you didn't specify that). Secondly, even with a lifetime warantee, that will not cover any labor costs invloved that would accompany a muffler change, so I'd rather go with the stainless steel ones. Thirdly, it depends what sound you're looking for. the 18" "wide open" Magnaflows are what many of us have gone with on our Marauders, but there are a couple people who said they were too loud for them. So you have to consider if your truck has the "wide-open" straight-thru design Magnaflows, or the Magnaflow "XL" mufflers, which are triple baffle mufflers, and are a bit quieter I'm sure.

If you want the ones w/out baffles like I and many other Marauder owners here have chosen, then that's part # 14355 for the stock diameter of 2.25". But if you want the quieter magnaflows with the baffles in them, then that's part #13255 which are the Magnaflow "XL" mufflers. Both part #'s are for the 18" muffler body, which is what you'll need for a Marauder.

Murader03
12-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know about what will happen with the Magnaflows, but I installed FlowMasters on mine. Now keep in mind, I also had my original tips replaced so the placement when that was done made them just about 1/2" short of the end of the bumper. Now, when the FlowMasters were installed, the tips ended up about 1 to 2 inches short of the bumper. This made for some really loud drone on the inside of the car, I couldn't stand it. Had the original baffle tips installed and had the pipes lengthened to that the tips extended back to their approximate original postion before all the replacements started. Drone inside is gone. So, make sure that the tips extend to their original position at the least.......

jaywish
12-01-2004, 01:11 PM
You might want to check out this thread before going with the magnaflows.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13688

Good Luck,
Jay