PDA

View Full Version : Snows on, tire depth an issue?

Digital Man
12-03-2004, 06:17 AM
I picked up steelies from Crappytire, and went with the X-ICE (lattitude) tire combo. Everything seems good, and they look cool. However, the generic Crown Vic rims bring the tire depth out. Thus the rear are splashing some serious crap up along the side of my car and rim.

Should I be concered with this? Anyone else experiancing this?:type:

SergntMac
12-03-2004, 06:28 AM
I picked up steelies from Crappytire, and went with the X-ICE (lattitude) tire combo. Everything seems good, and they look cool. However, the generic Crown Vic rims bring the tire depth out. Thus the rear are splashing some serious crap up along the side of my car and rim. Should I be concered with this? Anyone else experiancing this?:type:
Well, I don't know the offset of the wheels you selected, but I am sure they are not 50mm. This would make the tires appear to stick out more, because they do. Mud flaps anyone?

Bradley G
12-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Hey MM'ersI don't see mud flaps being something that would look good on our cars.But if they were very small (low profile)and weren't too noticable,I guess that would be OK.But then I wonder how effective they would be?Anyone?
Bradley G

Digital Man
12-03-2004, 06:47 AM
Hey MM'ersI don't see mud flaps being something that would look good on our cars.But if they were very small (low profile)and weren't too noticable,I guess that would be OK.But then I wonder how effective they would be?Anyone?
Bradley G
In my case, probably useless. I can see in the side mirror the water splashing up underneath the rim. I'm just worried this might cause damage and serious corrosion. I have had it sprayed.

I'll try to get some pics later, and post them.

CRUZTAKER
12-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Mine did this too, to an extent. The wheels stuck out about a half inch or more.

Considering the entire rear lower quarter panel is all plastic, it's not gonna rust.

telson
12-03-2004, 10:46 AM
While not directly relevant to the current discussion (you already have your wheels), you can see a pic that shows my alloy snow rims are still within the body, here:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14195

I hadn't expected any practical benefits to buying alloy wheels, but maybe there is one! Would this justify the additional $500 cost? Doubtful! I merely include this observation in case some later reader is considering alloy vs. steel rims and would like another consideration.

Digital Man
12-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Here are the pics....

I know the back is plastic, but I am more worried about the rim and wheel well.

Sorry, I know, it needs to be cleaned. That'll happen today.

TripleG
12-04-2004, 08:43 AM
I purchased the two differant size snow tire's last year for my 300A MM. I had the same problem and notice more crap spraying about. The problem I had is the lights pointed down and I really had a hard time seeing at night!!!

I traded the Alpine's for 4 215 /R65 16 yesterday. What a difference I can see much better at night :banana:.

Added bonus the car has better pick up with the smaller rear tires.

Will the speedometer readings be effected with the smaller rear tires? :confused:

RF Overlord
12-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Will the speedometer readings be effected with the smaller rear tires?

Hey, George!...long time no see!

Yes, your speedo will read high if the rear tire diameter is smaller.

Digital Man: although you might scratch the paint or sandblast the clear-coat off the lower quarters, my bigger concern is that the front wheels may cause your alignment to be incorrect, wearing the tires excessively or even causing abnormal wear of front-end components...anytime you change the wheels and/or tires from the stock configuration, you should have the alignment checked.

CRUZTAKER
12-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Ahhh, I wouldn't worry too much.

With as much rubber that many of us spin up into the wells and such, it's just a case of cleaning and waxing more often.

My slicks stick out massively...it's just a case of washing the trunk lid now!:D

rayjay
12-04-2004, 03:41 PM
I bought my package from Tirerack and do not have this problem. The wheel/tires sit inside the wheel wells. I also put mud flaps on right after buying the car in a attempt to keep the cow manure on the sides to a minimum. It worked pretty well. If they use sand on the roads in you area, you'll be re painting the sand blasted area on a regular basis. Here its considered routine maintenance :mad2:

Marauder04
12-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Rayjay,
What set up did u go with????

rayjay
12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Rayjay,
What set up did u go with????
Tirerack steel wheels, 16x7, WinterForce tires, 215/65/16 front, 225/70/16 rears. CVPI acorn style center caps. I went with the Winterforce tires due their aggressive tread pattern for snow. I work nights in a rural area. Plows are off the roads 1/2 hr before I leave for work so quite often I have to blaze my own trail. I am pleased with their performance. I have been able to turn off a road and go straight up hill on a unplowed road with no problems.

Marauder04
12-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info Rayjay:beer:

2003DOHC
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Here are the pics....

I know the back is plastic, but I am more worried about the rim and wheel well.

Sorry, I know, it needs to be cleaned. That'll happen today.

You may already know but you have 2002 and older style wheels!