PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Question...

Petrograde
12-03-2004, 07:29 PM
what causes catalytic converters to get clogged up?

..and what are the symptoms?

just curious :confused:

thanks

DirtyDog
12-03-2004, 08:10 PM
what causes catalytic converters to get clogged up?

..and what are the symptoms?

just curious :confused:

thanks

Here the long story. http://rotarynews.com/?q=node/view/164 If you want the short story go to paragraph 6.

Dave

KilledKenny
12-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Plugged converters can cause quite a few symptoms depending on the type of exhaust and how bad the converters are plugged.
1) Lacks power, esp under heavy load.
2) Check engine light, Missfire codes and or EGR codes for vehicles with back pressure sensors, (sometimes the hose to the sensor will keep poping off under load)
3) No start or runs for a min then stalls. Sometimes vehicle will have a loud hissing sound.
4) On V6, V8 and V10's with a converter comming off each head. If a converter on either side is plugged you might have one side of the engine completely dead. Vehicle will run very rough.
Causes of converter failures,
1) Wrong type of fuel (leaded fuel) Certain fuel additives.
2) Base engine troubles, Coolant leak into cylinders, excssive oil consumption.
3) Converter ceramic breaks apart inside converter, usually due to impact or major engine backfire out exhaust.

Petrograde
12-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys! :up:

rumble
12-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Oh-Oh, Tom you having a problem?

Petrograde
12-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Oh-Oh, Tom you having a problem?

oh no Gary,.. no probs here. I was reading about Ross' cat woes, and didn't wanna further derail the thread by asking.

CRUZTAKER
12-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Good question, and better answers. :up:

I have wondered what the occational leaded fuel does to mine. Bear in mid I have free flows, and just two, no longer the four stockers.

rumble
12-04-2004, 04:30 PM
My experience has been that leaded gas normally renders the cat ineffective, the lead evidently coats the elements inside the cat.

Catastrophic failure, when the cat comes apart inside, is usually caused
by miss-fire or poor tune. When a cat fails the important thing is to
find out why and correct it before putting a new one on. If the cause
is not rectified you can lose the new cat also.

jgc61sr2002
12-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Plugged converters can cause quite a few symptoms depending on the type of exhaust and how bad the converters are plugged.
1) Lacks power, esp under heavy load.
2) Check engine light, Missfire codes and or EGR codes for vehicles with back pressure sensors, (sometimes the hose to the sensor will keep poping off under load)
3) No start or runs for a min then stalls. Sometimes vehicle will have a loud hissing sound.
4) On V6, V8 and V10's with a converter comming off each head. If a converter on either side is plugged you might have one side of the engine completely dead. Vehicle will run very rough.
Causes of converter failures,
1) Wrong type of fuel (leaded fuel) Certain fuel additives.
2) Base engine troubles, Coolant leak into cylinders, excssive oil consumption.
3) Converter ceramic breaks apart inside converter, usually due to impact or major engine backfire out exhaust.

Excellent answer. :D :up: