PDA

View Full Version : New member problem

Sidney
02-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Hey guys, I am a new member, and just bought a MM yesterday. I am very upset. There seems to be a slight thumping coming from the engine driver valve cover. If they have to go inside engine, I will request to recieve another car. I only have 80 miles, and had the car less than 24 hours. The bad part is a sunroof was cut in. On my way to dealer today.l :mad:

Effster
02-01-2003, 08:38 AM
sidney,,never ever do an aftermarket sunroof install.......factory only

nomad
02-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Sydney, every now and then a lemon gets through.:(
No matter how inept we make our dealers sound at times, I'm confident Lincoln Mercury will make this right.;) Hang in there! You've got a GREAT ride:D Keep us posted:coolman:

Racerx88
02-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Are you sure it's not the air pump for the rear air suspension making the noises? Just a thought.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with an aftermarket sunroof install as long as it's done by a good shop.

Sidney
02-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Went to the dealer, and the pulled another marauder next to mine. My car continued thump around the passenger valve cover. They wanted me to break it in, and if I had any problems they would give me another engine. Monday I have to get another car. By the way they have another one with TC, clock, and gas door release, and full size spare, but it has 74 miles on it.

RF Overlord
02-02-2003, 06:19 PM
So are you asking whether you should take the other one with 74 miles on it?

Sidney
02-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Yes, just wondering since another one has 5 miles. Both are 300B. Still has to be driven to get roof.

Bigdogjim
02-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Sidney: Welcome. Sorry to hear of your problem."By the way they have another one with TC, clock, and gas door release, and full size spare, but it has 74 miles on it" Does your MM have these items? If not and they are offering another MM and will put a sunroof in it for the same price then I would switch.70 miles is not a lot. I have seen MM with 300+ on the lot as new not demos. When I got mine in Sept. they let me test drive one that had 400 miles on it and somebody bought it. I also agree with Racerx88 as long as the shop does good work it will fine. Hope it works out in your favor let us know.
Big Dog :rock: :banana:

Sidney
02-02-2003, 06:57 PM
My original MM roof was done perfect by an ASC company. Same dark headliner,and they kept the front and middle map lights. I noticed pictures of other members cars with theirs taken out. Mine almost looked stock. When I get a new car I will post pictures. But thanks for the concern guys. I guess 74 miles isn't much when I will have all the options of 300A and 300B.

RF Overlord
02-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Take either of the the other ones, dude...let someone else worry about the knocking sound...even if they'll give you a new motor, it'll still be a PITA to deal with, plus the time lost not driving your baby...

Sidney
02-02-2003, 07:09 PM
You are right. I am currently driving a 2003 Grand Marquis demo. I miss the performance. Hope they can make the switch tomorow.

jgc61sr2002
02-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Sidney If you have the opportunity to take another one do so by all means. ASAP. John

Sidney
02-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Will be switching the vin# tomorow just hope they can finish the roof. Boy, I have sign all those purchase forms all over again. Good chance to make Stu Evans LM throw in something extra.

Effster
02-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Make them put the roof in ,,free of charge.If you ***** and moan enough they will.Let ford eat it.

LincMercLover
02-02-2003, 09:01 PM
In my expirences with dealers, all you gotta do is make a mention of Detroit and they'll be :bows: to you. Just a thought... I'd definately demand a new car!

SergntMac
02-03-2003, 05:45 AM
I would like to lear what the "thumping" is all about...

Sidney
02-03-2003, 06:20 PM
WEll pick up my new car tomorow. They would not say what the thumping was, and the car is no where to be found on there lot. All they could give me was 5 free oil changes. But at least I got a 300B with the clock, remote gas cover and a full size spare. Now, I just want my car

TAF
02-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Now go enjoy her...

Topher
02-04-2003, 05:30 PM
Back when I got my new '96 Tbird the Ford dealer gave me a lifetime free oil change card. I mentioned that to the L/M sales manager when I picked up the marauder, but he said his dealership has never done that. Anybody else ever get one of these with their purchase?

Chris

RF Overlord
02-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Nope...I never got squat from any dealer...'course I always went in and said: "I want THIS car...and THIS is what I want to pay", so they had no incentive to offer me anything... :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
02-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Sidney: Yes! Win one for our side. Way to go! Got to love it! Well anyway enjoy the car. :beer: :beer:

Big Dog :rock: :rock:

martyo
02-04-2003, 06:15 PM
My dealer gave me th option of lifetime oil changes on the following basis: (i) free oil changes every 5,000 miles or (ii) free oil changes every second oil change if I am on a 3,000 mile interval.

A bunch of fine print goes with this, but I think I can handle that. The service department is well run and the guys there like my MM (in fact, I took delivery in the service bays).

RF Overlord
02-04-2003, 08:22 PM
stanleyk:

Take the deal and run...

I change my own oil just because making an appt at the dealer and leaving it there is a major PITA...even if I could wait for it, it's still an hour's round trip...plus my wife drives a lot for her work and I'd be at the dealer every other month. Not to mention that they will put in 5W-20 and I'm not too keen on that.

All that being said, I would gladly take either of those offers...getting out and setting up the ramps, trying to drive the Blackbird onto them with a twitchy throttle and not overshoot...disposing of the old oil, bah...who needs it...go for number (ii) (ii...what are you, a lawyer?!) and take it to Jiffy Lube every other time...

...unless you're gonna use AMSOIL or Mobil 1...then disregard everything I just said...

martyo
02-04-2003, 10:10 PM
It was a no brainer (works well for me). I chose option (ii). My motto: "If it's free, it's for me!!"

looking97233
02-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Funny my dealer beat Jiffy Lube's price by almost $30 on an oil change. That would be the $5/qt. extra jiffy lube charges for synthetic oil.

Macon Marauder
02-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Sidney,

Great news!

Chris,
Never got free oil changes. Got 1 free with this Marauder. Probably won't use it, though. Not crazy about the service dept at the dealer I bought from.

I think it's all comes down to the deal. You could probably have negotiated for free oil changes with a "Sales Mgr." I do the same with extended warranties: get their final offer and then ask them to throw in a "free" warranty. Would probably work with oil changes, too. IMHO.