PDA

View Full Version : Blizzak WS-50 235/55/18 *Pics*

HwyCruiser
12-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Here's some pics of the Blizzack WS-50 235/55/18 'Q' speed-rated snow tires on my MM:

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/2/1594blizzak1-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/2/1594Blizzak2-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/2/1594Blizzak3-med.jpg

Ordered them from the Tire Rack via the mm.net link for $135 ea, $582.72 delivered. I should have bought BlueOval's, but you snooze you lose as they say.

A Tire Rack rep called me the day after I ordered them online to discuss the application because of the "winter tire package" they already have set up for the Marauder. I told him I couldn't go with the 16"s due to clearance issues with the Wilwoods and available wheels, that I did some homework already and to go ahead and release them. I thanked him for checking in with me anyways. Got them two days later. :up:

The speedo is supposed to be just 1 mph off at 60 mph. The tires are basically the same diameter as the rear and the same width as the front. Clearance in the front is a little tight to the inside rear of the wheel well when the tire is cranked all the way out as in the last pic, but there's enough to get you fingers behind there. I don't have traction control, so there's been no issues with running the same size tire all around.

The winter tires don't look too bad, IMHO. Not as bad as the steelies anyways. :D There's a little road noise on dry pavement with the windows down but not much. Dry traction is fine as long as you aren't horsing around. I think wet traction so far has been better than the BFG's. No snow yet but I'll give an opinion when I get into it.

Last year I was biting my fingers when driving through wet, heavy snow...
but now I can't wait to have at it. :burn:

woaface
12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Put the BFG's on and I'll give you my minivan for the winter. I'll take really good care of your MM:D

2003DOHC
12-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Yes you should have bought my set,j/k. You will be very pleased with the traction in the snow. I have used them since 1996.

HwyCruiser
12-05-2004, 05:35 PM
snip

Yes you should have bought my set,j/k.

Thanks for rubbing it in. :P

All it took was one snow storm to get me motivated. KC got 6 inches over Thanksgiving... I wasn't in town but knew what I was doing as soon as I got back.

Now we probably won't have any snow for weeks. It's usually 50/50 if we have a white Christmas around here. At least I now have some peace of mind.

HwyCruiser
12-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Put the BFG's on and I'll give you my minivan for the winter. I'll take really good care of your MM:D

Nah, if it gets bad enough to close the schools (which they do at the drop of a hat - or flake that is) I take my wife's AWD Escape to work.

Other than for going into work, the MM's in the garage. Besides, why would I want to drive anything other than the MM?

Nice try though.

David Morton
12-05-2004, 07:01 PM
If I were a yankee I'd buy a 24V Sable for use in the snow and ice. :D

It's the one thing FWD cars are good for, for men that is. :D

EbonyMarauder03
12-11-2004, 05:49 AM
I have those same Blizzaks on the steel wheels. I was fortunate enough to get a set of Police center caps from a good friend at a local township. So far they are holding up to my slightly aggressive road driving. In the wet they light up much easier than my BFG's and the steering is much easier, too. I want my bigger BFG's back though. :bigcry: I can't wait for winter to be gone.

p.s. It probably won't snow in S.E. Penna since I've got snows on this year. :mad:

HwyCruiser
12-11-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm afraid the way I'm going these Blizzak's won't last long... I noticed my today my pass rear 1/4 panel had ribbons of rubber and black soot on it and a bunch of soot on the drivers side. At night I've been seeing some smoke in the rear view mirror during moderate lauches... now I know why. :rolleyes:

A week and a half of no snow so far, just dry roads. I swear I haven't been doing any intentional burnouts :D. If I gotta go around driving like an old man so I don't burn up $600 worth of snow tires in one season this is going to be a looooong winter.

BillyGman
12-11-2004, 11:18 PM
You might want to be careful about your driving habits w/snow tires while the roads are dry. Many snow tires that are manufactured these days have the outer ayer of rubber laced with some type of silica based material which makes the rubber stay softer when the temperatures drop below freezing, which is one of the reasons why many of the top name brands do very well in the snow. And the down side of having that outer layer of silica based material for better traction, is that it wears very quickly on dry pavement. Especially if you're spinning those tires from time to time.

I learned this the hard way w/my snow tires that I bought last year for my Marauder. I also made the mistake of leaving them on well into the month of April. So I already had to buy new snows for the back again this year. The silica base on those type of tires is only in the outer 55% of the tread thickness, and once you wear the tire past that, it won't grab as good in the snow.

2003DOHC
12-12-2004, 07:00 AM
I'm afraid the way I'm going these Blizzak's won't last long... I noticed my today my pass rear 1/4 panel had ribbons of rubber and black soot on it and a bunch of soot on the drivers side. At night I've been seeing some smoke in the rear view mirror during moderate lauches... now I know why. :rolleyes:

A week and a half of no snow so far, just dry roads. I swear I haven't been doing any intentional burnouts :D. If I gotta go around driving like an old man so I don't burn up $600 worth of snow tires in one season this is going to be a looooong winter.

Yes do not spin the rears if at all possible on dry pavement. I only drive about 4k in the winter so I get 5 or 6 years out of my blizzaks. As stated above only the first 55% of tread is the winter compound. You will find 2 sets of wear bars on the tires. They are excellent in the snow!!

Marauder04
12-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Are we better off,using 18",than the 16" set up????????????

2003DOHC
12-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Are we better off,using 18",than the 16" set up????????????

Both should give you the same results excellent traction in the snow. The 16 inch tire and steel wheel package being the least expensive. If you have an extra set of Marauder wheels I would use the 18 inch blizzaks for a more stock look. Some have purchased 16 inch alloy wheels with the blizzaks also!

HwyCruiser
12-12-2004, 01:57 PM
You might want to be careful about your driving habits w/snow tires while the roads are dry. Many snow tires that are manufactured these days have the outer ayer of rubber laced with some type of silica based material which makes the rubber stay softer when the temperatures drop below freezing, which is one of the reasons why many of the top name brands do very well in the snow. And the down side of having that outer layer of silica based material for better traction, is that it wears very quickly on dry pavement. Especially if you're spinning those tires from time to time.

I learned this the hard way w/my snow tires that I bought last year for my Marauder. I also made the mistake of leaving them on well into the month of April. So I already had to buy new snows for the back again this year. The silica base on those type of tires is only in the outer 55% of the tread thickness, and once you wear the tire past that, it won't grab as good in the snow.

Billy,

Points well taken. I've resigned myself from getting into the pedal until the winter season is over. I probably put them on a month too soon since the first winter scare around here... there hasn't been a flake in sight. :o

Marauder04,

The reason I went with the 18" Blizzak's, besides fitment issues with the Wilwoods, is I'm hoping to aquire a another set of OEM wheels over the winter (possibly widened rears) with tires dedicated for dry pavement. Also the thought of running around with steelies for 3-4 months out of the year is more than I can bear.

So far I've found nothing so far to refute Bridgestone's claim that the Blizzak "provides improved wet and dry handling, better balance, and improved durability." Dry pavement highway driving hasn't noticably been effected, which I would have expected the first thing to suffer.

OK, so I'll give them the :up: so far on the dry pavement with the caveat of moderation. I'm actually wishing for a lttle snow now.

Marauder04
12-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the information......I can't see steelies for 3-4 months either,but in some area,where they get alot of snow,YES Steelies,would be logical.....I will go with the 18" also..Keep us post went you get snow....

RF Overlord
12-12-2004, 02:17 PM
This isn't Marauder-related, but I had a set of Blizzaks for my previous company work truck, which was a '95 GMC Sierra 4X2 pick-up. As everyone knows, 2-wheel drive pick-ups are WAY excellent in the snow :rolleyes: , but with the Blizzaks that truck went EVERYWHERE with complete confidence...never got stuck or even came close. It was at least as good as my current work sled, an '01 GMC Safari AWD van...which looks and feels like a Tonka-toy... :razz: , but actually goes very nicely in snow, even with the factory tires.

BillyGman
12-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Just a note:

Last year everyone who bought snow tires for their Marauders bought the 16" ones simply because there weren't any 18" snow tires for cars offered until this year (arleast not to my knowledge). Up until several months ago, the only 18" snow tires were the 70 and 75 series tires which have very high profiles, and therefore wouldn't fit underneath the Marauder fender wells w/out rubbing. But now Blizzaks are avilable in P235/55/18" so they can be used on the Marauder. However, there aren't any 18" steel wheels available. So if you go w/the 18" snow tires, then you'll have to use your mags all winter long.

Marauder04
12-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks BillyGman,for the information:beer:

Harvey

QWK SVT
12-12-2004, 07:06 PM
However, there aren't any 18" steel wheels available. So if you go w/the 18" snow tires, then you'll have to use your mags all winter long.
Which is exactly why I went with a 16" package. The stock wheels are some of the nicest ever to be put on, by a factory. I'd rather look more like a cop, for a couple months, that risk a scratch. My stockers are have a coat of polish turing to a glaze, as I type :cool: