PDA

View Full Version : Help out a cousin - Grand Marquis tips

InkBlot
12-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Howdy folks,
Some of you know me. I don't post frequently, but being Cruzer's son-in-law, I keep fairly up to date on Marauder happenings (what, Cruzer? talk about his Marauder?)

So, not being fortunate enough to be in the Marauder Owner's group, I got as close as I could...a 2001 Grand Marquis LSE...the limited edition with the Marauder-style center console. It's also got a dual exhaust (although, not the same pipes as the Marauder), and a 3.27:1 rear axle ratio...so, a bit beefier than a standard LS.

I'm thinking of embarking on a program of improvements, partly for performance but mostly for efficiency. I was thinking of begining with an air filter kit, either an K&N or the more moderatly priced JLT kits. So question number one is, does anyone know if these Marauder air kits would fit my LSE?

Further down the line, I might look at high performance mufflers, maybe even new pipes (poss. even Marauder pips :burnout: ). My second question, at this time, is how far can I go without jeopardizing my dealer warranty? Is replacing the airbox with a conical filter OK? New (non-standard) pipes? New (non-standard) mufflers? Eventually, I may go so far as to look at my headers, but I know THAT will void warranty.

So, I'm looking for insight, from the most knowledgable mercury folks I know of. Anyone else know the LSE? Anyone have any advice for small improvements I can do myself, or on the cheap, to improve performance/mileage in my car?

Thanks for reading this, and thanks double if you choose to reply!

InkBlot
:eek:

Patrick
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi I cant give much advice on most of your questions I did a direct replacement with a K @ N air filter. You should have the same set up. I just dropped the ne filter in and dont no about numbers, that issue is sort of tabbo. But I did notice some more life with it. I hope this helps and hope others will join in and help.

SouLRioT
12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
How much do you have left on your warranty? Because if that one of your concerns, your car beeing a 01 it should be up soon, unless you have a extened one.

DEFYANT
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Search and ye shall find. You could drop in a K&N with before and after dyno runs.... then post your amazing power increase. Did you ever hear of Nomex?

crom
12-08-2004, 09:47 AM
There was another thread here where someone asked about the JLT intake fitting a Crown Vic I believe. Tucker from JLT responded that it would not fit if I remember correctly. Good luck with the Mods.

Haggis
12-08-2004, 10:01 AM
My second question, at this time, is how far can I go without jeopardizing my dealer warranty?...InkBlot

Did you remove the rubberbands from your seatbelts?
If you did there goes your warranty? ;)

2003 MIB
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Check your PMs...I think Santa's coming a little earlier this year.

Bluerauder
12-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Did you remove the rubberbands from your seatbelts?
If you did there goes your warranty? ;)
Hey, I don't remember no stinking rubberbands on the seatbelts. :D Must have been another "decontented" item. :rofl:

RF Overlord
12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Welcome, InkBlot...do you also post on CVN? Someone there uses the same avatar...I like it... :)

As far as performance mods for the GM, many of the same ones we make can also be done to the CV/GM...underdrive pulleys, a chip or hand-held tuner/cooler plugs/thermostat and a bigger rear sway bar are a few that come to mind that aren't terribly expensive and you can DIY. Replacing the air box and MAF with the Marauder versions seems to be a popular mod with the guys on CVN, too, and apparently produces more gain than a conical filter, although you WILL need a chip or PCM re-flash to do it.

As far as voiding your warranty, ANY mod you make CAN void it, depending on how mod-friendly your dealer is...some are real hard-asses, while others will actually install mods for you...it's a crap-shoot...as SouLRioT said, if you're near the end of your warranty, just go for it! If the warranty issue scares you, then I suggest you do nothing until the warranty is up...

InkBlot
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
How much do you have left on your warranty? Because if that one of your concerns, your car beeing a 01 it should be up soon, unless you have a extened one.

I have a 7/70, and I'm probably about 48,000 miles right now. So, a bit of time left to go. I think I'm safe on small stuff like an air filter, flowmasters might push it.

InkBlot

InkBlot
12-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Welcome, InkBlot...do you also post on CVN? Someone there uses the same avatar...I like it... :)

No, but then I stole this avatar from somewhere else waaaaay back when, so it could have a common source. This CVN, I'm guessing Crown-Vic related? Got a link?

As far as performance mods for the GM, many of the same ones we make can also be done to the CV/GM...underdrive pulleys, a chip or hand-held tuner/cooler plugs/thermostat and a bigger rear sway bar are a few that come to mind that aren't terribly expensive and you can DIY. Replacing the air box and MAF with the Marauder versions seems to be a popular mod with the guys on CVN, too, and apparently produces more gain than a conical filter, although you WILL need a chip or PCM re-flash to do it.
And it seems a lot of stock air boxes and MAF's from Marauders are all over the for-sale forums here, or ebay. The chip/PCM re-flash would be the sticking point for me. I gotta keep on the cheap as much as possible.

As far as voiding your warranty, ANY mod you make CAN void it, depending on how mod-friendly your dealer is...some are real hard-asses, while others will actually install mods for you...it's a crap-shoot...as SouLRioT said, if you're near the end of your warranty, just go for it! If the warranty issue scares you, then I suggest you do nothing until the warranty is up...
thanks...good advice. I always bring my cars to John Ealge LM, which many of the North Texas crew will recognize. I imagine they're probably fairly kind, having heard of enough people who used them to replace their drive shafts over the year.

InkBlot

jfclancy
12-08-2004, 01:58 PM
HEY INKBLOT
I have two K&N filters that do not fit my Marauder will happily give them to the Cruzer Thurs night.

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:

gdmjoe
12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
InkBlot ... No, but then I stole this avatar from somewhere else waaaaay back when, so it could have a common source. This CVN, I'm guessing Crown-Vic related? Got a link?
CrownVic.net (http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/index.php) . *More Panther platform ( Mercury - Marquis, Marauder, Ford - Crown Victoria, etc. ) related rather than to one particular vehicle.

Some of us have dueling forum memberships.

Embassy
12-08-2004, 03:00 PM
The general consensus on CVN is that a K&N filter will only lighten your wallet and not increase anything from a performance standpoint.

In addition, the filter oil can cause havoc with the MAF.

The only worthwhile upgrade on the intake side is a Maruader airbox, MAF, and custom programming. I realize this conflicts with your warranty.

Other than this modification, the factory throttlebody and intake flows well. From there, the restrictions lie in the heads and headers.

As RF Overlord stated, underdrives are a good start.

What does your warranty state regarding a gear swap or any transmission work?

RF Overlord
12-08-2004, 04:08 PM
^^^what Embassy said, about the K&N and the airbox^^^

CVN = www.crownvic.net

Anything posted by Embassy, JohnG, SVO-CVPI, Liquid, RonmanŽ, or Metroplex (plus a few others I can't think of at the moment) is good info...

There's another site, run by RonmanŽ, called CVU... www.crownvic.us

It's much newer and doesn't have as much traffic, but it's still a good resource...

CBT
12-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Trade that bad-boy in on a Marauder.:)

Paul T. Casey
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
IMHO, the man you should talk to is gdmjoe. He has about the sweetest Crown Vic I've seen, and it seems to make some power. Since the GM and the CV share the same powerplant and driveline, he'd probably be a good place to start.

cruzer
12-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Well, it's about time you showed up---you'll get the straight skinny here--JE knows I'm flashed and hasn't said anything--talk to me about prices---Now , Dan, you be good and Joe, thanks--see you tomorrow nite. Also, Rich, Cindy's car has a K&N in it --or should have if it hasn't been removed. See you this week-end, Pops

jgc61sr2002
12-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Rich - Welcome to the MM site. :D :welcome: