PDA

View Full Version : Lake Effect Snow Warning!

mpearce
12-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Hey Buckeyes...don't look now...but it's that time of year again! The Lake Erie snow machine has officially turned on for the winter! My favorite time of year. My window looks out on Lake Erie and for those of you familiar...I can see from Lakewood to Eastlake looking east along the shore. Everything past Downtown has dissapeared behind a giant curtain of Lake Effect Snow! Here's a clip from the national weather service...

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING TODAY AND TONIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND OH HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING.

COLD AIR GOING OVER THE RELATIVELY WARMER WATERS OF LAKE ERIE WILL
CAUSE LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND SOME SQUALLS TO DEVELOP TODAY THAT WILL CONTINUE INTO TONIGHT. GENERALLY 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL TODAY WHERE THE SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS PERSIST WITH AN ADDITIONAL 2 TO 5 INCHES TONIGHT. AS THE WEST WINDS SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST THIS AFTERNOON THIS WILL SHIFT THE HEAVIER BANDS OF SNOW INLAND.

The westside is forecast for 2-4 today, and another 1-3 tonight. I think I'm going to move to Ashtabula, or Chardon!

Enjoy the snow guys! :snowman:

-Mat

Amsoil_Dealer
12-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Lakewood to Eastlake looking east is a pretty doggone nice adrress.

I am an Ohio native and those snows are pretty cool. I was at a Browns game about 20 years ago when one came through and it was blast.

Enjoy it until the salt trucks get to it.

Don

mpearce
12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm a huge weather fan, had a minor in Meteorology from college, so Lake Effect snow is right up my alley. Most of you hate snow i'm sure, but this is an informational post. I like to gain 411, as much as I like to share 411.

Amsoil Dealer - Thanks, I'm lucky to have this view. It allows me to view for some pretty interesting weather events on an extremely large scale. On a clear day I can see from our clif, to downtown Cleveland, to the Lost Nation stacks, and then on to the Perry power plant. The shoreline takes a more easterly turn after lost nation, so the Perry stacks look as though they're over land, but they're actually on the shoreline.

Todays events...
Blue is Lake Snow Advisory - 2-4" snow
The teal or green color is the Lake Snow Warning area - 6-10" snow
Shoreline purple is a Gale Warning - waves 8-11ft
Wind 25-30kts, gusts to 50kts.

Hope you all enjoy! I'm sure this means CRUZTAKER will have to let his cat Leo out in the snow! I'm definitely headed out to do some Christmas shopping. Snow makes the holiday season just that much better!

:snowman:

-Mat

Haggis
12-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Well Matt thanks to your Lake effect snow far western Maryland is suppose to get a couple of inches today, I think between 2-6, but it will not reach this far east.

I personally don't mind the snow it just seems that everytime we get a major snow storm in the D.C. area I have to go to work and I hate having to drive the 40+ miles to get there. It wouldn't be so bad, but the the drivers in this area completely SUCK when it comes to driving in the snow.

Well off the rant now, have fun and enjoy the white stuff. :snowfalling:

Hack Goby
12-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Matt,I had to go to work today with icey roads.It wasnt bad starting up what was scary was getting on the gas even a little past 30mph the tires would start to slip.Good part is at 4:30am thers hardly anyone out there with me.

Petrograde
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
man,.... I hate to say this: But,.... I'm glad I don't live in Cleveland anymore! Only for that reason.

I hate spending 20 minutes scraping the car in the morning!

Good luck guys! I hope the MMs are warm and dry indoors!

mpearce
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Good part is at 4:30am thers hardly anyone out there with me.
Bless you for getting up that early. I can't function that early whatsoever...unless it's to get up for a Marauder event, or drag racing!

Hack, check your PM's

-Mat

mpearce
12-13-2004, 04:23 PM
I hope the MMs are warm and dry indoors!
I'm lucky to have an underground heated garage, and both cars covered. 2004 MM, and 1987 Turbo Regal TType. The MM won't be back on the road until late April.

-Mat

Petrograde
12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
I think this pretty much sums it up....

wsmylie
12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
MPEARCE...geeez, that's great news. Was planning a road trip to Cleveland area from FT. Lauderdale leaving on Friday to visit my elderly mom in nursing home in Brecksville during the holidays. Was gonna a drive a rented Merc GM (not going to drive MM up north in winter RE snow/road salt). Do you think maybe I should switch to a front wheel drive rental (Taurus maybe) for better traction??? Remember "lake effect" blizzards from growing up in Cleveland in 50's and 60's...nasty.

Ken
12-14-2004, 02:02 PM
MPEARCE...geeez, that's great news. Was planning a road trip to Cleveland area from FT. Lauderdale leaving on Friday to visit my elderly mom in nursing home in Brecksville during the holidays. Was gonna a drive a rented Merc GM (not going to drive MM up north in winter RE snow/road salt). Do you think maybe I should switch to a front wheel drive rental (Taurus maybe) for better traction??? Remember "lake effect" blizzards from growing up in Cleveland in 50's and 60's...nasty.Roads are bad if you are in the middle of the storm. Within a few hours the snow plow has been out and salted, and highways and main roads are clean. May take a little while longer for them to get to side streets and secondary roads. It is always worse when the storm hits at rush hour as it did yesterday, when everyone is on the road and snowplows are stuck in traffic like everyone else.
I took my SVT Lightning rims off my truck yesterday afternoon, came out 45 minutes later and could barely get out of my driveway and get to work, that is how quick and hard the storm hit. If I hadn't changed the tires, I'd never have made it to work, as MM wasn't coming out of garage, It wouldn't have made it out of driveway either.
Ken

mpearce
12-14-2004, 02:03 PM
MPEARCE...geeez, that's great news. Was planning a road trip to Cleveland area from FT. Lauderdale leaving on Friday to visit my elderly mom in nursing home in Brecksville during the holidays. Was gonna a drive a rented Merc GM (not going to drive MM up north in winter RE snow/road salt). Do you think maybe I should switch to a front wheel drive rental (Taurus maybe) for better traction??? Remember "lake effect" blizzards from growing up in Cleveland in 50's and 60's...nasty.
wsmylie...Brecksville about 20 minutes south of me, and right around CRUZTAKERS neighborhood. This lake effect is hard to predict. If you're coming in on friday here's the forecast...

Friday. Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 30s.

Friday night. Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s.

Of course...this is all subject to change. No one thought the east side would get 2 feet of snow a few days ago...so good luck!

-Mat