PDA

View Full Version : Sub foam removal

Reaper948
02-03-2003, 08:10 PM
I COuldnt fit the camera in so i used a blue light to highlight it...is that what im supposed to pull out? that the general area in where it's at? I dont want to pull out a completely unrelated piece of foam..............

HELP!

TAF
02-03-2003, 08:16 PM
SOMEONE HELP THIS GUY...HE'S GOING IN!!!!!!

LincMercLover
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
I SWEAR THAT REMINDS ME OF WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE COMING OUT OF MY MOTHERS WOMB! I do remember my own birth ya know... :D

Reaper948
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
I am definitely going in.........
im tired of that stupid popping

Murader03
02-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Reaper....The piece you need to remove can be reached from by removing the rear seat back and lifting the package tray. It covers the sub-woofer if it's in place. Most of us did not have this piece removed when the car was built. Do a search on sub woofer and you should find plenty on threads on this item.

martyo
02-04-2003, 12:31 AM
joeflewbyu also came up with a good method for tackling this issue. You should look for his thread too. His approach seemed easier than yanking out the back seat.

Dave Compson
02-04-2003, 09:25 AM
This is for the people who have removed the foam. Is there any bad side to doing this? Does the foam protect anything..??

Dave

RF Overlord
02-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
I SWEAR THAT REMINDS ME OF WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE COMING OUT OF MY MOTHERS WOMB! I do remember my own birth ya know... :D

That's 'cuz it was only 18 years ago! Wait 'til you're an old faht like some of us and see if you can remember what you had for breakfast!

:help: :shake: :lol:

Kelly
02-04-2003, 10:02 AM
The foam piece is right above the woofer and is about 1/4 inch thick and about 8 in dia.

jefferson-mo
02-04-2003, 10:05 AM
The BLACK "foam" that's in the sub(and looks like a scotch-brite) stays in....it keeps the junk out of the sub:banana2:

Reaper.........that's what you DO remove...you should be able to seperate it from underneath:rasta:

Flash
02-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Follow this to pictures of the piece to remove.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=969

WolfeBros
02-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Dave,
To answer your question. The foam cutout was supposed to be removed at the factory. Some cars got by with it in place and it blocks the air movement from the sub woofer.

Reaper948
02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
WHatever it is.....its hindering my rap music's Bass.....And i dont like it

Yes folks, RAP

Dave Compson
02-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. How exactly do i get to the foam. Has it been covered before?

Reaper948
02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
oh man its kind of hard.......its all the way behind the amplifier box.......behind the wires, ON THE TOP!....youll find it eventually
just have patience

WolfeBros
02-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi Dave.....do a search on sub woofer.....it has been covered in several threads. If you do not find it or have questions don't hesitate to ask.
You will get the help you need here on this board. :)

Dave Compson
02-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks alot, i'll take it out tommrow morning.

Dave

Murader03
02-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave Compson
Thanks for the reply. How exactly do i get to the foam. Has it been covered before?

Dave:
Some have been able top remove the foam by removing the speaker grill from the drivers side speaker on the package tray. Myself, I popped the rear seat out, took out the two bolts holding the seat back in place and removed it. You can then reach under the package tray and remove the foam piece over the sub if it's there. Some came with it , others came without it from the factory. The cover over the sub itself stays in place.

martyo
02-05-2003, 03:46 AM
Marauder03: In case I decide to take the back seat out myself (as opposed to letting the dealer fix my BRAND NEW(!!!!) car, what's the process? My sub doesn't work at all and from what i gather from the posts and threads here, there may be a wire behind the seat that is the culprit.

Thanks!

LincMercLover
02-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Push back and up on the bottom rear seat. It'll unclip. there are two bolt that hold the top rear rest in place. Remove those and lift that portion up and out. Before all this, you need to pop the C-pillar panel off. Then the package tray will silde out after you unscrew the high brake light.

Murader03
02-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Stankley: Don't kow about the wire as all I had was the foam in place. LMLover has you pulling the wentire package tray put which really isn't needed as the foam over the sub woofer can be removed without this step. Just slip your fingers under the tray and gently remove the foam. If you think your sub isn't working, crank up the sound, hit button 3 anmd 6 on the radio together and listen for the sound to rotate through the speaker.

WolfeBros
02-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Sorry but you do not need to pull the seat to get the foam cutout removed. Its less than a 10 minute job if you remove the speaker grill from inside the car.

martyo
02-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Guys: I got the sub working without removing the seat. Just in case though LML, does the C-pillar cover snap off? Wolfe, I assume if the foam is still in place, it will be obvious because it does not appear to be there.

This weekend I hope to replace the door and rear deck speakers. I will leave the sub alone for now and then decide what to do next sound system wise.

As always, thanks for the help.

WolfeBros
02-05-2003, 02:32 PM
StanleyK.....Yeah you can feel the foam and its obvious when it is there.
As a 2nd check I climbed in the back seat with the radio playing and put my hand up over the sub woofer to feel the air movement as well.
Glad you got yours going !

LincMercLover
02-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Yah, the c-pillar is held in with push clips.

martyo
02-05-2003, 03:18 PM
LML: I have grown spoiled by this website. Now, I remove the push clips by doing what ?????.......

I feel like I am being teased here....