PDA

View Full Version : Kooks install report + 1 trick

snowbird
12-19-2004, 10:20 AM
First of all, I’d like to thank MM.net site and users who took the time to report their experience. In particular, I’d mainly used the posts from Zack and from Five0 (08-13-2004) using the search feature (and print). I was able to pinpoint my installer what to expect for the installation of a complete Kooks kit . This was necessary since I was a bit worried about fitment and my installer, a local tuner with good experience on power adders, is a kind of “no flywheel, no rev limiter” variety: He is pretty quick on losing his temper. So my job was to keep is sugar level in check with doughnuts !! :banana2: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Install report:<o:p></o:p>

The install took (only ?) 6 hours flat for the headers, Xpipe and Magnaflow mufflers. My installer was still smiling when I left which tell a lot about how good the kit is. Afterwards, I went to a local muffler shop to soldier and align the tailpipes to the new mufflers (minor 15 minutes thing). :beer:
Everything went a lot better then expected using a shop lift, regular tools and extensions. A totally complete bolt on process, no bending or creative detour. We reused the stock steel gaskets and bolts and permatexed both sides prior to reinstall. Also, all oxygen sensors were transferred from the old Hpipe/cast collector to the new set up. Worth mentioning, all sensors fits at stock locations without extensions or wiring cut . :bows: <o:p></o:p>

We took the 2 wheels off, the passenger inner fender, unbolted the steering box shaft and battery, oil filter and airbox tube. The passenger side was a bit more difficult as there are the starter and the air conditioned compressor in the way. Instead of unbolting them, we elected to use a few well selected swear words, about 5 seconds for each part. To finish that side, we unbolted the engine support to lift the block 1-2 inch and used shortened studs for one or two bolts. On the driver side, it went easier but we needed two shortened studs as well and tiewrapped the transmission cable away from heat. The problem of the oil dipstick was eliminated by cutting the flange prior to install, a trick used locally by my installer on numerous mustangs with cheaper kits. He never had any leak problem.. On the Kooks, the tickness of the flange appears to be built for bulldozer purpose so I have no worry about this trick. The Xpipe and mufflers went in in minutes and are really easy to install. :D <o:p></o:p>

Finally, on start up, we didn’t experience any leaks or check engine crap. The way all bends go around parts and frame is amazing. Everywhere, we see tight clearance put to good use. The Kooks design score a 12 out of 1 to 10. :bows: <o:p></o:p>

Power: At this time of the year where I live (winter), it’s kind of hard to find a long enough clean asphalt strip to really test the thing. I wasn’t able to feel sizeable difference in the low rev range (0-2500rpm, city driving). I did manage to open it on <S>the highway once, passing by about a dozen right lane imports mix up to about 115 mph. The last ones shurely didn’t saw me coming. Just heard a V8 at work and felt driver side window chatters !!.</S> a privately held racing course (!). The gains goes (feel) with the rpm about as expected in some other posts. Nice. Really nice. :banana: <o:p></o:p>

Noise and vibration: There’s a high frequency buzz that you can feel trough the body after idle up to about 2500rpm that is a bit annoying. I mean a bit and not a lot.. Maybe it explain why they put what appears to be balancing weight the size of a kiwi on the stock mufflers. Sound is a matter of personal taste. I find it a bit too noisy in the 1000-2500rpm range. We lose the corporate image. Above that, it’s nirvana to redline: just the right amount of V8 raucous “bye bye I’m gone” kind of sound. Nice. Really nice. <o:p></o:p>

To summarize: I’m happy with the parts, the install process and the results. I recommend that mod. :burn:

FiveO
12-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Congrats....!

The Kooks system is an amazing fit.

My first couple days with them I was a bit worried about the interior noise...after about a week....I couldn't live without it.

I'm used to it now and wouldn't have it any other way. Love this system!

SergntMac
12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Great post! Thanks!

jgc61sr2002
12-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Great post! Thanks!

I couldn't agree more. :D

BillyGman
12-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Sound is a matter of personal taste. I find it a bit too noisy in the 1000-2500rpm range. We lose the corporate image. :burn: I can understand why you say that. Because the Kooks system isn't about looking, nor sounding "corporate" at all. It's just good ole hotrod stuff that gives your car a kind of macho hotrod growl along with some more power. That's all there is to it. Nothing elegant about it. Just plain mean....I luv it, and I've gotten many compliments on how my car sounds with the Kooks system.But all the compliments were from guys. It's mostly a guy thang, and only guys who are hi-performance enthusiasts deep down inside will appreciate it.And at the dragstrip, a Marauder with the Kooks complete exhaust package just commands respect from all onlookers when you hit the go pedal for your burnout as well as for the drag race!! :banana2:

But I also must add that it emits a tuned performance type of sound, and NOT one that sounds like your mufflers just fell off like some so called "performance" cars do.