PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Exhaust

RF Overlord
02-05-2003, 10:34 AM
The following is from a reply to a post on CVN about the Marauder exhaust system sound...

*** The Marauder Mufflers are made by Arvin Mentor, who designs quite a bit of exhaust systems for Ford. The exhaust would be louder, but since the prototype did not pass NVH standards from Ford, the Meg's Tips have a piece of pipe that acts as a resonator to keep things quieter. ***

I know we've been over the tip-baffle issue already, but it's nice to know who made the system for Ford, in the event anyone needs mufflers or pipes, and doesn't want to pay Ford's humongous prices...

cyled
02-05-2003, 07:17 PM
They are located right here in Indiana. Here is their WebSite FYI...

Arvin Meritor (http://www.arvinmeritor.com/home/default.asp)

Fourth Horseman
02-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Those tips don't stop my Flowmaster 40s from roaring and rumbling nicely. :coolman:

joflewbyu2
02-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Thank you for writing and for your interest in our product, however the

exhaust in question was built be the Original Equipment Exhaust Division of

ArvinMeritor exclusively for the manufacture. You have reached the

Aftermarket Exhaust Division of ArvinMeritor. The exhaust was built to that

manufacture's specifications and they own the rights to that system and have

any and all technical data on the system. It was a proprietary exhaust built

in a quantity of they desire and no information or replacement parts are

available through ArvinMeritor. Please contact the manufacturer for

information regarding your request. I am sorry that we are unable to assist

you further.

Richard A. Myers

Technical Associate

Maremont Exhaust & Gabriel Ride Control

richard.myers@arvinmeritor.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 10:16 PM

To: answerman@arvinmeritor.com

Subject: exhaust

I understand that ArvinMeritor makes the exhaust system for the 2003 Mercury

Marauder car. Your time is very much appreciated in any help that you can

be.

How restrictive is this dual 2.25" system? Is it the size - 2.25" or the

mufflers? I noticed that there are resonators in the 24" Megs polished

stainless tips. Are those restrictive? Cost aside, would replacing this

system with a Borla t304 stainless steel 2.25" system be beneficial assuming

borla has a higher flow muffler and not having the resonators in the rear

tips?

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Joflewbyu...what is it you want to know about the MM exhaust again?

RF Overlord
02-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Jo: Well. That's a major suck-blow...

That answer sounds almost exactly like what AutoMeter said when I (and others) asked about the fake oil pressure gauge...

Thanks for that, though...I posted the original comment hoping it would be helpful, but I guess I was wr--wr--wr--

joflewbyu2
02-06-2003, 06:57 PM
double edge sword. i like the stock megs tips but want deeper and louder exhaust. wondering if just replacing the 2 mufflers with (2) 2.25" stright pipes would be cause resonance or be way too loud leaving the resonator tips in. if i can find a buyer for my exhaust or tips, would buy the borla.

Mark McQuaide
02-06-2003, 07:35 PM
The 'Rauder has a wonderful, melodic sound to the exhaust as is. Just leave the stereo off and play a tune with your right foot :D

RF Overlord
02-06-2003, 07:41 PM
^^^what he said!!!^^^

jefferson-mo
02-06-2003, 07:44 PM
RF!!!!:beer:

SergntMac
02-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
double edge sword. i like the stock megs tips but want deeper and louder exhaust. wondering if just replacing the 2 mufflers with (2) 2.25" stright pipes would be cause resonance or be way too loud leaving the resonator tips in. if i can find a buyer for my exhaust or tips, would buy the borla.

Okay, I see now. You just want to get louder, so, Flowmaster 40s are a good (and inexpensive) change out for the factory muffler.

If ever you cut those MEGS tips off, (as close as you can to the muffler) drop me an e-mail and we'll talk money. Extra set of tips fits my program.

As for running resonators alone, wouldn't be much of a hassell to find a Midas shop somewhere, and have them cut nicely, and tack in a straight piece of pipe just for testing. You like it, keep it. You don't, drop in the flowmasters...All research requires development money.

SergntMac@aol.com

Murader03
02-06-2003, 11:41 PM
SergntMac......Drop me a Private mail on how to get in touch with you. I replaced my orignal tips with a set of pre-production ones a few months ago. Still have the orginals.

RCSignals
02-07-2003, 12:33 AM
What's the difference between the pre-production tips and the production tips?

Murader03
02-07-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by RCSignals
What's the difference between the pre-production tips and the production tips?

The pre-produstion tips did not have the baffel installed. Therefore allowed slightly more rumble and noise to be heard both outside and inside the car. I really like the sound much better and it didn't require replacing the mufflers.

SergntMac
02-07-2003, 01:57 PM
That's why I want an extra set of factory tips, do some experimenting with performance and sound options. I want to collect enough scavenged parts to box up my OEM stuff, just in case it's needed down the road.

Bob, do you have just the tips, or tips and tailpipe (back to muffler) available. E-me at SergntMac@aol.com

joflewbyu2
06-26-2003, 04:12 PM
well replaced my mufflers with 2.25" straight pipes. sounds very mean but a little too loud. going to purchase the Borla.

darebren
06-27-2003, 04:46 AM
What exactly does Borla have for the Marauder? last I saw they did not have any cat back systems...

JohnE
06-27-2003, 06:09 AM
I got a dramatic transformation in my Grand Marquis, with factory dual exhaust by installing a Reinhart Exhaust system. The system is the same for the Marauder, just different headers for the DOHC ports. My car now sounds like performance machine. Kind of like one of those pickups with flowmasters. And this mod didn't just change the sound, I got a nice performance improvemnt too. Currently I still have my stock mufflers and resononators.

The exhaust gases are hotter and take up more space close to the engine. Primary restrictions are there.

Ross
06-27-2003, 07:37 AM
OK, once again I come to the sources of automotive wisdom and experience to clarify a few things.
1. I understand that some exhaust systems are louder than others. But can someone define "resonance"? Is it just a louder sound, deeper, or what?
2. What exactly is a "cat back"? I have heard of some "free flow" or less restrictive catalytic converters, is that what a cat back refers to?
3. How does changing all of this affect emissions? In some counties in Texas (like mine) we not only have to have the annual safety inspections for the car, we also have to pass an emissions test. Will changing the catalytic converter to a more free flow type increase emissions?
4. What do all of these changes do to the interior noise level at highway speeds? I don't want the noise so loud that I have to crank up the radio all the way just to hear Rush Limbaugh. (Oh, no! Did I really say that?)

Thanks, Guys

RF Overlord
06-27-2003, 08:10 AM
1. Resonance: the intensification and enriching of a musical tone by supplementary vibration...

Basically, all things resonate at some specific frequency...in an exhaust system, resonance refers to a frequency or tone that is much louder than all others, usually occurring at some specific speed or RPM value, that causes an unpleasant amplification of the exhaust sound; sometimes also referred to as a "drone".

2. "Cat Back" refers to all the parts after the catalytic converter.

3. Changing any parts after the cat will not affect emissions.
Changing the stock cats to "high-flow" just increases the amount of exhaust gasses that can flow through the system, and generally doesn't affect emissions, either.

4. See #1 above...Any change to an exhaust system CAN change the interior noise, or introduce resonances, but, if chosen correctly, a high performance exhaust system will not NECESSARILY change the interior noise level...however, what sounds good to one person may not be acceptable to another.

TripleTransAm
06-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord

Changing the stock cats to "high-flow" just increases the amount of exhaust gasses that can flow through the system, and generally doesn't affect emissions, either.

"Generally" is the operative word. I know some folks who failed emissions tests with high-flow cats from reputable companies, and were able to pass with the stockers back on. Granted, they had mods of different natures but it still shows that some high-flow cats have to sacrifice catalyst "surface area" for greater flow.

JohnE
06-28-2003, 05:28 AM
In Texas they primarily use the OBD-II diagnoistics to test the emissions. There are 2 sets of O2 sensors on the car. The first set are used for engine control. The back set are to test to see if the first set of cats are working. The stock system does have a second set of cats after that too.

Dennis' system keeps all 4 O2 sensors, which monitor the first (and only) set of cats.

Take a look at the comparison. The high flow cats have a longer element inside.

Jeff
06-28-2003, 06:49 AM
I don't want the noise so loud that I have to crank up the radio all the way just to hear Rush Limbaugh. (Oh, no! Did I really say that?)

One should ALWAYS turn Rush up all the way in case there are liberal bystanders near! :D

Marauder57
06-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
One should ALWAYS turn Rush up all the way in case there are liberal bystanders near! :D

Mega Dittos...... :D

rumble
06-28-2003, 07:48 AM
"well replaced my mufflers with 2.25" straight pipes. sounds very mean but a little too loud. going to purchase the Borla."

joflewbyu2@aol, Can you please define "a little too loud", say as
compared to a SBC with 18" glasspacks?

joflewbyu2
06-28-2003, 08:13 AM
sounds good to start and rev up to hear the car rumble. feel immature driving around town and having the car get loud when i put a load on her - give a little gas to accelerate. if i was younger than 34, maybe 20 - i would keep the straight pipes. i do believe the borla needs modification to make it fit. the 03 GM, MM and CV cool side of the exhaust - after the 2" 409 stainless steel pipe that have the cats in them - starts approxitmately 2" further back than the 99-02 cars. i figure i would cut the pipes in the straight part just after the cross over and expand the rear side to slip over the cut portion and absorb the extra 2" and then put 2 more borla accuseal band clamps there to hold it. same type of cuts and clamps as the others that the borla has to keep the system looking as original as possible. anyone wanna buy my OEM MEGS TIPS?

rumble
06-28-2003, 08:30 AM
So even with the cats and muffled tips its still too loud
to be legal? What about "droning" at highway speeds?

Straightpipes
07-01-2003, 11:14 AM
I also have straight pipes on my car. I first installed a balance pipe and then took the mufflers off. It sounds very loud and I like that. The only problem is once you get above about 2700 RPM's the exhaust loses its deep rumble tone and just sounds like high pitch almost gun shot noise. It doesn't sound too bad but I have ordered glass packs and will be installing them within the next few days. Supposedly this will keep the exhaust loud but with a nice deep crackeling noise. Just warning you the straightpipes are very loud but they sound nice, they are so loud you can be heard about a mile away.

prchrman
07-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Straightpipes
Just warning you the straightpipes are very loud but they sound nice, they are so loud you can be heard about a mile away.

Perceive that you are not persuing "stealth mode"...JK...1 Mile jeeezzz!!! sign language is a gotta have...

Top_Fuel
07-01-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm going to jump in here because I don't hear anyone talking about the dreaded exhaust drone that some mufflers can introduce. Here's something I posted over on CVN...

Describing exhaust drone to someone who hasn't experienced it:

The noise level from many aftermarket mufflers progresses from a low rumble at idle to a gradually louder sound as the engine rpms increase. Somewhere in the RPM range, that cool-sounding exhaust noise reaches a "sweet spot" where the sound frequency begins to resonate (hum, drone, buzz, etc) inside the car. The noise is extremely annoying in a small RPM range and can be really unpleasant. It can feel like someone is applying pressure to the sides of your head, and can give you a headache in no time. The drone intensity may also increase as the car is put under a slight load (like going up a slight grade while on the freeway)...which can make it even more annoying!

In my experience, this RPM range is usually around 1800-2200 rpms, which can be a serious problem if your car normally cruises in this rpm range. I had a 5.0 Mustang with 2 chamber flowmasters, and that thing would drone horribly around 1900 rpms. It got so bad I went back to running factory mufflers! I wanted to beat those flowmasters with a frigging hammer after I took them off! They sounded cool cruising around town rowing through the gears...but get out on a freeway at a constant 70mph and I thought my head would explode.

Drone is something to consider for anyone going to aftermarket mufflers. That sweet rumble can get annoying REAL FAST if the sound is constantly pounding on your skull while you cruise. You can always drive certain speeds to avoid the problematic rpm ranges, or just crank your radio up. For me, I had no choice but to change back to stock mufflers.

-Greg

RF Overlord
07-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Greg:

Wow! That sure put MY answer to shame... :D

Thanks...I'll bet there are more than a few people who will benefit from your well-explained comments.

If I may add one thing to ^^^what you said^^^, remember folks, we've only got 281 cubic inches up there...it's never gonna sound like a big-block, and a DOHC motor will never sound like a 2V pushrod motor, either...

Constable
07-02-2003, 11:05 AM
I'll keep it short n sweet:

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
:rock: