PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for cleaning windows?

Clarkitus
02-05-2003, 11:19 AM
I absolutely suck at cleaning the inside windows (the rear window is the worst).

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or products that do a good job?

Fourth Horseman
02-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Sorry to say that I don't think there's any substitute for elbow grease. This is the part of vehicle cleaning I hate the most, I have to admit.

I've been using an amonia free glass cleaner for fear of messing up my window tint. Apart from that, though, I just climb in and start spraying and wiping. :down:

martyo
02-05-2003, 03:47 PM
You MUST go easy on amonia based prodfucts with tinted windows.

Don't let anyone smoke in your car.

And, do what I do, let your girlfriend, wife, significant other doing the cleaning part. I am in charge of driving!!!

Mark McQuaide
02-05-2003, 03:48 PM
I've been using windex and it sucks...wipe and wipe and wipe till it looks clean, than a day later when it gets in the sun it's a mess. I'd be interested in hearing what people do too.

jefferson-mo
02-05-2003, 03:58 PM
I use "commercial" Windex and it seems to be OK. I think the household Windex has more water and less cleaning agents than it use to.

I buy mine at Smart & Final:banana2:

SergntMac
02-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Don't any of you guys remember helping Mom wash windows with vinegar and newspaper?

IMHO...Glass cleaners are all basically the same chemicals, find the chepest and buy bulk, lay in a stock. Those who like to spray and wipe dry, are leaving behind a soap residue that cause the streaks, but it also is magnetic-like in attracting fresh dust. I mix a 50/50 solution with water in a paint bucket and "wash" the glass with a sponge. Rinse the sponge often and you won't spread old dirt around the window. After the "elbow grease" is over, wipe dry. Next, I mix a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar in a paint bucket and repeat. This cuts the residue soap real nice, glass should squeek, no streaks. Great on chrome and plated finishes too. Save your paper towels for drying, not washing, and you'll use 1/4th of what you do now...IMHO

Mark McQuaide
02-05-2003, 05:41 PM
As usual, a wealth of info, Sarge!

cyled
02-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Don't any of you guys remember helping Mom wash windows with vinegar and newspaper?

IMHO...Glass cleaners are all basically the same chemicals, find the chepest and buy bulk, lay in a stock. Those who like to spray and wipe dry, are leaving behind a soap residue that cause the streaks, but it also is magnetic-like in attracting fresh dust. I mix a 50/50 solution with water in a paint bucket and "wash" the glass with a sponge. Rinse the sponge often and you won't spread old dirt around the window. After the "elbow grease" is over, wipe dry. Next, I mix a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar in a paint bucket and repeat. This cuts the residue soap real nice, glass should squeek, no streaks. Great on chrome and plated finishes too. Save your paper towels for drying, not washing, and you'll use 1/4th of what you do now...IMHO

And with the left over you can add a few spices, some olive oil and voila.. Salad Dressing!!! :D

Patrick
02-06-2003, 02:53 AM
Just one Idea I use. For I am a smoker and do in the Rauder. DONT BANNISH ME FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!! Eagel one has cleaner called 20/20 cleaner. Works for me but it does require the elbow grease thing. A neccesary evil but even though I smoke I dont seem to have to clean as often. I hope this helps. And to stanleyk, if was into blackmail your post would be great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldnt resist sorry!!!!!!!!!

martyo
02-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Patrick: Too late on teh blackmail idea. She already logged onto this site to see what I was spending all of my time doing (they are nosey, aren't they???). She has been riding me ever since. Well, we'll just see if she gets to drive the car after those antics......

mtnh
02-06-2003, 08:57 AM
I use the Eagle 20/20 as well. It's got an isopropyl alcohol base, so it knows how to cut through the real crap that nests on your window glass. Also, if you use that junk called "Armor All" or any subsitute, or any leather cleaner/conditioners, be aware that these products bake out of the surface that you put them on and end up on your glass as well, giving your glass that "chain smoker" type of glass residue effect. That can really cause window cleaning to be done on a more frequent basis. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do some things to your interior, because leather really needs TLC (which I horrible about providing) but just be aware that your car care is what can lead to dirtier windows. I leave my windows cracked open in the sun, just for this reason, under the theory that the car can breathe out some of this concentrated air pollution, which has to help prolong the clean windows at leats a little bit.

I buy my Eagle1 20/20 Glass Cleaner at Autozone.

Mike

gonzo50
02-06-2003, 08:57 AM
I use Glass plus (Glass & Surface Cleaner), streak free shine everytime. Contains no ammonia, it's safe for tinted windows. Use the Scott Shop Towels on a roll, blue in color, they work well.

LincMercLover
02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
I use 20/20, but you gotta be carefull with it. If your glass if really hot, it'll streak like mad.

james_hart6
02-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Sarge is right on this one. Years ago, in a different life, I managed an automobile cleanup shop for used car dealers. Clean glass was critical - even to the point of cleaning the side windows down an inch to make sure there was no "line" 1/4" at the top where it rests in the door frame. We used vinegar, water and crumpled newspaper; the only caveat is that you've got to not over do the vinegar or your MM will have a non-factory authorized odor <g> and the newsprint will come off of the paper onto your hands or upholstery, so don't leave the old paper in the car as you crumple up a new sheet.

Some commercial products work well too, but I've never had a problem using vinegar/water (assuming the temperature is above 32 degrees f.!)

Your mileage may vary <g>.

Jim

mdmarauder
02-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Invisible Glass by Stoner Products works very well. When I can't find it I use the 20/20.

Fourth Horseman
02-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Speaking of caring for leather... I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes, but was curious what everybody else uses and how often.

TAF
02-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Leather cleaner and protectant...

Marauderman
02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Wow-- WA gonna right up a "second" tto Sarge, but by the time you come in late on a thread and read all the replys, someone has just written what I was going to state..

So .. james_hart6 has said what I would have said...I too remeember Monm's vinager and water stuff, and since the newspaper angle.....it never streaks... and TODD

The leather answer----short and thats it, eh! Any comparisons for those in need?

vaderv
02-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Use rubbin alcohol!! If not that .for tint reasons use plain water. Everything else leaves a film period.

AndyB
03-30-2004, 04:14 PM

What is the 1st 50/50 solution that you use? I understand teh 2nd 50/50 miv is vinegar/water for final rinse.

woaface
03-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Windex is what I use, but I don't have tints yet.

UAW 588
03-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Invisible Glass by Stoner Products works very well.

I started using Invisible Glass and now scream at the thought of Windex. Get this stuff, it's the best glass cleaner I have ever used. You won't be sorry. :banana:

Marauderman
03-30-2004, 04:51 PM
OK--After my last reply -- I got real help--from Ms. M of course--After fussing over the glass not being clean after doing what all have said here--I asked her and she said--" Why don't you check with the glass professionals--you know--those guys who make a living selling glass and mirrows -clean to everyone--they surely must know".....Well I called the glass shop we have done business with and low and behold--they said of course we have that stuff --drop by -- we sell it in a spray can form..so I did..

It's call " CRL Sprayway" Glass Cleaner......and it is for the first time --perfect and clean and leaves no mess and streaks and is wonderfull---so..

Like most things in life --it's right in front of our noses---just ask those who deal in it each day for a living--they gotta know---try it--you'll like it..........

Tom

hitchhiker
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Invisible Glass by Stoner Products works very well. When I can't find it I use the 20/20.Do you smoke it? :rock:

SergntMac
03-30-2004, 05:20 PM
What is the 1st 50/50 solution that you use? I understand teh 2nd 50/50 miv is vinegar/water for final rinse.

My post was more than a year ago, but my solution hasn't changed. Both 50/50 solutions are half water, half vinegar, in a spray bottle. This works on all glass and chrome items on the MM, as well as our aluminum wheels. You will need to apply a tad more elbow grease here, but the shine is worth it, as is your true "streak free" finish that won't attract more dust, dirt and grime to that surface.

BTW, when I wash my MM, I rinse the soap off with cold water from the garden hose. Then I wash it all one more time, with a 25 percent vinegar/75 percent water solution, before drying. The residue of soap and other car cleaners only attract more dirt. A clean rinse with a vinegar solution removes that residue. The surface should be smooth and slick to your hand.

Before y'all flame me about vinegar being an acid that's going to eat my clear coat, it hasn't yet. And, it tastes pretty good on my salad, with a touch of oil.

merc406
03-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Sarge is right on this one. Years ago, in a different life, I managed an automobile cleanup shop for used car dealers. Clean glass was critical - even to the point of cleaning the side windows down an inch to make sure there was no "line" 1/4" at the top where it rests in the door frame. We used vinegar, water and crumpled newspaper; the only caveat is that you've got to not over do the vinegar or your MM will have a non-factory authorized odor <g> and the newsprint will come off of the paper onto your hands or upholstery, so don't leave the old paper in the car as you crumple up a new sheet.

Some commercial products work well too, but I've never had a problem using vinegar/water (assuming the temperature is above 32 degrees f.!)

Your mileage may vary <g>.

Jim

Jim, you own that bodyshop on Gratiot?

woaface
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
The cap on the Invisible Glass has a sticker that says "Stoner Approved" or something like that.

It smells like...well...it has a certian fume to it:D

PAPAJOHN
03-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Invisible Glass by Stoner Products works very well. When I can't find it I use the 20/20.
I use a product called Vinyl Window Cleaner, made by Zep. Contains a silicone protectant, and says "cleans all plastic and vinyl windows, including most after market tinted windows. Silicone protectant reduces scratching of surface by grit and dirt"
Does a good job on the tint, but streaks on regular glass. I got it at Home Depor or lowes, in the house window tint area.

jgc61sr2002
03-30-2004, 07:41 PM
IMO if your windows are tinted be careful what products you use. Some can damage the tint.

JGaignat
03-30-2004, 11:56 PM
After I wash and dry the MM, I clean the chamois and wipe the windows off inside and out with that. I like to do it in bright sunshine, so it helps dry it. I buy a roll of the cheapest towels I can find to use on my glass. The high dollar bounty towels seem to have some sort of chemical in them to make them soft, but it seems to leave an oily like residue on the glass. I like to use alcohol/water mixture on the glass, (then a little scotch/water mixture for me when I finish :up: ). I used to work for a coffee/vending company and would use coffee filters to clean the glass. Lint and streak free.

Blue03
03-31-2004, 12:42 AM
The Dealer installed the tint on my glass months before I bought my MM. I was not aware that NH3 window cleaners were harmfull to the tint films. Is it bad for all films our just certain brands? Is the vinegar/water mix neutral or can it harm the tint as well? This is the first time I've had non factory tint on my glass. Thanks for any additional education anyone can pass on to this tint virgin...

DONP1217
03-31-2004, 07:18 AM
Stoner Invisible Glass and a high quality microfiber towel is the best and easiest way to clean glass.

NOMARQUIS
03-31-2004, 03:22 PM
As stupid as this sounds, I always clean my windows with a bath towel moist with plain ol' water. Then I go over the window with a clean, dry towel. I nver have streaks, but if I use chemicals I get streaks and a "filmy" residue. I found the towel technique to work the best. I found this one day by accident when working at a shop cleaning cars when I was in high school.

Eric

Black 04
03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
If I use just plain water on my tint...what is the best way to dry them with out doing any damage to the tint?