PDA

View Full Version : Valet security light kit

shakes_26
12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Does anybody in the SSM group have these installed or not yet installed? I'd like to get my eyes and measuring tape on the thing.

If you'll be at the picnic great, if not maybe we can meet before/after.

My goal here is to fabricate a kit, of OEM quality (or better), for the MM crowd (crown vic's as well!). My goal will be $150 per kit, about what Ford sold it for, but with the lower volumes don't know if that will be realistic.

Why? Cause we can't buy it from Ford anymore, and seems everyone (me included) wants it! I'm not in the business of car parts and kits, but figure my experience in product development, love of this car, and desire to help the MM owners out, should be put to good use!

Next I'll need to figure out how many people are really interested!

TechHeavy
12-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Does anybody in the SSM group have these installed or not yet installed? I'd like to get my eyes and measuring tape on the thing.

If you'll be at the picnic great, if not maybe we can meet before/after.

My goal here is to fabricate a kit, of OEM quality (or better), for the MM crowd (crown vic's as well!). My goal will be $150 per kit, about what Ford sold it for, but with the lower volumes don't know if that will be realistic.

Why? Cause we can't buy it from Ford anymore, and seems everyone (me included) wants it! I'm not in the business of car parts and kits, but figure my experience in product development, love of this car, and desire to help the MM owners out, should be put to good use!

Next I'll need to figure out how many people are really interested!Sounds interesting... Go here to download the Manual for the kit from BruteForce, (last page): http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=206020&highlight=Underbody#post206020

CRUZTAKER
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Check Donny Carlson's gallery for some pics.

All I can offer is the following picture, but if you need individual parts pics, the kit is still in the box, and I would gladly take pics of each part for you at you request.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/503/627MM_004_Large_.jpg

shakes_26
12-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys, already got those, the pdf manual from Bruteforce is what lit the fire under my arse....

I have some bits and pieces on the way. What I need is to go forensic on someones existing kit, to see what/how they connected the relays and such. Also having the bracket in ahnd and measuring is easier than trial and error, but its pretty simply, actually looks like a modified version of an existing bracket I found.

Now, if only I can get supplier pricing! Ha!

thanks

hitchhiker
12-30-2004, 01:27 PM
This looks like it would be easy to fab up using a trailer lighting kit and substituting clear lenses.

Thanks BF for the PDF reference material.

Regards,

David

slamnmm
12-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey guys I'm working on 2 sets of security lights one of them is for myself.
let me know who wants the other one. They are factory kits.

TechHeavy
12-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey guys I'm working on 2 sets of security lights one of them is for myself.
let me know who wants the other one. They are factory kits.
You've been PM'ed!

jgc61sr2002
12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Shakes -- Sounds good. Keep us posted. Thanks :D

FordNut
12-30-2004, 06:13 PM
I just saw most of the parts today on the shelf at CarQuest Auto Parts. The lights, the electrical plugs for them, the rubber mounting grommets. They also had the relay sockets. The relays are readily available at many auto parts places. You'll have to look at an existing setup to duplicate the wiring diagram. The mounting brackets will be the hardest part to come up with.

shakes_26
12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Fordnut,

Yeah I know many of the parts are available at the local parts counter. But there are a few differences....

1. Cost, trying to drive that down, quantity will help, but retail parts buying wont. I should have some numbers ($$) for lights after the new year. Those will be the sealed bulb/lens assembly, and if the $$ is right the chip and shatter resistant lens versions for the smae price as the low end stuff goes for retail. You guys up there in the great north with the salt and snow and sand will appreciate that.
2. Brackets, the key to the mix! In one and two's I can make those gratis. In low volumes (50-100) with epoxy paint or powder coat, I hope under $40 for the pair. If we went into the thousands then cut it in half or more.

If the route I'm going down gets too involved I might just get brackets made up and create a DIY file/instructions.

I appreciate the feedback, the Local parts shops here have plenty o' rice but are a little light on anything of substance.

My goal? Security/valet lights for the masses!

Anyone have the wire diagrams for the 03 MM? pleaase please please :help:

I just saw most of the parts today on the shelf at CarQuest Auto Parts. The lights, the electrical plugs for them, the rubber mounting grommets. They also had the relay sockets. The relays are readily available at many auto parts places. You'll have to look at an existing setup to duplicate the wiring diagram. The mounting brackets will be the hardest part to come up with.

FordNut
12-31-2004, 04:15 AM
Yeah I know many of the parts are available at the local parts counter.
After looking at AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, and NAPA with no luck, I happened on them at CarQuest. Just trying to help.

shakes_26
01-16-2005, 09:14 PM
actually Napa has the lights and the brackets...

they need to be special ordered and the brackets need to have one bend modified. but its the same thing Ford shipped.

Now for the wire harness...

After looking at AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, and NAPA with no luck, I happened on them at CarQuest. Just trying to help.