PDA

View Full Version : If the answer seems obvious...

Mad4Macs
12-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Just remember that it's an honest question...
On the way home, I got the "Check engine soon" light.
So, before I haul my car in for service (again), should I have the chip pulled? I'm out of the 36,000 warranty, but well within the ESP. Also... since I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, nor do I intend to be, should I have someone "qualified" pull the chip? I'd prefer to drive the car in for service, and if I were to yank it, I'd probably break something and end up paying for a tow :rolleyes:
Thanks...

Bradley G
12-30-2004, 07:30 PM
I would offer my superchips tuner for the diagnostics,but you are surrounded by members that can get to you much faster.I have never seen the board where the chip is but I have experience with removeing them.I used to gently pry up with a small slotted screwdriver (Pen style) taking turns on each side.If you have steady hands and take your time and be real gentle you can do it! Good luck and tell us how it turns out!

Bradley G

Krytin
12-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Radio Shack makes an inexpensive tool made for pulling chips w/out damage. It may be worth it if you don't have much experience.

CRUZTAKER
12-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Just reach under and tug it out. If you saw the way these things were handled before it got to you it would make you shiver. :shake:

Just tug it out (avoid touching the gold card edge pin connectors) and don't store it in a static material. Lay it on a ceramic dish or something.

If it really bugs you, stop at radio shack and get a wrist ground strap, but trust me, like I said, that'll be the best that chip was ever treated.

MENINBLK
12-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Just reach under and tug it out. If you saw the way these things were handled before it got to you it would make you shiver. :shake:

Just tug it out (avoid touching the gold card edge pin connectors) and don't store it in a static material. Lay it on a ceramic dish or something.

If it really bugs you, stop at radio shack and get a wrist ground strap, but trust me, like I said, that'll be the best that chip was ever treated.

What Cruztaker says is true, but I would offer these cautions as well...

First, disconnect your battery before you yank anything out...
After you yank the chip, wait at least 20 minutes before reconnecting the battery.
This allows the computer to lose all residual power, go completely dead, and allow you to start up an a fresh boot up of the PC.

Second, drive the car for a few days with the chip out and see if the CEL (Check Engine Light) comes back.
If it does, you can have someone scan the computer for the trouble code.

If it doesn't, you can disconnect the battery and reinstall your chip,
making sure it is fully inserted before reconnecting the battery.
If the CEL comes back, its the chip.

And for storing the chip for an extended period of time, wrap it in aluminum foil.
It will keep the chip from being exposed to any type of static, and provide you with a heavy guard against damage to the chip.

Lidio
12-31-2004, 06:19 AM
Just remember that it's an honest question...
On the way home, I got the "Check engine soon" light.
So, before I haul my car in for service (again), should I have the chip pulled? I'm out of the 36,000 warranty, but well within the ESP. Also... since I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, nor do I intend to be, should I have someone "qualified" pull the chip? I'd prefer to drive the car in for service, and if I were to yank it, I'd probably break something and end up paying for a tow :rolleyes:
Thanks...

If the car is still running OK with the light on and you have some time to work with.... I'd rather you leave the chip in and if its not to much trouble, come by my shop and let me see whats making the light come on. Depending on what it is, we might be able to fix it... if its as simple as a sensor or some thing that came loose or unpluged. Or advise what to do and pull the chip for you if we feel that it needs to go back to the dealer.

Thanks

Mad4Macs
12-31-2004, 06:40 AM
If the car is still running OK with the light on and you have some time to work with.... I'd rather you leave the chip in and if its not to much trouble, come by my shop and let me see whats making the light come on. Depending on what it is, we might be able to fix it... if its as simple as a sensor or some thing that came loose or unpluged. Or advise what to do and pull the chip for you if we feel that it needs to go back to the dealer.

Thanks

No, THANK YOU. The car seems ok at the moment, so as soon as things slow down, I'll bring her in. And... thanks :)