PDA

View Full Version : Addco 1" rear swaybar comparison

BK_GrandMarquis
01-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the stock and Addco rear swaybars overlayed or sitting next to each other? I have an issue with my Quickor swaybar and was wondering how the Addco are bent.

TAF
01-03-2005, 05:49 AM
From the Gallery right before my install....

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83front_sway_bar_1.jpg

SergntMac
01-03-2005, 06:55 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the stock and Addco rear swaybars overlayed or sitting next to each other? I have an issue with my Quickor swaybar and was wondering how the Addco are bent.That's what I though you asked....

BK_GrandMarquis
01-03-2005, 08:24 AM
That's what I though you asked....
Yup, those look like the fronts Todd. Thanks anyway.

Svashtar
01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the stock and Addco rear swaybars overlayed or sitting next to each other? I have an issue with my Quickor swaybar and was wondering how the Addco are bent.What is the issue? I have had my Quickor rear for a couple of months now and haven't installed it yet. It's marked "Crown Vic". I paid for and ordered a Quickor front sway bar 3 months ago, and they just now informed me (after telling me it has been in the powder coat shop for the last two months) that they don't have a pattern yet for our front sway bars and need more time to make it.

I know the Quickors are stronger, and bigger diameter (1" rears and supposed to be 1 5/8" fronts), but it is my impression that they don't have their delivery system worked out as yet and still think of the MM's as Crown Vics.

I was actually going to install mine tomorrow morning, but will wait to hear from you first.

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Norm

metroplex
01-03-2005, 04:51 PM
My Addco front bar is 1.75" and my Addco rear bar is 1" (2000 Crown Vic).

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Better question...why didn't you buy ADDCO in the first place? Seeing as how they were custom made for us, tried, tested, and well used by the membership.

BK_GrandMarquis
01-03-2005, 06:42 PM
What is the issue? I have had my Quickor rear for a couple of months now and haven't installed it yet. It's marked "Crown Vic". I paid for and ordered a Quickor front sway bar 3 months ago, and they just now informed me (after telling me it has been in the powder coat shop for the last two months) that they don't have a pattern yet for our front sway bars and need more time to make it.

I know the Quickors are stronger, and bigger diameter (1" rears and supposed to be 1 5/8" fronts), but it is my impression that they don't have their delivery system worked out as yet and still think of the MM's as Crown Vics.

I was actually going to install mine tomorrow morning, but will wait to hear from you first.

Thanks for any information.

Regards,

Norm

The rear sway bar rubs against my exhaust and the fuel tank. The Quickor bars are a lot wider and stick out further in the center than the OEMs. The width makes them hit the exhaust and the depth makes it hit the tank. I'd be interested if the rear fits your car. They told me that it was designed around a Police Interceptor. That still should not have given me the problems I am having. In my opinion, the bends are all wrong.

The fronts worked fine for me.

Better question...why didn't you buy ADDCO in the first place? Seeing as how they were custom made for us, tried, tested, and well used by the membership.

Had I known that it was going to be this much trouble, I would have gotten the Addcos. I thought the design had been around for awhile and that it was a safe bet. I was just willing to give something different a try. I haven't had any major problems with the other Marauder designed parts on my car, I thought this would go just as smoothly. Apparently I was wrong.

Svashtar
01-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Because as a new MM.net member just starting out, I have to take the advice that is given to me, and during that stage of advice gathering no one ever said anything to me about the Addco bars being "custom made for us, and tried, tested and well used by the membership."

What I WAS told by one of the vendors on the site who I had learned to trust and consider a reliable source of information for our cars, was that although the ADDCO was good, the Quickor was better, being made from cold rolled steel, black powder coated, and stronger altogether.

So far in looking over the quality of the rear sway bar I have no reason to disagree with this assessment. We shall see.

Regards,

Norm

Svashtar
01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
The rear sway bar rubs against my exhaust and the fuel tank. The Quickor bars are a lot wider and stick out further in the center than the OEMs. The width makes them hit the exhaust and the depth makes it hit the tank. I'd be interested if the rear fits your car. They told me that it was designed around a Police Interceptor. That still should not have given me the problems I am having. In my opinion, the bends are all wrong.

The fronts worked fine for me.
They told me they didn't HAVE a front designed for the MM as yet!? That was two weeks ago. So I don't know what they sold you. I'll try the rear install and let you know I find. The only way I know that it could hit the exhaust is if it were installed upside down. (?)

Thanks,

Norm

Svashtar
01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
BK, just a follow up thought: you know the bars have to be installed with the suspension under load, correct? You can't put it up on a standard lift or just jack up the rear and have it install easily or correctly. I just plan on leaving the airbag ON and driving the back up on some ramps to do the install.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case...!

regards,

Norm

BK_GrandMarquis
01-03-2005, 07:26 PM
BK, just a follow up thought: you know the bars have to be installed with the suspension under load, correct? You can't put it up on a standard lift or just jack up the rear and have it install easily or correctly. I just plan on leaving the airbag ON and driving the back up on some ramps to do the install.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case...!

regards,

Norm

Yup, I didn't know initially but I removed and reinstalled the bars under load. I also flipped the bars just incase I did have it upside down. It just wasn't working for me.

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry Norm...I failed to notice you are modding a Marquis. I just assumed....oh never mind...:hide:

Svashtar
01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry Norm...I failed to notice you are modding a Marquis. I just assumed....oh never mind...:hide: No, again that was my error. BK has a Marquis (I just figured it out, hence his name, duh!), but I have an '03 MM. The bottom line is I had the Addco's on my mod list but someone I trust recommended the Quickors. The biggest problem with Quickor is that they have all the cars based on the panther platform in the same boat: to them a MM is a GM is a CV is a CVPI. This is what they just learned with my MM and why my front was delayed and not sent to be powder coated after they made it; they found out it did not fit the MM.

I'll see if my rear fits tomorrow and post back online with a pic of both the stock MM and Quickor rears whether they do fit or not, and let you know. This also explains why BK has his front Quickor for his GM that fits fine, but they haven't even got the MM front design completed as yet.

Thanks,

Norm

Svashtar
01-04-2005, 08:52 PM
BK, this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I wanted to give feedback on the Quickors for once and for all. First, attached is a pic of the std. MM rear bar and the Quickor rear bar. Almost identical except the new one is larger of course.

My biggest concern was in which way to mount it, but it doesn't seem possible to install it upside down.

FYI, the way the Quickor works (and I would be very interested in how Addco does this, as I'll bet it's simpler; live and learn!), is by using the stock bushing bracket but replacing the std. bushings with poly ones. BUT their poly bushings are slightly smaller, so they supply a 1.25" X 1.25" X 1/8" metal shim, that is meant to be installed between the bushing and the axle. So far so good.

I got the whole thing replaced in 45 minutes, but the shim above the bushing was still easily slid out with just finger pressure. I tightened the brackets all the way and it still slid out easily. I then started tightening the end links, more and more, and the shim STILL moved. I only got the shim to stop moving my cranking the end links so tight that they was no play left in them at all, which I know is not right. The washers and center spacer couldn't even be moved with pliers, and yet the shim could still be slid out from under the bushing!

I called Quickor and was told that this was probably OK, unless I severely overtightened the end links. The bottom line is that I did not think the shim should move at all and it did. The documentation said it should fit tightly. So I was stuck after two hours with paying to ship the whole thing back or try and fix it.

So, start over. I took the shims out. They had included powder coated brackets in the kit which I didn't need, so I heated one of them up with a torch and pounded it flat, and cut off enough for two additional thinner shims. Then I scored the inside of each piece with a grinder for roughness, and used JB WELD to hold the old & new shims together. I increased the shim thickness in this way by 50%, then reassembled the whole thing.

Now just tightening the brackets pulls the bushing into the bracket tightly, and the end links only have to be moderately tightened (until the washers are difficult to turn is the instruction) to snug everything up.

MY ONLY concern, which is probably nothing, is that with the stud & girdle kit on the car there is now only 1/2" clearance between the new fatter rear bar and the back of the differential. IS THIS OK? I don't know of any way the differential can go down and back into the sway bar, and the bar is of course tied to the axle. Just is closer because of the larger size.

FINALLY, Quickor told me they cannot make a front bar for our MM's, and after 3 months is refunding the $ they charged my Credit card back in September.

IF I had it to do over again, I would go with the Addco's obviously. As it is, the rear looks good now and I hope my shim adjustment which tightens the bushings hard down into the bracket works OK, and the 1/2" differential clearance won't be a problem.

For the front, I'm obviously calling Addco. Would have saved alot of time if I had just done so from the get go I guess. (Just like Cruztaker said...!)

Thanks,

Norm

BK_GrandMarquis
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
BK, this isn't exactly what you asked for, but I wanted to give feedback on the Quickors for once and for all. First, attached is a pic of the std. MM rear bar and the Quickor rear bar. Almost identical except the new one is larger of course.

My biggest concern was in which way to mount it, but it doesn't seem possible to install it upside down.

FYI, the way the Quickor works (and I would be very interested in how Addco does this, as I'll bet it's simpler; live and learn!), is by using the stock bushing bracket but replacing the std. bushings with poly ones. BUT their poly bushings are slightly smaller, so they supply a 1.25" X 1.25" X 1/8" metal shim, that is meant to be installed between the bushing and the axle. So far so good.

I got the whole thing replaced in 45 minutes, but the shim above the bushing was still easily slid out with just finger pressure. I tightened the brackets all the way and it still slid out easily. I then started tightening the end links, more and more, and the shim STILL moved. I only got the shim to stop moving my cranking the end links so tight that they was no play left in them at all, which I know is not right. The washers and center spacer couldn't even be moved with pliers, and yet the shim could still be slid out from under the bushing!

I called Quickor and was told that this was probably OK, unless I severely overtightened the end links. The bottom line is that I did not think the shim should move at all and it did. The documentation said it should fit tightly. So I was stuck after two hours with paying to ship the whole thing back or try and fix it.

So, start over. I took the shims out. They had included powder coated brackets in the kit which I didn't need, so I heated one of them up with a torch and pounded it flat, and cut off enough for two additional thinner shims. Then I scored the inside of each piece with a grinder for roughness, and used JB WELD to hold the old & new shims together. I increased the shim thickness in this way by 50%, then reassembled the whole thing.

Now just tightening the brackets pulls the bushing into the bracket tightly, and the end links only have to be moderately tightened (until the washers are difficult to turn is the instruction) to snug everything up.

MY ONLY concern, which is probably nothing, is that with the stud & girdle kit on the car there is now only 1/2" clearance between the new fatter rear bar and the back of the differential. IS THIS OK? I don't know of any way the differential can go down and back into the sway bar, and the bar is of course tied to the axle. Just is closer because of the larger size.

FINALLY, Quickor told me they cannot make a front bar for our MM's, and after 3 months is refunding the $ they charged my Credit card back in September.

IF I had it to do over again, I would go with the Addco's obviously. As it is, the rear looks good now and I hope my shim adjustment which tightens the bushings hard down into the bracket works OK, and the 1/2" differential clearance won't be a problem.

For the front, I'm obviously calling Addco. Would have saved alot of time if I had just done so from the get go I guess. (Just like Cruztaker said...!)

Thanks,

NormCan you take a picture of the swaybars on the car? Mine fits the opposite. It sticks too far away from the diff. cover so it hits the fuel tank. You have no issues with the width of the bars around the diff. cover?

Svashtar
01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Can you take a picture of the swaybars on the car? Mine fits the opposite. It sticks too far away from the diff. cover so it hits the fuel tank. You have no issues with the width of the bars around the diff. cover?
Sure I'll try to get a pic of the rear installed, but it won't be until tonight or tomorrow. Mine just clears the stud & girdle cover by about 1/2" at the closest right in the middle, and clears it by about 1" to 2" on each side. It is almost a drop-in match for the original, it's just that because it is fatter and I have added the girdle that it gets so close to the back of the differential. With the standard diff cover it would be perfect.

I AM SURE that other folks have installed a rear bar that also have a stud & girdle kit. I am curious as to how close a rear Addco bar would get to a diff with the stud & girdle kit. I have been trying to think of any situation where the bar could move forward into the differential cover, but as long as it's locked in place I don't see how that movement could occur.

I can tell you that yours is definitely too deep; mine would have to go back another 6 or 8 inches to hit the gas tank I think.

Regards,

Norm

BK_GrandMarquis
01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Sure I'll try to get a pic of the rear installed, but it won't be until tonight or tomorrow. Mine just clears the stud & girdle cover by about 1/2" at the closest right in the middle, and clears it by about 1" to 2" on each side. It is almost a drop-in match for the original, it's just that because it is fatter and I have added the girdle that it gets so close to the back of the differential. With the standard diff cover it would be perfect.

I AM SURE that other folks have installed a rear bar that also have a stud & girdle kit. I am curious as to how close a rear Addco bar would get to a diff with the stud & girdle kit. I have been trying to think of any situation where the bar could move forward into the differential cover, but as long as it's locked in place I don't see how that movement could occur.

I can tell you that yours is definitely too deep; mine would have to go back another 6 or 8 inches to hit the gas tank I think.

Regards,

Norm

This is what my Quickor rear bars look in comparison to the OEM. Now you see how deep and wide it sticks past the OEM and can hit my fuel tank and exhaust.

BK_GrandMarquis
02-13-2005, 10:11 PM
This is what my Quickor rear bars look in comparison to the OEM. Now you see how deep and wide it sticks past the OEM and can hit my fuel tank and exhaust.

I just got the new bar last week. Installed it today. It's as close to OEM as it can get. I'm much happier now. :banana2: I guess patience pays off this time. Not that I'd want to do it again. ;)

BillyGman
02-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Better question...why didn't you buy ADDCO in the first place? Seeing as how they were custom made for us, tried, tested, and well used by the membership."Custom made" you say? Not according to what the manufacture says. Give them a call, and you'll find out that those sways bars are universal for all panthers from 02 and up. Nothing wrong with them I'm sure, since I've heard great things about them. but "custom made" for Marauders they're NOT.

Yamaha
02-18-2005, 10:00 AM
From the Gallery right before my install....

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83front_sway_bar_1.jpg Hi Todd, do you know of shock upgrades for the MM ? 732-422-5703 Sbodnar@corus.jnj.com Thanks, Stan

Yamaha
02-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the stock and Addco rear swaybars overlayed or sitting next to each other? I have an issue with my Quickor swaybar and was wondering how the Addco are bent.Hey BK I'm in central jersey to. Just bought the Quikor rear bar. Did you sort your issue out ? Stan 732-422-5703 Sbodnar@corus.jnj.com

BK_GrandMarquis
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Todd, do you know of shock upgrades for the MM ? 732-422-5703 Sbodnar@corus.jnj.com Thanks, Stan
www.naake.com (http://www.naake.com)

They have the QA1 adjustable coil over shock for the fronts and QA1 adjustable shocks for the rear. I think the full set is about $900.