PDA

View Full Version : Burning out

Reaper948
02-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Logan I DL'd your video of the Lightning smoking its tires....awesome btw

But I have a question for everyone.....I really never understand how tires can burn out like that......I mean, what? do you need tons and tons of torque and then what do you do? u just floor it? Do u have any kind of technique?...... Im not planning to do that but I just wanna know I see it all the time and it makes no sense to me.................

thanks guys :burnout:

RF Overlord
02-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Reaper: you're kidding, tight? You've never done a burnout?

Put simply, it's a matter of having enough power (torque) to overcome the friction (traction) between the tire's contact patch and the surface of the road. If you can build more power than the tire/road interface can handle, the tire starts to slip. If you can build it FAST, the tire will spin up to a relatively high speed (see mensrea's burnout video, also). Having a vehicle with a great deal of mass (like a marauder as opposed to a Geo Metro) helps because once the tire loses its grip, you have all that forward inertia to overcome, and since the spinning tire has very little traction, it just goes up in smoke, instead of propelling the car forward.

As far as technique, that depends to a great deal on whether the car has manual or automatic transmission, the size of the tires, the rubber compound, temperature, and a host of other factors. In other words, each car is different. You have to experiment...preferably on someone else's... ;)

LincMercLover
02-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Burnout? What's that? :D

Burnouts like that are done by applying a slight amount of brake while giving the car gas. Get the tires spinning and slowing let off the brake and away you go in a cloud of smoke.

That is, unless you're Mensrea, then all you have to do is slam the gas and hold you @$$!

Reaper948
02-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Its not like Ive never spun the tires, Its just that Ive never gotten smoke....... Hey ive still got years ahead of me....

LincMercLover
02-07-2003, 12:09 PM
Add bleach, you'll get more smoke than you want! Oh yah... BTW, keep your windows up if you do use bleach...

RF Overlord
02-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Oh yah... BTW, keep your windows up if you do use bleach...

I most strongly second THAT!!!! :bigcry:

jefferson-mo
02-07-2003, 01:29 PM
I borrowed a LS from work and in a slight drizzle(that's what we call rain out here:rolleyes: ) and did a little 'power brake':burnout: in the burger joint on black asphalt and with the original Firestones on it and they started to smoke a lot instantly! :rock:

What fun!:burnout:

jefferson-mo
02-07-2003, 01:31 PM
:rolleyes:

LincMercLover
02-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Gotta keep those : and ) away from each other when you don't want a :)

;)

jefferson-mo
02-07-2003, 03:18 PM
:rolleyes:

:stupid::lol:

SergntMac
02-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Jefferson-mo...so much said in so few words...

jefferson-mo
02-07-2003, 03:56 PM
:rasta: