PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy blower question

Phil @ FLP
01-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Its a roots style blower im assuming a M112 the same that comes stock on the 03-04 Cobra other than the intake plenum facing the other direction. My question is does the Trilogy kit have a stock blower or ported blower?

MikesMerc
01-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Stock.

However, it is Magnuson prepped (balanced, coated rotors, etc).

FiveO
01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
There are also alot of general plumbing changes.

You can't just take a 03 Cobra M112 and slap it on a Marauder without ALOT of fabricating.

Email Jerry Barnes at Trilogy and he'll email you the install manual.....might give you some good insight.

Logan
01-05-2005, 07:51 PM
No, the trilogy blower is NOT the same as the M112 on the Cobra, completely different unit. The Trilogy kit uses a Generic eaton with custom snout and rear inlet.

The only thing it shares with the Cobra is the lower intake and the intercooler assy. Otherwise, it's all different.

FiveO
01-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Interesting Logan...didn't know that.

Thanks for the info!

MikesMerc
01-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Logan is correct, but read his post carefully. Only the snout and inlet are different. The actual compressor itself (the M112 unit) is indeed the same on both the Cobra and the Trilogy kit, and they produce the same amount of CFM on the test stand. Of course the difference in inlet plumbing can cause differences in actual applications. But, make no mistake, both set up use the M112 compressor. The use of different snouts and inlets do not change the actual compressor itself.

The thing that is nice about the eatons in the trilogy kit is that magnuson (which retails ALL non OEM eaton blowers) works the blower a bit with teflon and makes sure the rotors a balanced for longer life.

Again, as Logan and others have indicated, a simple Cobra swap to Marauder its not. With the snout and plumbing being very different. So if that's the intent of the question...beware. However, if the question is whether the blower is the "same", the actual compressor is identical short of the magnuson prep.

Jerry Barnes
01-06-2005, 07:54 AM
O.K. Guys,

Everyone is a little right on this one. Yes, the Eaton supercharger is a M112. The internals are the same, but the casing is different. We modify the casing to fit the Marauder specific application. If you look at the Cobra and the Lightning, the supercharger casings look different, but the internals are the same. We also us the Cobra intake manifold, but we make some significant modifications to make it fit the Marauder. We create an adaptor plate that is unique. We use the stock intercooler core.

The long and the short of it all is that you will not be able to take a Lightning or Cobra supercharger set up and have it work on a Marauder. There are too many engineering changes to list here. And we have created a new or extensively modified almost all of the existing parts to make it work properly or for reliabilty purposes.

I am sure that anyone can create their own supercharger package for any car, but you better be good friends with a machine shop, a casting shop, a fabrication shop, etc. Especially if you want to use it as a daily driver.

I hope that answers everyones questions.

Sincerely,

Jerry n

Phil @ FLP
01-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok I guess I worded my question wrong. What I wanted to know is it a unported or ported compressor? My reason for asking this is on the Cobras and Lightnings we have the blowers ported and usually see a sizable power gain, just wanted to see if this is something that can be done with the Trilogy kit.

BillyGman
01-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I don't believe that they're ported. I remember Lidio having his ported, and saying that the porting work didn't really make all that much difference in the dyno readings. So in light of that, I think you would be better off just getting a smaller pulley installed for higher boost pressures.

Jerry Barnes
01-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Ok I guess I worded my question wrong. What I wanted to know is it a unported or ported compressor? My reason for asking this is on the Cobras and Lightnings we have the blowers ported and usually see a sizable power gain, just wanted to see if this is something that can be done with the Trilogy kit.

Phil,

They are not ported or polished, but the interior surfaces are excellent. Lidio had his ported/polished and the response he got back from Apten Performance was that it did not need to be ported or polished. Lidio did Dyno runs before and after and indicated that there was not much difference in the results. So, I hope that helps. If you want to call Lidio directly his number, is (586) 463-0010.

I hope that helps.

Jerry

BillyGman
01-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Since you were asking about porting, I suspect that you're looking to get a Marauder well into the 11 second bracket, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't even need to have posed the question since many of us have established consistent low 12 second ET's with our Trilogized Marauders (myself included). I'm very happy with getting that out of a very heavy 4200 LB car (especially on a mere 9.5 PSI of boost), but I fully understand how many people often want more and cannot get enough. :D

Phil @ FLP
01-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Im looking at replacing my current street car with something alittle bit more driveable. Currently I have a 98 Z28 with forged 348 ci motor runs consistent 10.80s on motor and 9.60s on the bottle. Unfortunatly its just not fun to drive on the street anymore. Too big of a stall, pretty damn loud crusing down the highway, and handles like a dump truck with a manual steering rack, spool, and drag shocks. I just want something more streetable. Probably my goal would be high 11s.

FiveO
01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Im looking at replacing my current street car with something alittle bit more driveable. Currently I have a 98 Z28 with forged 348 ci motor runs consistent 10.80s on motor and 9.60s on the bottle. Unfortunatly its just not fun to drive on the street anymore. Too big of a stall, pretty damn loud crusing down the highway, and handles like a dump truck with a manual steering rack, spool, and drag shocks. I just want something more streetable. Probably my goal would be high 11s.

Then a Trilogy Marauder with a 2.8" pulley, exhaust mods, 93 octane and widened rims would be the way to go.

I'm running OEM tires and a 3.2" pulley and can do 12.5's all day.

BillyGman
01-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Just remember that the Marauder is atleast 600 LBS heavier than a factory stock Camaro, and 600LBS will effect your ET's considerably. That's why running low 12's is doing a lot for a 4200 LB car. And that's dry weight for a Marauder. At Englishtown, NJ after my first run of the day, I drove onto the scale, and my Marauder registered 4,444 LBS with a half tank of gas, and me sitting inside (I weight 205 LBS).

Phil @ FLP
01-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Just remember that the Marauder is atleast 600 LBS heavier than a factory stock Camaro, and 600LBS will effect your ET's considerably. That's why running low 12's is doing a lot for a 4200 LB car. And that's dry weight for a Marauder. At Englishtown, NJ after my first run of the day, I drove onto the scale, and my Marauder registered 4,444 LBS with a half tank of gas, and me sitting inside (I weight 205 LBS).
If needs by I will probably look at doing ported heads and blower cams. But I would first try and see how much I could get out of the stock motor.

BillyGman
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
It depends on how extreme you want to go with other things such as gears, and stall speed. I've obtained low 12's in the warm whether, and two 12.0's in the cool whether with merely 9.5 PSI of boost pressure, and 400 RWHP by going with a 3,000 RPM stall speed, and 4.56 gears in the rear. my trap speed with those gears is 114 MPH, but it does cost me 4 MPG as compared to the stock 3.55's and I have lost some top end acceleration over 100 MPH. but the car is still perfectly streetable, and I drive it every day to work, even in the snow without problem. The driveability has NOT been effected at all. (other than lower gas mileage that is)

MikesMerc
01-07-2005, 06:31 PM
If needs by I will probably look at doing ported heads and blower cams. sd

You'll want to think very carefully about this mod. The cams for the DOHC 4.6 are over priced and very expensive for the tiny gains. And any modest port work on the heads yield little gain at all without hoggin out the ports and killing low end velocity. I've seen a ton guys do this to their mustangs and the return on investment has been horrible. Gains can be had, but the cams/head port mod on the 4.6 DOHC motors would come in dead last on the bang for the buck scale. I'd give Lidio a call and talk this over with him.

sailsmen
01-07-2005, 06:41 PM
As far as I am concerned the DOHC Madular Motor already has an agressive cam.

Phil @ FLP
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
You'll want to think very carefully about this mod. The cams for the DOHC 4.6 are over priced and very expensive for the tiny gains. And any modest port work on the heads yield little gain at all without hoggin out the ports and killing low end velocity. I've seen a ton guys do this to their mustangs and the return on investment has been horrible. Gains can be had, but the cams/head port mod on the 4.6 DOHC motors would come in dead last on the bang for the buck scale. I'd give Lidio a call and talk this over with him.
Heads and cams are expensive but we work with one of the best engine builders in the country, Fast Times in Elk Grove Village, IL. They do alot of race motors and street motors, anybody who is active in professional racing in the Midwest knows about them. And their engine guys have enough experience to not just "hog out the ports". As far as cams go to fully take advantage of a forced induction motor you need to select a cam that is designed for it. A aftermarket cam doesnt need to be more aggressive than stock to make more power you mearly need to make the valve events change to suite your engines needs.

Bradley G
01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
There has not been much info on cams and porting and such here.Maybe You could travel some new ground for the membership?Please report your findings!

Bradley G

Heads and cams are expensive but we work with one of the best engine builders in the country, Fast Times in Elk Grove Village, IL. They do alot of race motors and street motors, anybody who is active in professional racing in the Midwest knows about them. And their engine guys have enough experience to not just "hog out the ports". As far as cams go to fully take advantage of a forced induction motor you need to select a cam that is designed for it. A aftermarket cam doesnt need to be more aggressive than stock to make more power you mearly need to make the valve events change to suite your engines needs.

MikesMerc
01-08-2005, 08:35 PM

I do indeed understand all this. And, all things being equal, some custom head work and a good set of cams can add performance no doubt. But, what I refer to is the actual gains seen by many DOHC 4.6 mustang guys as compared to the cost. The "bang for the buck" formula is poor according to a few buddies who've gone this route as well as the info you can pick up on the forums like The Corral.

I'm not saying its worthless. There's just far better things to spend the money on as far as the enitre drivetrain. But, once all that is done, if there is money left in the budget (a good chunk) then doing head work and cams I suppose is out there.

There has not been much info on cams and porting and such here.

Brad, just look around at the mustang guys running the dohc 4.6. The newer dohc 4.6 we run (as does the navigator and mach I) aren't different enough to invalidate the tons of data out there regarding head/cam work on these motors. Google will get you tons of data.

Again, not poo poo ing the idea, just passing along data already out there about this kind of mod on these newer mod motors.

All that said, if I ever get into the motor, I'll likely do at least a bit of bowl work. Cams I dunno, they are pretty pricey for the gains.

Bradley G
01-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks Mike,

I need to crawl first!:alone:
But I appreciate your info!
Bradley G