PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy's Marauder #1 Update....

Lidio
01-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Jerry Barns from Trilogy told me a little while ago that he wanted his Marauder to be faster then mine for the ’05 season in the quarter mile.

So over the last few weeks, a game plan started to come together for what we would do to achieve this goal of his.
As a refresher my MM has gone a best of 11.47 at 122mph in the quarter mile at a tad over 4400lbs. This was accomplished with totally stock exhaust, 4.10’s in the rear end with widened stock wheels plus the Nitto 305 drag radials. The Trilogy blower making about 14psi of boost and a shot of NOS that’s adding another 80hp on top of it all. When I use the NOS and achieve this performance out of my MM I use only 100 octane unleaded fuel so that it will live longer and better prevent detination under these conditions.

We’ve known that on any MM with a Trilogy that there is a minimum of at least 35-50 extra Rear Wheel HP, by going with the Kooks long tubes, and a full 2.5” exhaust. So that’s exactly what we did with Jerry’s Marauder number 1. In the last few days we’ve completed the full Kooks install and also used the kooks supplied X-pipe with two cats and Kooks mufflers as well. Then from the mufflers back I had the rest of the system custom done in 2.5” also with delete tips. And on top of it all Jerry and I decided to also go with an 80-90 shot of Nitrous on his MM as well. The little shot of NOS just like my MM would require the 100 unleaded (or better) race fuel. Just like my MM the NOS comes on only at WOT and when the NOS is switched on the chip goes into a secondary mode that pulls some spark and adds fuel accordingly, because its what is considered a "DRY" Nitrous kit where you only inject NOS into the intake and no additional fuel. The additional fuel is handle by the computer. This makes for a far more reliable NOS system and greatly reduces if not eliminates the chances of a Nitrous back-fire.

Any way to rap it all up. Jerry car on our Dyno-Jet Dyno with the new Kooks headers and a full 2.5” exhaust has now produced 462-RWHP and 469-RWTQ. This is on 93 octane with the stock throttle body. A couple of other MM’s with the same exact combo will make 470 to 480 RWHP when the have the large oval T/B we some times use.

Then when we used the shot of NOS on Jerry’s car with 100 unleaded in the tank…. The RWHP jumped to about 530!!. I say “about” because theirs a little spike at the end of the pull. And the RWTQ jumped to a max of 575ft lbs !! Not to shabby.

Jerry’s number – 1 Marauder now has just over 40K on the ODO since the Trilogy blower went on. So far the motor still sounds and feels like new. This car is not lucky. Its living proof that with a safe tune, these modern 4.6L’s with their non forged pistons can live for quite some time with even 10-12psi of boost. Not just the stock 9.5psi of a Trilogy kit. Its hard to say how much longer Jerry’s T - 1 will live at the level of power its going to now make especially with the NOS. My own has now gone about 18-19K with the blower and the NOS and lots of mostly high 11 second passes and several very mid 11 second passes. And its gona get it just as hard the 05 season when my Mach-1 is resting.

I’ve posted the Rear Wheel dyno sheet from Jerry’s car with the best pull it made with the Nitrous. Of course like any other MM I dyno now days, the torque converter is locked in 3rd gear for the whole pull. The amount of mid range TQ on this thing is serious.

Thanks

Tallboy
01-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Great job, Lidio! Thanks for another informative post. I can't wait to see the results!:burnout:
You guys are making it awfully hard not to do the exhaust/gears...[tapping fingers on checkbook...]:cool4:

Zack
01-07-2005, 04:09 PM
That is awesome to say the least.
What fuel pump/BAP combo are you running?

Lidio
01-07-2005, 04:25 PM
That is awesome to say the least.
What fuel pump/BAP combo are you running?

The in-tank fuel pump is the Focus pump I like these days and the BAP is wired in the "before" method. The adjustment knob is maxed out on the BAP.
The fuel system did not run quite as rich as I would like when the car got over 6200 rpms on the dyno in 3rd gear. So its maxed out totally. So when its in the NOS mode because of the stout mid range it will make, I'm setting it up to shift at about 5900 rpms plus lock the converter in 3rd at WOT at about 105mph. This based on what I've learned on my MM should keep T-1 from going through the traps at no more then 5800 to 6000rpms.

Other wise its heading towards the twin pump deal in the tank.
I have to say though. The Focus pump with a BAP has been good to me in lots of applications for about a year now.

Thanks

TechHeavy
01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh boy! I may need to revise my mod list for this year! :D

CBT
01-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Daaaaang.:beer::burnout: :burnout:

cmalo
01-07-2005, 06:20 PM
You're the man, Lidio.

Chuck

FastMerc
01-07-2005, 06:28 PM
OK I want to see that car at Norwalk this year,right Jerry:) :burnout: Go fast man.

MikesMerc
01-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Holy Cow! That's some serious power. Good job!

I know we talked about a different path for me when I was at your shop last week, Lidio. But, perhaps i want to rethink my plan of attack again:D

I'll be in touch soon!

sailsmen
01-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Wooooow! Nice numbers. :banana2:

It will be interesting to see how long the Mod Motor will stay together in "T1" if they keep driving her the same way. I have heard they beat on her pretty good.

Bradley G
01-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Jerry is gonna have to keep a tire changer on retainer with that setup!

Bradley G
If that car can withstand the abuse Jerry & the membership has given it , it is definatly worthy!

Bigdogjim
01-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess he (Jerry) want to ready to street race again? :rofl:

Great job:up:

BillyGman
01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow!! Look at that dyno chart!!! The power just explodes at merely 2750 RPM ! At only 3,000 RPM, the engine is already making 300 RWHP and a whopping 520+ FT/LBS of Torque! :eek:

I'd like to be in that car right when it hits about 2800 RPM.:banana2:

It will be intersting to see just how long the drivertrain holds up under that kind of power, and with such a heavy car. I wish you the best Jerry & Lidio.:banana2:

Jerry Barnes
01-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Lidio,

Great Job! I can hardly wait to do a little street racing. I love that look on the competitors face! And as far as being faster then you, forget it. I am happy with being #2. I really appreciate all of the hard work and effrort you and your guys have put into our cars. The results speak for themselves!

Just to let everyone else know, there were/are a couple of additional things being done to the car:
1. Moser rear axles
2. Auburn posi
3. Battery in the trunk
4. Carbon Fiber seats(planned)
5. Aluminum front fenders, trunk and hood(planned)
6. Trilogy Body Kit

Anyway, still having fun and really looking forward to this summer.

Once again, a big thanks to Lidio and all of the guys at Alternative Auto(Mark, Jason, Mat) for giving us such great service!

I am smelling the 10's.

Have a good one!

Jerry

Smokie
01-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Jerry, your car makes about 90 hp at 2250 rpm's and mine makes about 115 hp at 2250 rpm's...so I challenge you to a race to 2251 rpm's.....I'm toast after that....:rofl:

Bradley G
01-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Jerry,

If you are smelling tens, That currently smashes the top timeslips posted here!A half second faster won't be any cakewalk huh?:cool4:
Bradley G

MikesMerc
01-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Jerry, your car makes about 90 hp at 2250 rpm's and mine makes about 115 hp at 2250 rpm's...so I challenge you to a race to 2251 rpm's.....I'm toast after that....:rofl:

LOL...you're toast from the moment the light changes :laugh:

Anything under 2900 on the graph isn't WOT power....Lidio rolled into the throttle on the dyno. I wouldn't be surprised if that car made almost twice your HP at 2250 with the blower and NOS at WOT:D

Smokie
01-08-2005, 05:31 PM
LOL...you're toast from the moment the light changes :laugh: I wouldn't be surprised if that car made almost twice your HP at 2250 with the blower and NOS at WOT:DOh Yeah !!!.....give a moment I'm thinking.....:sweat:

Phil @ FLP
01-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Why do you dyno it with the converter locked?

Bradley G
01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
It gives an early(rpm) read and no spikes to deal with?locked @ 38 mph in 3rd right?
Bradley G

Lidio
01-08-2005, 07:15 PM

A lot of people don’t know this but when you Chassis-dyno a stock MM and most other modern Ford’s with electric Automatic’s…. the converter is locked any way. On most Ford’s the converter actually locks in the middle of second gear and stays locked the rest of the time, especially at WOT in 2nd and 3rd. This is one of the key things that I change on my performance tune for MM’s with my custom tunes for those cars with and with out supercharging. But to make for a more accurate and lower starting TQ and HP curve for chassis dynoing only, I set them up to lock-up and not down shift out of 3rd gear (1:1 ratio).

Also for the dyno sheet that I posted here with the NOS…. Mike Z is correct! I did role into it and then the NOS kicked when I fully got the pedal to the floor.
That’s why you can see in the graph that the HP and TQ are climbing and then spike up real high at about 2800 when the NOS kicks in.

This is a graph I posted in an earlier post of a stone stock MM with only a base Trilogy kit installed. I started much earlier on this pull to really show off the amount of low end HP and TQ these baby’s have with a only a Trilogy installed.

Here is that other graph : www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50 42

Glenn
01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Lidio/Jerry:

Is it possible to have you both here in Atlanta at the April FFW to run against Atlanta's 4.6 700+ hp Cobra Master MM. It would be great to see 3 MMs running in the 10s. It sure would turn alot of Ford heads and make some national car news.

Glenn

Jerry Barnes
01-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Oops, I almost forgot some other changes for #1. Additionally we :

1. Balanced the drive shaft
2. Will be installing Baer Brakes all around

More to come...............

Jerry

mpearce
01-08-2005, 09:55 PM
That RWHP is really impressive! What sorts of times are you guys thinking you'll pull off? Low 11's? Think you might even hit the 10.99's? That would be incredible! Thanks for the updates!

-Mat

Lidio
01-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I’d like to believe that low 11’s are gona happen with the Trilogy car. We’re starting to reach a point where it’s going to get harder and harder to go much faster with these 4500 pound cars in the ¼ mile. Jerry’s car is making quite a bit more then mine at the rear wheels but in the real world that could only amount to 2-4 tenths in the 1/4 mile over mine. Although, once in the 11’s with these bricks… The rest aint coming easy.

This is why I’m backing off after mid 11’s in the 1/4 with these cars for the guys who want to go there. After that, gutting will be required and above all…. Deep-Pockets!
Those guys who’ve been there even with a lighter car know what I mean.

Thanks