PDA

View Full Version : Old threads

Racerx88
01-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Logan, under each thread's title, the thread starter's screen name is listed. Is there anyway to also list the DATE the thread was originally started? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of all these old threads being brought back from the dead!
:censor:

MM03MOK
01-10-2005, 08:46 AM
One suggestion I had was the poster resurrecting an old thread should say so in their post, since THEY know it's old. Logan does not want to close old thread since some may still have valid information. I think your suggestion is a good one but people still won't read it, especially if you access the thread from the home page. Another thought.....for future old threads......start the title of the thread with the date.....1.10.05 Thread Name

DEFYANT
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Logan, under each thread's title, the thread starter's screen name is listed. Is there anyway to also list the DATE the thread was originally started? I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of all these old threads being brought back from the dead!
Check this out:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15001

prchrman
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM

And the problem is ?????? willie

jonroe
01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
There's a balancing act for those of us who are newer here. We don't want to bring up old threads unnecessarily but we also want to do our homework before starting a new thread unnecessarily. You really can't win either way. Recently, I dug up an older thread about killing the Belt Minder because I found the old discussion but without a resolution so I brought it back up because I can't find an answer on how to disable my Belt Minder. I'll try to be careful.

Jon

Racerx88
01-10-2005, 03:41 PM
All of you have valid points, but if the start date was listed with the thread starter's screen name, those of us who've been around since then can choose to pass on the thread instead of having to pull it up and THEN find out it's old.

martyo
01-10-2005, 04:11 PM
All of you have valid points, but if the start date was listed with the thread starter's screen name, those of us who've been around since then can choose to pass on the thread instead of having to pull it up and THEN find out it's old.

Yeah, like everyone on here is so busy that they don't want to read every post. I will say this (learned in my first year of law school): "Liar, liar pants on fire!"

Bigdogjim
01-10-2005, 04:36 PM
When you open a thread the date is in the pper left.

Guess you'll just have to look and if it's old move on.

I kinda like the system the way it is:)

Date could be put before thread title starting now?

DEFYANT
01-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Fresh minds fresh ideas. But sometimes we have the same questions as you board elders. Maybe a newbe will have an answer to an old question.
:hide:

Racerx88
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Logan, you never answered my original question. Can this be done or not?
Seems like something that, if it can be done, would be a benefit. Those that choose to ignore the info could, and those that want to know an old thread BEFORE they open it, could have their cake too.

Nobody else needs to answer here, JUST Logan please.

Thanks! :D

Cobra25
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Logan, you never answered my original question. Can this be done or not?
Seems like something that, if it can be done, would be a benefit. Those that choose to ignore the info could, and those that want to know an old thread BEFORE they open it, could have their cake too.

Nobody else needs to answer here, JUST Logan please.

Thanks! :D Even though you might not want anybody else to answer when you make a post people do. Thats life. If you wanted only Logans answer then PM him and don't post. As far as old tread or new tread well you do have a good arguement. Anything that improves the site is always welcome as far as I'm concerned. Good luck in you quest of the change.

Logan
01-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, y'all assume I actually see every post and thread, this one slipped right by... :)

Anyway, No, I don't want dates in the thread title. I'm actually going to put together system to handle if a user trys to post to a thread over 30 days old...

MM03MOK
01-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Anyway, No, I don't want dates in the thread title. I'm actually going to put together system to handle if a user trys to post to a thread over 30 days old... Cool. But, that's only part of the issue - everyone else reading an old thread and not realizing it.

Logan
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
It's only an issue if people are allowed to resurrect them. My system will intercept them from posting and I'm thinking a little paragraph to explain that resurrecting is generally frowed upon and will show them a lovely "New Thread" Icon.

I guess I could also consider putting an additional icon in the "New Posts" link beside thread names that are over 30 days old.

Krytin
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
There's a balancing act for those of us who are newer here. We don't want to bring up old threads unnecessarily but we also want to do our homework before starting a new thread unnecessarily. You really can't win either way. Recently, I dug up an older thread about killing the Belt Minder because I found the old discussion but without a resolution so I brought it back up because I can't find an answer on how to disable my Belt Minder. I'll try to be careful.

Jon
I think Jon brought up a valid point - an old thread being researched that did not come to a "resolution" of topic might be resolved by fresh discussion! Keeping the entire discussion under one thread would be better from a research standpoint. Then again, everyones entitled to an opinion.

Logan
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Right, that's why I want people to still be able to do it, only be warned about it first and to consider WHY they're adding to an old thread first.

Krytin
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks Logan! Much appreciated

Racerx88
01-19-2005, 07:35 AM
I guess I could also consider putting an additional icon in the "New Posts" link beside thread names that are over 30 days old.

Wonderful idea.
Thanks Dad.

Bradley G
01-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Here I thought it was good for members to search through archives to add current comments,ideas and resolutions.I think it is awsome reading an origional thread from the outset of MM.net(Pre-Brad).But by Logans reaction, He obviously does not agree! Logan your tone in threads dateing back to 2002 was ...........let's say different:o

Bradley G

Racerx88
01-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Here I thought it was good for members to search through archives to add current comments,ideas and resolutions.

What's to stop anyone from doing that? All we're talking about here is putting the original thread date somewhere so members will know up front it's an old thread BEFORE they click on it. That's all. Nothing more nothing less and definetly nothing to prevent anyone from reading them or posting to them.

DEFYANT
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
I can understand your frustration in the old junk threads. Like "What did you do today" threads. Those should be banished. But tech threads or threads with unresolved questions should not be changed or meddled with.

My.02

Racerx88
01-19-2005, 12:02 PM
.............But tech threads or threads with unresolved questions should not be changed or meddled with.
What meddling!! All I'm asking for is an original posting date be listed under the link to the thread, THAT'S ALL.

Krytin
01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Let's hope nobody resurects THIS thread 12 months from now! LOL!

jonroe
01-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I can see it now. If I resurrect an old thread I'm frowned upon but if I don't do my homework and just start a new one I get in trouble for that - which do you all want? :help:

Just tell me the rules and I'll follow them.

Thanks.

Jon

Bradley G
01-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Let's keep it simple;on Mondays and................Heh Heh:o

Bradley G

Yeah, I can see it now. If I resurrect an old thread I'm frowned upon but if I don't do my homework and just start a new one I get in trouble for that - which do you all want? :help:

Thanks.

Jon

Rider90
01-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Thanks.

Jon

The rules are generally stay in the backround unless you have something good to add, search first when you have a question, and if you want to bump an old thread it better be an "oldie-but-goodie" or you better PM the person you are asking :cool: if you get a high enough post count and most people consider you "smart" then you may bump whatever you want just be sure to include a picture of a blonde in a two piece with your post and everything will be A-OK! :beer:

Bradley G
01-20-2005, 05:41 AM
You do learn fast!

Bradley G

The rules are generally stay in the backround unless you have something good to add, search first when you have a question, and if you want to bump an old thread it better be an "oldie-but-goodie" or you better PM the person you are asking :cool: if you get a high enough post count and most people consider you "smart" then you may bump whatever you want just be sure to include a picture of a blonde in a two piece with your post and everything will be A-OK! :beer:

jonroe
01-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Okay, I'll try to get smarter real fast!

Bradley G
01-20-2005, 06:03 AM
And it doesn't have to be in that order!

Bradley G

Okay, I'll try to get smarter real fast!

Bluerauder
01-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Sure seems like a lot of discussion about a non-problem !!! :rolleyes: Ok, so there is an occasional "Old Thread" resurrection, big deal. It ain't like this happens all the time. Just chalk it up to the learning process ... and besides ... some of those old threads contain useful information that needs to be brought to the forefront every so often. So, if it ain't broke ......
:soapbox: