PDA

View Full Version : Cold air Kit arrives!

Bradley G
01-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks Jay Tucker!,

I recieved your cold air induction kit today, Thank you!!!
I know I already sent you a note saying so,But I wanted to let the members know too!As I stated eariler,I have contacted a Vendor on the board here CJ @ Dyno-pro Fox river grove IL. has agreed to dyno (3X) a baselines on a stock air box then I am going to install Jays' kit and run it 3 more times allowing suffecient (equal) time for cool down.I with CJ's help post results in the form of graphs and such.So as I stated in another thread, I will post what day we will be doing the testing,If anyone wants to attend please feel free to contact me or just show up!I wll be celebrating after with anyone here who is interested.
Bradley G

Tucker
01-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Sounds great Brad.

Let me know what and when???

bigslim
01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
As you know Brad, me and Lidio did this samething with the K&N on my car. It only netted about 5-6hp with the new air charger. With that and a retune on my chip I gained about 10hp. Good luck with yours.

Bradley G
01-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Darrel,

Thanks Buddy! I have never even got the Brick on a treadmill yet!:mad: I have not gotten a base line stock.I saw the Dyno At Indy,but couldn't get close.I have since also gone with Lidio's programing and 4:10's (Like your '03 Black)If I net ten more horsepower I will be:banana: Greatful! I think as stated the factory air box is very good! the reason the gains are not huge.I think mine is fat! So some real numbers,will be helpful to see where I stand!I am so pumped!:D
Bradley G

Bradley G
01-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Ok, I could'nt wait! I installed JLT's cold air intake!:)

A few notes;I made a slight adjustment to the main tube.The edges were very sharp and a few splinters along the edgeof the Pipe(pvc).I took some 150# sand paper and champhered the edges.I have had pvc splinters before and it is no picnic:mad: .The next thing I would suggest is read the install post just prior to doing it yourself!Their were a few tips that would have saved me some time.The only difficult part of the install is getting the rubber connectors over the Maf ( rubber boot looks too small ) but it does fit!I read that a rubber lubricant does make fitting the parts together easier.Taking all the parts and assembling first is a tip to consider.And a final adjustment aligning the tube so it doesn't touch anything else around it!As far as my 1st impression It seems to pull a little harder through the RPM band and makes more noise when your on the go fast pedal.I am currently running with Blizzaks so I did'nt get too aggressive:nono: But I like what I see and feel so far,and will continue to report as things develop.I should probably replace the snows with OEM tires for the Dyno testing? Or am I just being silly?:help:
Thanks Jay ! I hope to be testing your Kit real soon!
Bradley G

Bradley G
01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
One thing I forgot to mention their is one piece not included in the kit it connects the valve cover vent to the 90* elbow that comes out of the side of the tube.It is a 5/8"X5/8" plastic barbed connector.I got it at the local hardware store It set me back .99 cents + tax:twocents: Their is a small piece of hose supplied to splice/extend the existing vent hose.Not a big deal just FYI

Bradley G

Directedby
01-14-2005, 01:22 AM
One thing I forgot to mention their is one piece not included in the kit it connects the valve cover vent to the 90* elbow that comes out of the side of the tube.It is a 5/8"X5/8" plastic barbed connector.I got it at the local hardware store It set me back .99 cents + tax:twocents: Their is a small piece of hose supplied to splice/extend the existing vent hose.Not a big deal just FYI

Bradley G

My JLT kit which I got was also missing the hose. I had the intake off and the JLT installed then no hose. had to remove JLT put back factory intake to drive to pep boys.

I told Jay and he was nice and said that the hose should be in al the kits. Jay, great product, but check all the kits for this hose.

Tucker
01-14-2005, 04:49 AM

Bradley GBrad, that hose connects to the plastic fitting that is in the factory pcv hose when you remove it from the stock intake tube. You shouldn't need to buy anything.
I had left out a few hoses in the past, but seem to have that straight.
Sorry guys, one man band here, trying to keep up with the big guys.

SergntMac
01-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Ok, I could'nt wait! I installed JLT's cold air intake!:)

Bradley GCareful now, don't fudge up your baseline. Now that you have had some fun with the JLT, best to restore the OEM and drive on it a while before testing, or, you may not see any difference at all.

Bradley G
01-14-2005, 08:09 AM
How long will I have to run the factory box, til I can test?

Bradley G

Careful now, don't fudge up your baseline. Now that you have had some fun with the JLT, best to restore the OEM and drive on it a while before testing, or, you may not see any difference at all.

SergntMac
01-14-2005, 09:12 AM
How long will I have to run the factory box, til I can test? Bradley GI would think that 4 or 5 WOT on-ramp romps should bring things back to OEM. In fact, do a few "pulls" from the stoplight on your way to the dyno, should warm everything up nicely and deliver a solid baseline. BTW, this is why I suggest you discount the your first dyno pull, because all you're doing is getting the drivetrain warmed up.

Rider90
01-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I heard to disconnect the battery for 15 mins to let it drain out so when the computer starts back up it has to re-learn the parameters of the air flow intake and such...I'm feel like I'm talking like a ricer owner, but thats what I heard....confirm??

DEFYANT
01-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I heard to disconnect the battery for 15 mins to let it drain out so when the computer starts back up it has to re-learn the parameters of the air flow intake and such...I'm feel like I'm talking like a ricer owner, but thats what I heard....confirm??
That is true. Except I am not sure if there is a procedure for getting the computer in tune. Now, my 98 Cobra was that simple. When you reconnect the battery, you were good to go.

Bradley G
01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
If I drove it @ WOT 4-5 times would that not be warming up the driveline?I would think with my big azz in there, and the other 4400#s' would be better than the drums rolling resistance?What about disconnecting the battery each time?May not give the best potential #'s?
Bradley G
I would think that 4 or 5 WOT on-ramp romps should bring things back to OEM. In fact, do a few "pulls" from the stoplight on your way to the dyno, should warm everything up nicely and deliver a solid baseline. BTW, this is why I suggest you discount the your first dyno pull, because all you're doing is getting the drivetrain warmed up.

Bradley G
01-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey MMers,

I know this is very short notice but If you want to check out A Dyno test on JLT's RAI it will be @ Dyno-pro in fox river grove IL.@ 2:30 pm (home of Norge ski jump 100 year old attraction !)Look on the vendor board for exact adress.I can say no one would get lost getting there it is ez to find!one block west of northwest highway14 on route 22.
Bradley G

SergntMac
01-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Half dozen of another, it all the same thing.

Disconnecting the battery wipes out the recent data. The EEC will rebuild this data once it's gone, and 4-5 WOT on ramp runs will do that in a short period of time, and you're good to go.

If you don't clear the memory, you'll get the same end result anyway, the fresh data will overwrite older data. Either way, the best method of restoring your original tune, is by refreshing recent data with 4-5 WOT runs.

Do what you want Brad, it's all cool with me.

Bradley G
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey Mac,

I'm not telling only asking and reporting!CJ claimed to drive it a good bit 20 min or so ,But not to go WOT several times,... Darn!:mad: Well anyway, I'm giving her a bath and cleanout and If time allows I will put OEM tires back on! Maybe do a finally burnout :burnout:after we get it all tested!
Bradley G
Just got off the phone W/ CJ , it looks like later than antisipated!