PDA

View Full Version : Limo Control Arms

torinodan
01-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks to Warpath and Ray. I ordered the Limo upper control arms from Ray the other week. Fast promt service I'll add! They were exactly how they looked in the pics from Warpath. Now, I can't remember too much about the handleing of my MM before I went overseas, but it felt too squirly in the rear going over bumps in turns. I went to Team and had the new control arms installed and right away the car feels better!!! After I got back I found out that the old drivers side upper control arm was not close to straight (bent), and the lower dosn't look well either. Maybe this had something to do with the handleing being off. So I'm going to need the lowers. Glad to be the guine pig and for a budget in mind they hold up well and I'm happy.
http://www.mercurymarauder.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45 47
http://www.mercurymarauder.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45 48

Warpath
01-17-2005, 07:23 PM
...They were exactly how they looked in the pics from Warpath...

Imagine that. :P

The lowers and watts link on limos are the same as all other Panther vehicles.

torinodan
01-18-2005, 05:17 AM
yup, now I just need some lowers that aren't twisted!!

GordonB
01-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Food for Tinkering:
Has anyone thought of doubling up on the stock LOWER control Arms? Need to have them `face` each other to get more strength. If anyone wants to try, I have 2 stock sets of Lowers without bushings if you want to pay the freight or stop by my house in suburban Wash, DC.

GordonB

gdmjoe
01-19-2005, 08:07 AM
GordonB - Food for Tinkering: Has anyone thought of doubling up on the stock LOWER control Arms? Need to have them `face` each other to get more strength. If anyone wants to try, I have 2 stock sets of Lowers without bushings if you want to pay the freight or stop by my house in suburban Wash, DC.
Boxing 'em ( essentially what you're suggesting ) does add strength.

Available from Angry Duck Tofu Racing (http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=suspen).

GordonB
01-19-2005, 12:17 PM
gdmjoe,
If anyone is a competent welder, they could `box' the Lowers using mine and it wouldn't cost $100!!!! I would bet that the doubling of the Lowers welded together would provide the needed strength to be able to have an `all Ford' control arm rear end. You would still need a large rear aftermarket sway bar.
GordonB

Warpath
01-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Would both arms fit over the bushings? It doesn't seem worth the effort considering the aftermarket arms available.

Tallboy
01-19-2005, 07:30 PM
I have the limo upper control arms on my car and love 'em. Thanks, Warpath!:beer:

gdmjoe
01-19-2005, 08:38 PM
GordonB - gdmjoe, If anyone is a competent welder, they could `box' the Lowers using mine and it wouldn't cost $100!!!! I would bet that the doubling of the Lowers welded together would provide the needed strength to be able to have an `all Ford' control arm rear end. You would still need a large rear aftermarket sway bar.
Yep, knew that ( competent / self welder ); was just noting that they're commerically available.

Regarding large rear aftermarket sway bar ... am currently happy with my upgrade. Though the LX Sport supposedly has the HPP ( Handling and Performance Package ), the rear sway-bar is 17MM; went with a 21MM ( which IS the HPP version ) and Energy Suspension end-links. *Known issue with the LX Sports.

fastblackmerc
01-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Yep, knew that ( competent / self welder ); was just noting that they're commerically available.

Regarding large rear aftermarket sway bar ... am currently happy with my upgrade. Though the LX Sport supposedly has the HPP ( Handling and Performance Package ), the rear sway-bar is 17MM; went with a 21MM ( which IS the HPP version ) and Energy Suspension end-links. *Known issue with the LX Sports.

Why not just box the stock arms? A little welding, grinding, powdercoating, if you wish....

GordonB
01-19-2005, 09:33 PM
gdmjoe,
BTW, the Stock MM rear sway bar is 21mm. The upgrade that many of us have done is to the Addco 24mm rear bar with Poly bushings in addition to the Metco, Zack & Mac, or Ford rear control arms. I have done the upgrades on Both my MMs and the rears of my cars absolutely rock -- rock solid.

To all others,
If you are interested in my Stock rear control arms w/o bushings, pls PM me. I have 2 sets begging for a good home.

GordonB

gdmjoe
01-20-2005, 08:00 AM
GordonB - gdmjoe, BTW, the Stock MM rear sway bar is 21mm.
Yep ... Know that.

The upgrade that many of us have done is to the Addco 24mm rear bar with Poly bushings in addition to the Metco, Zack & Mac, or Ford rear control arms. I have done the upgrades on Both my MMs and the rears of my cars absolutely rock -- rock solid.
Knew that as well; have followed all of the threads here well over a year now. For the most part a lurker, but definitely not a newbie ( actually, more of a o' fart geezer that has self-wrenched FoMoCos for over 40 years ). *Have even been known to hang with the Carolina Marauder contingent. :D

arco
02-03-2006, 04:55 AM
This link states, they (boxed type) only fit '92 -'97's.
Anyone try this, on a MM, with any success?
Any additional hardware required?
Boxing 'em ( essentially what you're suggesting ) does add strength.

Available from Angry Duck Tofu Racing (http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=suspen).

Agent M79
02-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Yep ... Know that.

Knew that as well; have followed all of the threads here well over a year now. For the most part a lurker, but definitely not a newbie ( actually, more of a o' fart geezer that has self-wrenched FoMoCos for over 40 years ). *Have even been known to hang with the Carolina Marauder contingent. :D

Joe's car is awesome. He is among the couple of guys in this area that know scary amount of stuff about their cars and cars in general.

Hope to see ya again Joe, we don't see enough of you.

gdmjoe
02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
arco - This link states, they (boxed type) only fit '92 -'97's.
Chris (a.k.a RocketCouch®) could probably do something for the 1998+ panthers; if you're interested give him a shout. Or ... Was your intention a self-inflicted mod' ?

Anyone try this, on a MM, with any success?
Unless you're doing the welding yourself, the $$$$$ would probably be better spent in (say) a METCO offering.

Any additional hardware required?
If it's a DIY, you would probably have to be concerned about heat being transferred to the bushings (and replacement if warranted).

:twocents:

gdmjoe
02-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Agent M79 - Joe's car is awesome. He is among the couple of guys in this area that know scary amount of stuff about their cars and cars in general.
You are WAY too kind sir.

Hope to see ya again Joe, we don't see enough of you.
And all this time I figured that you had forgotten about good o' what's his name. :D

Yep ... Miss NC. In case you hadn't heard ... went from damn Yankee, back to Northern Redneck. So appearances will be fewer and farther inbetween, though I do anticipate visiting the area sometime later this year.

arco
02-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks,
I aready got(bought) the lowers.
I will try Chris.
Chris (a.k.a RocketCouch®) could probably do something for the 1998+ panthers; if you're interested give him a shout. Or ... Was your intention a self-inflicted mod' ?

Unless you're doing the welding yourself, the $$$$$ would probably be better spent in (say) a METCO offering.

If it's a DIY, you would probably have to be concerned about heat being transferred to the bushings (and replacement if warranted).

:twocents:

Marauderjack
02-04-2006, 05:24 AM
What are the part numbers for these "Limo" control arms??:confused:

Marauderjack:help:

gdmjoe
02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Marauderjack - What are the part numbers for these "Limo" control arms??:confused:Marauderjack:h elp:
3W1Z-5500-AA Upper
3W1Z-5A649-AA Lower