PDA

View Full Version : KDW-2 Rear Tires

Smokie
01-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Bought a new pair of rear tires, went with the KDW-2 that my friend Todd had recommended, the size is 255/55/18.

That is 10 inches across and .5" taller than OEM, I checked with GPS for speedo accuracy and was very pleased to find a very tiny discrepancy between speedo and GPS. On average the difference at 60 mph was speedo was low by about .5 mph, at 80 mph the difference was about .8 mph.

I don't have much highway time on them but I do not notice a difference in sound, perhaps my exhaust covers up any possible sound increase. Tomorrow I will be driving about 600 miles so if there is anything to add I will post.

Pictures below.

Directedby
01-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Bought a new pair of rear tires, went with the KDW-2 that my friend Todd had recommended, the size is 255/55/18.

That is 10 inches across and .5" taller than OEM, I checked with GPS for speedo accuracy and was very pleased to find a very tiny discrepancy between speedo and GPS. On average the difference at 60 mph was speedo was low by about .5 mph, at 80 mph the difference was about .8 mph.

I don't have much highway time on them but I do not notice a difference in sound, perhaps my exhaust covers up any possible sound increase. Tomorrow I will be driving about 600 miles so if there is anything to add I will post.

Pictures below.

they look great. do they have them (smaller) for the front?

Smokie
01-15-2005, 03:41 PM
they look great. do they have them (smaller) for the front?
Yes, you can get the fronts in the OEM size.:)

jgc61sr2002
01-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Javier - I concur, one good looking tire. Very nice tread design. :D

BillyGman
01-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey they look very good. :banana2:

SergntMac
01-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree with them ^ there...New high watermark for a street performance tire?

sailsmen
01-15-2005, 04:55 PM
I have them on the rears, they helped drop my 60', which is in S/C territory.I guess I got that big block feel w/out the S/C. ;) Unlike the OEM they do hook. :)

Once the OEM's spin they are like a gyro, they take a licking and keep on spinning.

Drives03Maraude
01-15-2005, 05:04 PM
How much did those KDW's set u back?
It is ashamed after seeing these I have 2 extra new 245's KDWS laying in my room:(
-Dennis Stiles

SergntMac
01-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I have them on the rears
Bring the sales reciept for the new tires to Traffic Court, it may affect your testimony...wink wink...

bigslim
01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
I do like those tires. I will have to keep them in mind. ;)

Mad4Macs
01-15-2005, 06:21 PM
What's funny, is that I just visited BFG's website and did a search for tires for the Marauder.
Web site said that they don't make any tires for our wheel size;
"Your vehicle: 2003 MERCURY Marauder Standard Rear
Your vehicle's original equipment tire size: 245/55ZR18 103W.
We're sorry. There are no original equipment tire matches for your vehicle. But we did find alternate sizes. These tires could enhance the performance and look of your vehicle, but you may need to purchase new wheels."
Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Smokie
01-15-2005, 07:09 PM
How much did those KDW's set u back?
It is ashamed after seeing these I have 2 extra new 245's KDWS laying in my room:(
-Dennis Stiles$126 each, total, installed end of story....my oldest son took good care of his old man. He is a CARFIXER also.

wesman
01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree with them ^ there...New high watermark for a street performance tire?
From extensively reading the tirerack.com site, it seems the latest and greatest are the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 , and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for both wet and dry grip in a Max performance street tire. The difference is the Goodyears are cheaper, and the PS2s are pretty pricey. For the ultimate dry DOT legal performance there is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, which was made for trackday people to drive to the event on the same tires they will hit the track with so they don't have to change tires.

Smokie
01-15-2005, 07:19 PM
they helped drop my 60', which is in S/C territory ;) I am hoping they will do they same for me.:D

GarageMahal
01-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear you like them Smokie and thanks for posting the speedo info. I am planning to put them on in the spring when the winters come off. My current (factory) tires are just about shot.

jta

TAF
01-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Fine choice there Javier (of course I mean you and Myra's fine choice of raising your son properly :D ). You're going to LOVE these tires. I think they are the quintessential tire for the Marauder that wants to do more than 1320 ft in a straight line.

Now...for the FULL affect...get those fronts and you'll grip the dry road like never before, and in the rain...fagetaboutit....these things won't hydroplane if you try. They are phenomenal all around! Congrats! :up:

MENINBLK
02-14-2005, 11:21 PM
What's funny, is that I just visited BFG's website and did a search for tires for the Marauder.
Web site said that they don't make any tires for our wheel size;
"Your vehicle: 2003 MERCURY Marauder Standard Rear
Your vehicle's original equipment tire size: 245/55ZR18 103W.
We're sorry. There are no original equipment tire matches for your vehicle. But we did find alternate sizes. These tires could enhance the performance and look of your vehicle, but you may need to purchase new wheels."
Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Did you get this from the BFGoodrich site or the MICHELIN site ???
I recognize this as the exact wording I got from the Michelin site...

Smokie
02-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Did you get this from the BFGoodrich site or the MICHELIN site ???
I recognize this as the exact wording I got from the Michelin site...My son is a wrench at a local dealer, so he ordered for me direct from B.F.

tmac1337
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
What is the top speed rating on these tires?

TAF
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
What is the top speed rating on these tires?The fronts are "Y" rated
The rears are "V" rated

Go HERE (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakdw.jsp) and click on "Sizes & Specs"

tmac1337
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
The fronts are "Y" rated
The rears are "V" rated

Go HERE (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakdw.jsp) and click on "Sizes & Specs"

Thanks TAF, definitely on my list of tires when my first set goes. These would go nice with the Kezera wider rims.

Mel Harden
11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
What is the brand name for the kdw2 255/55/18, i can't find them anywhere?

jdando
11-25-2007, 04:05 PM
BF Goodrich

Blackmobile
11-25-2007, 06:10 PM
BF Goodrich

What is the brand name for the kdw2 255/55/18, i can't find them anywhere?

You do know that these tires have been discontinued in that size!

CRUZTAKER
11-25-2007, 06:12 PM
They're discontinued, don't waste your time.

Try searching "tires". ;)

Boy...that's the understatement of what has changed since this thread started...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/2/6/deadthreads.jpg

ahess77
11-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Now...for the FULL affect...get those fronts and you'll grip the dry road like never before, and in the rain...fagetaboutit....these things won't hydroplane if you try. They are phenomenal all around! Congrats! :up:

I disagree with the hydroplaning, I've got the KDW2 255/55/18 rear and 235/50/18 front and at 65mph I punched it to get around a semi on I80 in Illinois last Wednesday and the rear end came loose. It was very light rain and wet road, temp was about 35F. I was glad I kept it in my lane, but dissapointed that my NON SC car broke the tires loose at 65mph. There was not standing water on the road. Maybe it was just the cold temperatures.

My experience is that these tires also make more road noise than the stock KDW, but they do stick MUCH better than the stock KDW in most situations. I'm glad I have one new set of 255/55/18 in my barn, too bad they're out of production.

Krytin
11-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I disagree with the hydroplaning, I've got the KDW2 255/55/18 rear and 235/50/18 front and at 65mph I punched it to get around a semi on I80 in Illinois last Wednesday and the rear end came loose. It was very light rain and wet road, temp was about 35F. I was glad I kept it in my lane, but dissapointed that my NON SC car broke the tires loose at 65mph. There was not standing water on the road. Maybe it was just the cold temperatures.

My experience is that these tires also make more road noise than the stock KDW, but they do stick MUCH better than the stock KDW in most situations. I'm glad I have one new set of 255/55/18 in my barn, too bad they're out of production.

Temp. could be a real problem for these tires - I believe that 40 degrees F is the lowest they are rated for being that they are summer preformance tires
That said, I ran my KDW-2's up to Genesseo, NY two weeks ago through some sub freezing temps and even a little snow! Did not have a problem but I wasn't really pushing it except in Elmira on 17 - the NY State police in that neck of the woods aren't impressed w/SCPD PBA cards!