PDA

View Full Version : Other header options besides Kooks?

Phil @ FLP
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Are there any other header options for these cars besides Kooks?

SergntMac
01-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Hooker did some test fits on my MM back in 2002. I'm sure the specs are around somewhere, but nothing ever hit the market.

Petrograde
01-17-2005, 11:54 AM
You planning something Phil?

BTW- Happy Birthday!

Phil @ FLP
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
You planning something Phil?

BTW- Happy Birthday!
Well we could make our own as we used to make LT1 and LS1 Fbody, C5, and Impala SS headers but unfortunatly the demand I dont think meets the price that would be required. Just trying to see if there are any other options as having only one header option for a car seems silly to me.

BillyGman
01-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Well we could make our own as we used to make LT1 and LS1 Fbody, C5, and Impala SS headers but unfortunatly the demand I dont think meets the price that would be required. Just trying to see if there are any other options as having only one header option for a car seems silly to me.
I think that's because most aftermarket companies look at Marauder owners as small potatoes since there weren't many Marauders produced as compared to Mustangs, Cobras, or Camaros and Vettes. And since the production of Marauders merely lasted 2 years, I don't see that changing either. that's why our hats should be off to companies like Kooks, Trilogy, Precision Industries, and the likje for stepping up to the plate to offer hi-perf products for us Marauder owners.

I spoke with the Hooker company myself over the telephone and asked if they have anything for us, and their answer was a plain and simple "NO". I also requested that they make a header for us, and they said that they had no plans of doing so. So their lack of interst in us as a consumer group was obvious.

TAF
01-17-2005, 03:02 PM
SVO Shorty headers are an option, and quite a good option I might add. Just ask Smokie (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=248) or Donny Carlson (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=1136) ....

GodOSpeed
01-17-2005, 03:06 PM
There are other options out there but 500$+ for a set of hedders is what is most silliest to me. When you drive a high $ car which has a limited build you can only expect to pay 2 & 3x the amount for performance. :mad2:

BillyGman
01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
SVO Shorty headers are an option, and quite a good option I might add. Just ask Smokie (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=248) or Donny Carlson (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=1136) ....
TAF is correct on that provided you want "shorty" or "block hugger" headers. But if you're looking for standard Long-tube headers like the ones that Hooker and other header companies do most of thier sales with, then Kooks headers are the only option for Marauders. I have them, and I'm very pleased with them. They have a 1 5/8" primary tube diameter and a 2.5" collector diameter which I think is perfect for a small V8 engine like the Marauder has. If you go any bigger than that with the primary tube diameter, then you run the risk of sacrificing some low-end torque with a 281 cubic inch engine like that of the Marauder.

Smokie
01-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Todd is correct, as a matter of fact the reason I have the SVO Shorties is thanks to him. What Billy said is also quite true, if you loose too much back pressure you will loose some torque.

With the shorties I had the single largest gain in torque and hp of any single mod I did to my car.

rayjay
01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Todd is correct, as a matter of fact the reason I have the SVO Shorties is thanks to him. What Billy said is also quite true, if you loose too much back pressure you will loose some torque.

With the shorties I had the single largest gain in torque and hp of any single mod I did to my car.
Whats involved with making them "fit".

RAUDER
01-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Smokie,

Which shorty headers are you using? Are they Ford racing....part#.....

Thanks
Sam

sailsmen
01-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Not a header but I am happy with the Reinhart Cobra Exht MFG. They will probably out last the car which is important since I drve her 20K per year. :D

Glenn
01-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Whatever you want to call them the Ford Racing part number is M-9430-E465 for the ceramic coated "Cobra" shorty header (page 92, 2005 Performance Parts). The header also bolts up to the Cobra X-pipe with hi-flow CATS From Magaflow - #93335. A very good reasonably priced combination. A good fit between the Kook's and OEM.

Glenn

Smokie
01-18-2005, 05:21 AM
Smokie,

Which shorty headers are you using? Are they Ford racing....part#.....

Thanks
SamThe Ford SVO Shorties do require for you to shim the left side engine mount so you can clear the steering shaft, I have a complete exhaust system, shorties, hi-flow cats, x-pipe- 18" stainles steel Magnaflows all 2 1/2" tubing. Totally transformed my car, great low end torque. Here is link:CLICK (http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/fmm9430d464.html)

PS: Mine are ceramic coated.

AzMarauder
01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Whatever you want to call them the Ford Racing part number is M-9430-E465 for the ceramic coated "Cobra" shorty header (page 92, 2005 Performance Parts). The header also bolts up to the Cobra X-pipe with hi-flow CATS From Magaflow - #93335. A very good reasonably priced combination. A good fit between the Kook's and OEM.

Glenn
Glenn,

Will these headers bolt up to the factory MM H-pipe?

How much trouble are they to put in the car?

Tks

Kevin

Glenn
01-26-2005, 09:34 PM
The Cobra shorty headers will only bolt up to the Cobra X-pipe which must be lengthened by 4" inches to accomodate the longer MM wheelbase. It is a job for a quality muffler shop not a home garage job.

Glenn

drobin
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Installed my complete DR Shorty Kit in my garage without any difficulties. Everthing fit perfectly and was very pleased with the increased performance..

Drobin
"Donald"

NAVCHAP
02-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Very happy with my shorties and DR exhaust, have put about 20k mi on DR #1 with no significant problems. -kjs-

rayjay
02-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Installed my complete DR Shorty Kit in my garage without any difficulties. Everthing fit perfectly and was very pleased with the increased performance..

Drobin
"Donald"
Can I assume you did not have a lift or air tools?

drobin
02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
No lift, air tools not needed but I did use an electric Sawsall...

"drobin"
Donald

WantOneSoBad
02-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Has there been any side by side comparison of the headers available? I'm just wondering which headers would free up the most horsepower and torque if you just changed the headers and left the rest of the exhaust alone, there has to be one thats better than the others.