PDA

View Full Version : First alignment, 18k miles, balding tires

BCKNBLK
01-20-2005, 02:09 PM
OK, I can't procrastinate anymore, going to dealership for alignment tomorrow morning. Afraid front tires are going to blow anyday with the way the wear has been going on the insides.

Am I able to turn the tires around on the front or are they supposed to be directional tread?

Was there ever any final word on that pop from the right rear when taking a right turn incline? ( I've seen posts saying bushing in upper shock mount not centered?)

TheFlatlander
01-20-2005, 02:18 PM
OK, I can't procrastinate anymore, going to dealership for alignment tomorrow morning. Afraid front tires are going to blow anyday with the way the wear has been going on the insides.

Am I able to turn the tires around on the front or are they supposed to be directional tread?

Was there ever any final word on that pop from the right rear when taking a right turn incline? ( I've seen posts saying bushing in upper shock mount not centered?)
Rotating side to side won't help if both inners are wearing. You can't dismount and remount either. The stock tires are designed to have one side of the tire to the out side. You will see that the tread differs from one side to the other and will find one sidewall marked "This Side Out"

Tallboy
01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Also, make sure they have the "Marauder" alignment head adaptors that clamp on to outside of the tire instead of grabbing your rim...

Paul T. Casey
01-20-2005, 02:49 PM
18K needs alignment. My first set of tires started to go bad around then (noticeable wear on insides of fronts). I went to 30K, cords were showing. Since the alignment, I haven't had any problems. I wonder if the tires are better, or if there was an alignment issue with our early 300A's? I went about 46K on the second set, they were wearing on the insides, but not like the first time. BTW, I'll be heading to Huntsville on January 28 or 29, depending on weather. Maybe we can do somme hockey? I'm having terrible withdrawals this year.

MARAUDERCHICK
01-20-2005, 02:57 PM
18K needs alignment. My first set of tires started to go bad around then (noticeable wear on insides of fronts). I went to 30K, cords were showing. Since the alignment, I haven't had any problems. I wonder if the tires are better, or if there was an alignment issue with our early 300A's? I went about 46K on the second set, they were wearing on the insides, but not like the first time. BTW, I'll be heading to Huntsville on January 28 or 29, depending on weather. Maybe we can do somme hockey? I'm having terrible withdrawals this year.
Same here! I replaced my first set of tires at 18K!! But, like you said, after the alignment.....much better!

MarauderMark
01-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Took mine to the dealer for the same thing at about 18k.but it had to many miles for the dealer to do an alignment under warranty..Bought a new set of tires and had it aligned.so far so good

:::Advice to those under 12k ::::Look at your front tires and check for alignment while you can Cause after 12k the dealer won't cover it..

dwasson
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I wonder if the tires are better, or if there was an alignment issue with our early 300A's?

A lot of us have replaced front tires early because of heavy wear on the inside. I think that most us believe that our cars were misaligned on delivery.

Bigdogjim
01-20-2005, 06:47 PM
22,000 miles on an early '03 (Aug'02 build)

Just a very liile wear on the inside:)

BCKNBLK
01-21-2005, 10:00 AM

Well I just got back from dealer 10:30am, went to Athens dealer instead of local dealer, Athens dealer very nice, said I could look under car, watch from window in waiting room, just very very hospitable, even knew we had different size tires. I tried to express my fears and concerns about wheel adapter and scratches, wasn't totally convinced with his answers but he assured no scratches. Let them take my car, later I take a peek at rear wheel and there are metal clamps and scratches. But I have learned since my only other dealer visit at the local dealer when they put in 7 qts oil instead of 6 experience. I wasn't going to get mad or cuss or shout.

Calmly told the advisor that he made my worst fears come true. He goes looks, talks to the tech, comes back with the keys and says no charge for the alignment and he will call me when the new wheels arrive. Been an emotional morning. All I can do now is wait for the call and hope they don't disavow my existence. Anyway, just a another experience with a well known problem that this board has beat to death already.

May go ahead and get new tires when the wheels are replaced, would rather not wait for cords to show.

I wonder what they will say after the wheel replacement when I ask if they want to align it again.

It don't look good for hockey that weekend Paul, minor league Havoc are out of town, UAH has no games, and I'm taking my bantam to Biloxi/Gulfport for 2 division games.

blown & bad
01-28-2005, 04:01 PM
:burnout: :burnout:

I took my MM to my dealer w/17k on the car with the same problem.They had to set my car up out of spec to prevent inside wear !!! It was measuring within acceptable specs on their machine,even though the tires were wearing. I bought two new tires,and had it aligned.So far so GOOD !!!
Blown & Bad
300a mm
Trilogy Blower
Custom Cut rotors
X-pipe
Flowmaster Dyna-flow 50's
Nittos
Fastest 1/4 to date 12:54
Fastest top-end 172 MPH
(State Trooper measured)
...I had slowed down !!!!

Petrograde
01-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Same here! I replaced my first set of tires at 18K!! But, like you said, after the alignment.....much better!

..same here too,.. right at 18K. No probs since the alignment and the new tires are wearing fine,.. except my rear tires seam to be losing a lot of tread :confused: :P

BCKNBLK
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, never too old to keep learning from my mistakes. Couldn't wait longer than 10 days to call the dealer back, so called today, and started getting the runaround. Bolted from work and went out to try to find someone in charge to talk to in person.
1 below the owner listened to my story, then dumped me to the service manager who had only been there a week. now they say leave them the car and take a loaner and we will repair the wheels. I said no. Service manager said I was too upset and crazy for demanding the replacement wheels that were promised to me by the service advisor. Now he is supposed to talk to the owner who wasn't in at the time and call me back before 5. I do not want to let them try to repair the wheels. I believe I will just accept a $500 lesson and let comprehensive buy the wheels. At least I won $50 in Biloxi this weekend.

He just called back and said after talking to the owner, leave the car in my garage and bring them a wheel and it will take 3 days for their vendor to evaluate and repair, then see if I'm happy. I said no, will just accept my $500 lesson. Thanks anyway.

Then he calls right back and says they will pay my deductible. I said claim process hasn't been initiated yet, so cannot accept or decline.

Are there OEM wheels in stock anywhere in this country?

jparrie
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
What is the $500.00 lesson? I can't recall for sure, but I believe the wheels are more than $500.00. Did they not scratch all of them?

Well, never too old to keep learning from my mistakes. Couldn't wait longer than 10 days to call the dealer back, so called today, and started getting the runaround. Bolted from work and went out to try to find someone in charge to talk to in person.
1 below the owner listened to my story, then dumped me to the service manager who had only been there a week. now they say leave them the car and take a loaner and we will repair the wheels. I said no. Service manager said I was too upset and crazy for demanding the replacement wheels that were promised to me by the service advisor. Now he is supposed to talk to the owner who wasn't in at the time and call me back before 5. I do not want to let them try to repair the wheels. I believe I will just accept a $500 lesson and let comprehensive buy the wheels. At least I won $50 in Biloxi this weekend.

He just called back and said after talking to the owner, leave the car in my garage and bring them a wheel and it will take 3 days for their vendor to evaluate and repair, then see if I'm happy. I said no, will just accept my $500 lesson. Thanks anyway.

Then he calls right back and says they will pay my deductible. I said claim process hasn't been initiated yet, so cannot accept or decline.

Are there OEM wheels in stock anywhere in this country?

BCKNBLK
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
What is the $500.00 lesson? I can't recall for sure, but I believe the wheels are more than $500.00. Did they not scratch all of them?

Insurance deductible, although claim has not been approved yet. Wheels were $425.89 apiece when I called local dealer parts department, but $586 when they made me go to body shop dept for written estimate.

WantOneSoBad
02-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Why don't you just ask for the service manager that you delt with in the first place and talk with him and the owner at the same time. I'm pretty sure you can work that out, if you have money to burn like that then help me make a down payment on a MM.:)

sailsmen
02-05-2005, 07:55 AM
There is a National Wheel refinishing group that charges a flat $100 per wheel and they guarrantee like new. You can even have the inside clear coated to make cleaning easier.

SGTMAC did a write up on them.

MM2004
02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
OK, I am a little confused. Even though I have only 3,500 mi. on my MM, this day will be coming. Are the below specs. where I need to be??

Caster: LH 5.5 dgrs +/- .75; RH 5.5 dgrs +/- .75; Total 0 +/- .75
Camber: LH -0.7 dgrs +/- .75; RH -.07 dgrs +/- .75; total 0 +/- .75
Toe @ curb ride height: LH ---; RH ---; Total -0.12 +/- 0.25
My alignment guy uses the same method for passenger cars as aligning class 8 (semi) trucks (manual, non laser). Does he need special equipment on the wheel attachment to prevent damage to my rims?

Once I need new tires, do most places have the equipment to prevent damage to the rims during the tire R&R/Balance? I have been going to Big O Tires for years.

Thanks,
Mike.