PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre Help

DL04
01-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Looking for a little input on a HT system.I'll be starting from scratch since all I have now is a Hitachi Ultravision 53" tv.I was trying to keep it @ 1k but it's not working out.Heres a short list of some of the components I'm thinking about:Receiver- Onkyo TX-lr552 or sr502 or Denon avr7853 @$300-350...Powerd Sub-Infinity ps10,10"-250w @$275 or Sony 10" 250w $190..center speaker Polk CSi3 or Cs1@ $200 or Infinity Beta? c250 $225.. 2 front and 2 rear speakers Polk Monitor 30's $100 ea..also a dvd player in the near future I can use the pos I have for now.I know nothing about home theatre systems -I've been reading up a little on the forums,most of it is way over my head ,any suggestions are appreciated.Originally I was looking at getting Bose but the guys on the forums say its junk for what they charge.

MainEngDwarf
01-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I highly recommend the Onkyo receivers, I have a 9000(I think, I'll have to look when i get home) and highly recommend the brand.

JFB
01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Keep your speakers all one brand!

Looking for a little input on a HT system.I'll be starting from scratch since all I have now is a Hitachi Ultravision 53" tv.I was trying to keep it @ 1k but it's not working out.Heres a short list of some of the components I'm thinking about:Receiver- Onkyo TX-lr552 or sr502 or Denon avr7853 @$300-350...Powerd Sub-Infinity ps10,10"-250w @$275 or Sony 10" 250w $190..center speaker Polk CSi3 or Cs1@ $200 or Infinity Beta? c250 $225.. 2 front and 2 rear speakers Polk Monitor 30's $100 ea..also a dvd player in the near future I can use the pos I have for now.I know nothing about home theatre systems -I've been reading up a little on the forums,most of it is way over my head ,any suggestions are appreciated.Originally I was looking at getting Bose but the guys on the forums say its junk for what they charge.

Krytin
01-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Dennis,
I've got a Sony receiver, 12" powered sub, center & rear speakers. If you want to listen to & see the set up, PM me to set up a meet @ my house!
Paul

duhtroll
01-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Check out Yamaha receivers. They have had units among the tops in performance the past few years. Mine is two years old now so I have not shopped for these for a while, but don't pass them over before you make a decision.

-A

ckadiddle
01-24-2005, 10:03 AM
None of my stuff is high end, I am not in the income bracket for it. In the last year I have replaced most of my ancient (twenty year old) electronics with newer equipment. My A/V receiver/amp thingie is Panasonic, was last year's model on close-out, around 200ish I think. My suggestion is not to purchase anything with less than 100 watts per channel output to all channels. Make darn sure the receiver has several digital (fiber optic) input and output jacks on it. I already had two bookshelf sized Infinity speakers, probably five years old that are rated at 80 watts per channel - these make great rear channel speakers. I think I paid about eighty bucks each back then. The front left and right channels are new Infinity speakers, tall skinny ones. I think I got the pair for about two fifty. Pay special attention to your decision of the center channel speaker, it is about the most impotrant part of your system. We listened to about ten different brands and price ranges. Ended up with Infinity again. It sounded better to us, watching the same movie scene with each different speaker, than Klipsch, Bose and other more expensive brands. Go figure. I think the cost was a close to two hundred. Ended up purchasing a 120 watt KLH subwoofer, it was on sale for a little over a hundred. All together, the surround sound and subwoofer effects watching a movie with lots of shooting of s**t and blowing up of s**t are absolutely awesome. If you experiment some with subwoofer placement you can enhance or diminish it's effect depending oyn your desires.

If you have a small place, you can buy one of those "home theater in a box" setups. It is alwasy going to cost more to buy and assemble pieces. One of my coworkers set up a Sony kit in his small living room, it sounds great for the small space. I am fortunate enough to have a HUGE family room. The most expensive equipment replacement was the new TV. Bought a behemoth Samsung 65 inch rear projection!!

Waht do we do with all this cool stuff ? We watch DVDs together, the wife practices her karaoke. We both listen to music CDs. I like to listen loudly, heh heh. I have added a Nintendo Gamecube, Microsoft Xbox, and Sony Playstation2. :arcade: Some of the video games support 5.1 surround sound - that really gets awesome. Playing games on a humongous screen with five hundred watts of surround sound can be addictive. :D Wish there was a game with a Marauder in it. <sigh>:(

In closing, go shoppng with an open mind and ears. don't fixate on any brand names. Make the sales dude/dudette switch speakers for you while you have your eyes closed. Buy what sounds best to you and is within your budget. I never thought I could afford anything that sounds so darned good, but it all came together. It was by pure coincidence that most of the speakers we purchased ended up being the same brand. Check several stores- Best Buy, Circuit City, any other local place you have available.

Any questions, just ask... I am not an expert, but I managed to hook all this stuff together and make work... requires extreme remote control dexterity though... I admit, I did have to write up a cheat sheet to use for a while. :rolleyes:

Bluerauder
01-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally I was looking at getting Bose but the guys on the forums say its junk for what they charge.
I have the Bose Lifestyle 28 theater system and I am very happy with it. Excellent sound and range and programmable to 6 different seating locations using their set-up software. Pretty cool ........ :D

03whitemach
01-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Check out Yamaha receivers. They have had units among the tops in performance the past few years. Mine is two years old now so I have not shopped for these for a while, but don't pass them over before you make a decision.

-A
I agree. I have a Yamaha receiver, but I have the Bose accoustimas speaker system. I also have a Sony 10" Sub. Now until last year all of my stuff I bought used. The Bose, I paid $375, fronts, center, surrounds and sub. I sold my Technics receiver and bought my Yamaha. My neighbors can listen to my movie if I turned it half way up. Good luck and do some research..

duhtroll
01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Perfect! That's exactly what I bought a couple years ago. Acoustimass speakers and Yamaha 600W receiver 5.1 w/available rear center speaker. I just never got around to adding that one.

Love the sound.

-A

MSR7878
01-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I have an Onkyo reciever/DVD changer combo. I love the reciever, however the DVD changer is very "moody" sometimes it tells me my disc is the wrong region, or worse it won't open! Just my .02

Dr Caleb
01-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally I was looking at getting Bose but the guys on the forums say its junk for what they charge.

Don't believe them. Bose has had an excellent reputation in audio for many years. Like others here, I have Bose 507 front, Bose 503 rear and a Bose 20" subwoofer. At 150W output on the reciever, at half volume It'll roll back your foreskin. ;)

No distortion, ever. Bose rocks.

Bluerauder
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
At 150W output on the reciever, at half volume It'll roll back your foreskin. ;)
I agree that Bose is excellent. However, I have never tested it to the ^^^^ level. Nor do I think I want to try. :rofl: 55 will do it for me. :D

Mike Poore
01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Dennis,
I've got a Sony receiver, 12" powered sub, center & rear speakers. If you want to listen to & see the set up, PM me to set up a meet @ my house!
Paul
Hey Paul! Can I come over also? Got any good Scotch? :D

Sorry I can't add anything to the speaker/component discussion. I get the 9yr old, down the street to program my VCR.;)

Dave Compson
01-24-2005, 02:52 PM
I just bought a yamaha reciever, and the bose acoustimass 10 system. Man, i love it. I picked up four stands and love the way it all sounds. I am really happy with it. I would do it again.

Dave

Krytin
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey Paul! Can I come over also? Got any good Scotch? :D

Sorry I can't add anything to the speaker/component discussion. I get the 9yr old, down the street to program my VCR.;)
I'm think I have some single malt & I know I have some Crown Royal!

duhtroll
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Rent Top Gun.

Opening credits. Plane taking off. At about -10dB or higher. Hope your house's foundation is secure.

There are tons more. Like the "Bridge of Khazad-Dum" scene on LotR Fellowship.

EVERY time I bring someone down to the family room for the first time, I get this "how the hell can you justify $3500 for a TV system?"

Then I play that scene. They sit, agape, for about 12 minutes (not really sure how long it is because I am doing the same thing).

After the scene is over, they all say something to the effect of "OK, I understand now. I get it. Wow." EVEN my technophobe 70 year old stepdad who is the ultimate country boy thought it might be worth investing in a system.

Then most of them go out and buy flat screen / decent sound systems. I have "corrupted" at least 14 family members this way.

-A

Bluerauder
01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Rent Top Gun.

Opening credits. Plane taking off. At about -10dB or higher. Hope your house's foundation is secure.

Great scene ............ :2thumbs: and I love the "Danger Zone" track.

One that I like to play is the extended battle scene from "We Were Soldiers" ... the surround sound puts you in the middle of the action. I have had folks ducking bullets whizzing by, searching for mortar rounds flying overhead and landing nearby, and looking for helicopters coming in from behind the couch. Incredible sensation ........... :D

woaface
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Second on the Onkyo recievers.

Check out www.definitivetech.com (http://www.definitivetech.com) Best subs ever for the price!

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/subwoofers/subwoofers.html

DL04
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Second on the Onkyo recievers.

Check out www.definitivetech.com (http://www.definitivetech.com) Best subs ever for the price!

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/subwoofers/subwoofers.html
Looks like I'd have to spend my whole budget on just the sub! I'm sure they sound great.

Mike Poore
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm think I have some single malt & I know I have some Crown Royal!
Yeh! Single malt! Be right over.:woohoo:

fastblackmerc
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Great scene ............ :2thumbs: and I love the "Danger Zone" track.

One that I like to play is the extended battle scene from "We Were Soldiers" ... the surround sound puts you in the middle of the action. I have had folks ducking bullets whizzing by, searching for mortar rounds flying overhead and landing nearby, and looking for helicopters coming in from behind the couch. Incredible sensation ........... :D
Try making the water in a glass move when the T-Rex walks around... just like the scene in the 1st Jurassic Park movie when the kids are in the car and the water glass is on the dash.... I can do that with mine...

woaface
01-24-2005, 07:31 PM
Nah..depends on the one you buy...I got one over the border in North Carolina and was 15% off for a special-order and I didn't have to pay sales tax because it shipped from somewhere else to my house.

$450 for a 12' 250wattRMS 500watt peak.

And that's their third largest subwoofer. They've got a 10 and an 8 inch below that I believe.

Looks like I'd have to spend my whole budget on just the sub! I'm sure they sound great.

woaface
01-24-2005, 07:35 PM
For the best help though, check out Sound and Vision and Home Theater Magazine. Great stuff, get it at the grocery or such! I've got a subscription to HT mag.

www.hometheatermag.com (http://www.hometheatermag.com)

DL04
01-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys- looks like I'll be getting the pioneer 1014 and JBL,Infinity or Polk speakers,haven't decided on a sub yet. I'm going to take Paul up on his offer to Demo his HT one day next week,so my decision is not set in stone just yet but from what I've been reading on HT forums Bose is definetly out.

Krytin
01-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys- looks like I'll be getting the pioneer 1014 and JBL,Infinity or Polk speakers,haven't decided on a sub yet. I'm going to take Paul up on his offer to Demo his HT one day next week,so my decision is not set in stone just yet but from what I've been reading on HT forums Bose is definetly out.
You'll like the sub I have. It shakes the house & everything in it!

CRUZTAKER
01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
I like the Bose as well. Junk? I think that's advice coming from folks with shallow wallets and deep envy.

I have the Acoustimass 15 setup with an extra 200w Kenwood 15" sub. The cube speakers are small and easilily stashed on stands or ceiling hangers. I have yet been able to over power them with standard recievers on the market. They are the best sound rendering speakers I have ever owned. And I have owned many in the past from Cerwin Vega, JBL, and Boston Acoustics.

A/V recievers are abundant, and choice is definately up to the buyer. If you have the cash, and want to be ready for the future, buy top end 7.1 recievers from Onkyo, Sony, or McIntosh.
I personally have enjoyed the performance and cost effectiveness of Pioneer A/V recievers. All Pioneer come standard with one or two fiber optical audio inputs, and a multitude of internal audio decoders al the way up to DTS 7.1. However at this time, the majority of the media produced in Hollywood is still 5.1 channel.

Buy a DVD player that works with the TV you already have or intend to buy. A nice 480-i player with component video outputs and opti- audio cost very little these days and play/decode a large number of video formats. The next step up is a player with DTR video outputs that will render 1080-i high res video, but the TV must have DTR inputs to achieve this. Most high end TV's will show 480-i with their component inputs. I recently came into the 21st century and upgraded BOTH my DVD players to DVD/RECORDERS. The choices are abundant, but after a ton of research on message boards, I went with the Pioneer 520h (w/80gb HD) AND A 320h. It is very important to find the one that does the right media for where we are at, technology wise. These players do -R and -RW that once finalized, are compatible on every other player and pc out there. +R and +RW is going along the wayside like BETA-MAX did. -RAM, although powerfull in editing, is expensive, and won't play on many other recorders. As of now, the Pioneer 520h/320 are the only player/recorders that do both -R AND -RW formats. The beauty part, I pitched my VHS recorders!!! My recordings look even better than they did when they ORIGINALLY aired.

As far as TV, if in your budget, a nice LCD tv will have all the latest video inputs and incredible resolution. I stay away from plasma, as their failure rate is still becoming apparent. I could not afford this type of tv, so I went with a 60" rear projection 1080-i Mitsubishi. Unfortunately, it doesn't have DTR inputs so I am stuck with 480-i rendering from my DVD's. Still looks good, but no where near 1080-i high definition. I also have a 32" Sony WEGA. Hands down the WEGA is one of the best table top sets out there in any configuration. It has a sharper image than my big screen and is border line plasma quality. If the WEGA is in your budget, which the monitor SHOULD be your biggest spend....BUY ONE!!!

Basically, budget accordingly, and start with the biggest item first, the Monitor. Don't skimp, you'll be sorry later. Make sure it has ALL the latest video inputs and decoders.

Good luck!

BruteForce
01-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Junk? I think that's advice coming from folks with shallow wallets and deep envy.

Speakers are an entirely subjective choice. What sounds like :censor: to one sounds like :lovies2: to another.

I haven't considered Bose since they stopped making the big corner horns. With over 18K invested in my HT, I think I can safely say it isn't due to lack of pocket content or envy.

woaface
01-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah, buying speakers is based on what YOU hear because each ear is different and all, but as far as I can hear...

No highs, no mids, all lows...must be Bose.

BruteForce
01-29-2005, 04:00 PM

:D :beer: :stupid: :rofl: :shot: :2thumbs:

Krytin
01-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah, buying speakers is based on what YOU hear because each ear is different and all, but as far as I can hear...

I noticed that Bose will not list freq response specs on any of there speakers/equipment. Some of their old "big" speakers sounded nice in a big room, but the new stuff is anything from ok to crap. The Wave radio is junk!

jerrym3
01-31-2005, 07:55 AM
I don't have a very high end system. I already have tinnitus (since Feb 9, 2000), and I don't need it to get any worse.

But, I have gotten in the habit of buying JVC equipment mainly for their "Compulink" feature.

I have a JVC 35' TV (darn thing just will not die after many years), a JVC VCR, JVC DVD player, and a JVC 5.1 audio system with DTS.

I like the idea, for example, of simply loading a DVD, hitting "play", and watching the TV and the tuner start up automatically and to the correct setting.

Unfortunately, there are even different versions of Compulink, so if you're adding new JVC equipment to an older JVC set up, everything may not work together as planned.

MENINBLK
03-14-2005, 11:21 PM
I put my system together Christmas 2002, and I've been loving every moment of it.
I have a 32" Sony Wega TV, a Pioneer VSX-D709S Receiver, Toshiba SD9200 DVD A/V player,
Panasonic PV-VS4820 SVHS, Microsoft XBOX, and Cambridge SoundWorks MovieWorks 5.1 speaker system,
with a Bass Cube 12, and the Center Stage center speaker upgrade.

Listening to Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, in Balin's Tomb, when they fight against
the orcs and the Cave Troll, the sound is nothing short of phenominal.
When the Cave Troll enters from the rear, and starts swinging his chains all around the room,
you can hear the chains whip the walls, and feel the THUD of his mallet.
The entire scene gives me goose bumps...

MENINBLK
03-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Now my PORTABLE system is a NEC MultiSync LCD 2010X, Intel P4 3.20E GHz w/2GB of PC3200 DDR RAM,
ATI 256MB 9800 PRO, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum PRO, Creative 16X DVD-ROM,
and Cambridge SoundWorks Gigaworks S750 speakers.

This makes a THX Certified, 7.1, 700 WATT, furniture movin', Entertainment system !!! :eek: