PDA

View Full Version : What metal is our exhaust mufflers made of?

ultravorx
01-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering what materials our mufflers were made of. This is for a little research project im doing. Is it stainless steel or aluminum, or posssibly another metal im unaware of? Any info on this would be great.
Frank

gdmjoe
01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
ultravorx - Hey guys, i was wondering what materials our mufflers were made of. This is for a little research project im doing. Is it stainless steel or aluminum, or posssibly another metal im unaware of? Any info on this would be great.
Stainless steel ( including pipes ).

mcb26
01-24-2005, 02:54 PM
The kind that goes DING when you cut the motor off

BillyGman
01-24-2005, 03:52 PM
The kind that goes DING when you cut the motor off
That's for sure!!!!

QWK SVT
01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
That's for sure!!!!
Is that what it is? I just heard it for the first time, the other night...

Last night, I parked the car in the garage. I exited, closed the insulated garage door, and lit a cigarette (I NEVER smoke in the car). From the outside I heard a loud DING... I mean church-bell loud! :eek:

It startled me, as it was rather late, and the neighborhood was quiet. I opened the garage door, to hear it again, and could tell it was coming from under the rear, but didn't hear it again, and could track down from where.

So, what causes this??? :confused:

gdmjoe
01-24-2005, 08:17 PM
QWK SVT ... So, what causes this???
Expansion / contraction of the cat' and muffler internals during initial cool-down.

wsmylie
01-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Know what you mean about the "ding" sound coming from exhaust system after shut down. Sometimes my car sounds like I ran over a xylophone.

BillyGman
01-24-2005, 11:00 PM
It sounds like itcomes from the exhaust tips, and they're thefirst to begin cooling down since they're at the back of the exhaust system and don't get as hot as the rest of the exhaust anyway. They begin to cool down immediately since they're well away from the engine heat.

it's actually your Marauder rebelling that you've taken her off the road and shut her down.....she wants to be out there Marauding. :banana2:

TheFlatlander
01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
A good loud "dinging noise" when you shut down means you had some fun getting there. Its you cars way of saying Thanks and telling you how much you are appreciated!

LordVader
01-25-2005, 10:12 AM
:beatnik: Yea...the "ding" is good. I agree that's the old girl's way of saying she had a good time and is saying "have a great day"! The first time I heard the load levelers now that was something else.

Fourth Horseman
01-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I haven't heard much of this, myself. I certainly run the car hard from time to time, but I usually try to cool her down by driving the last mile or two to home in a more relaxed fashion. I wonder if that's why I haven't heard the loud pings?

Bluerauder
01-25-2005, 12:12 PM
A good loud "ding noise" whenn you shut down means you had some fun getting there.
Mine must be having lotsa fun 'cause she'll Piiiiing and Diiing for nearly 15 minutes having those contractions. :lol:

wchain
01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering what materials our mufflers were made of. This is for a little research project im doing. Is it stainless steel or aluminum, or posssibly another metal im unaware of? Any info on this would be great.
Frank

Faurecia is the OEM exhaust supplier on the MM. All other Panthers get their exhaust sourced from Arvin Meritor.