PDA

View Full Version : What do you clean your wheels with?

MMpridenjoy
02-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Looking for some feedback from members on which wheel cleaner people are using if any?

TAF
02-11-2003, 07:58 AM
Eagle 1, wheel cleaner, also...I got a nifty, long brush from Pep Boys which gets all the way back in there. After they are clean, about once a month I use Zaino Z-2 polish lock since they are clear coated.

russ in VA
02-11-2003, 08:13 AM
To be as gentle as possible on the finish, I treat them just like the painted surfaces. However, you do not want to ever rub brake dust on your paint, it is very abrasive (that's why the car stops!). So what I do is, I have a separate bucket and sponge that I use exclusively on the wheels. After I wash the car, I pour the soapy water out of my car wash bucket into the wheel bucket and do the wheels from there. This way I don't use twice as much soap as I would if I made a separate batch for the wheels and I don't contaminate my wash bucket or rags with that super hard brake dust (it will scratch you paint if you get any on your car wash rag!)

My two cents.

SergntMac
02-11-2003, 08:25 AM
I've seen that happen at the hand wash, Russ, wiping down the fender, dip down to the wheel, and back up to the fender, and I raised holy hell with the manager. They use separate buckets and brushes now, at least when I'm in the house.

gonzo50
02-11-2003, 08:41 AM
I use Formula 2001 (foaming wheel cleaner), safe for all wheels, spray on, hose off, no rubbing. I make sure that the wheels are cool to the touch and hose them first with water than I use the wheel cleaner, I also use Westley's Bleche-White blackwall tire cleaner on the tire's. Wash them one at a time. Wipe them down with a Chamois. :cool:

RF Overlord
02-11-2003, 10:15 AM
gonzo:

Does the Bleche-White also make the tires shiny, like Armor-All? I like my tires clean and black, but not the "wet" look...I've used Mother's "Preserves" on the tires and I like it a lot, but it's hard to find around here...

jgc61sr2002
02-11-2003, 01:16 PM
RF I also use Westley's on the tires, It's a cleaner only. Then use Tire Wet which gives a lasting shine. John :)

martyo
02-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Ok, since you guys appear to be experts, which one of you guys is going to come clean my car?

looking97233
02-11-2003, 01:31 PM
The wheels are not clearcoated, just highly polished. I just use soap and water. Then buff them dry with a soft cloth. Small scratches can be taken out with Safe Cut.
I stay away from anthing containing wax or silicone, as it is bad for the tires.

RF Overlord
02-11-2003, 02:11 PM
jgcalphabetwhatevertoomanynumb ers:

thanks...

stanleyk:

no...

looking:

thanks...

Cooper
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MMpridenjoy
Looking for some feedback from members on which wheel cleaner people are using if any?

I just use dish washing liquid soap and a soft brush. I usually wash the car at least once a week, so the brake dust doesn't get much of a chance to build up on the wheels. I've also outfitted the car with 16" steelies and Michelin Pilot Alpins for the winter to protect the aluminum spoked wheels from the sand and salt.

chapel1
02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Stealth Vic awsome flag and it waves very nice.:coolman:

LincMercLover
02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I use a soft brush after I'm done with the car. When clean, I polish the rims with a polishing wad. This keeps the dirt/brake dust from sticking. The tires get cleaned with a brush also. Then I swipe 'em with Tire Wet.

Mark McQuaide
02-11-2003, 07:15 PM
I believe the wheels are clearcoated. Polished forged aluminum wouldn't stay shiny for long - we'd be out there every day with Mother's aluminum polish.

Cooper
02-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by chapel1
Stealth Vic awsome flag and it waves very nice.:coolman:

Thank you Chapel! (I actually wanted to use the medium size flag, but it was bigger than the 50 x 50 pixel maximum would allow). :alone:

TAF
02-11-2003, 09:00 PM
They are clearcoated...

barrytuneup
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I use turtle wax ice (the same bottle that goes on the paint.) The wheels are as shinn and protected as ever. I've been doing this for 3 years and after 4' of snow this winter (upstate NY), the wheels are as shiny as ever and look brand new. I also use it on the tires (originals) and they look great too. 04 mm birch 16k

fastblackmerc
03-08-2011, 09:17 PM
The MM wheels are clearcoated, just like the paint on the car.

Use whatever car wash you use on the rest of the car, separate bucket and wool car wash mitt.

Westly's Bleach White will clean the tires, follow up with a satin finish tire treament.

Use the same wax that you use on the rest of the car.