PDA

View Full Version : Can you clean the engine?

Digital Man
01-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I opened the hood the othher day to put in some washer fluid and noticed my nice shiny engine and hoses were dusty and covered in salt splashes. :hmmm:

Is there a way to safely clean all that stuff? I assume spraying in there with a hose is not such a good idea.

wchain
01-28-2005, 09:21 AM
I opened the hood the othher day to put in some washer fluid and noticed my nice shiny engine and hoses were dusty and covered in salt splashes. :hmmm:

Is there a way to safely clean all that stuff? I assume spraying in there with a hose is not such a good idea.

What do you think most used car dealers do? They wash the top part at least! :D
When my engine is cool, after I wash the car (before I dry) I Rinse the engine off with a mist of water and dry it off, then start it up and let it run to heat up.

Obviously, you dont want to spray the hell out of it, but a gentle rinse is ok. Your coils are covered by the plates, so all you need to watch are the electronics, make sure you dont soak em......

When its REAL dirty, I use Citrus Engine Brite. Makes it look bling bling...... :D

Bradley G
01-28-2005, 09:26 AM
I read that vinegar /white dissolves salt?? I know it won't damage anything.If you want to be real careful cover any electronics in plastic before spraying.

Bradley G

FordNut
01-28-2005, 09:36 AM
I just spray mine with the Hotsy. No problems if you're careful not to soak the areas around the coil covers.

Warpath
01-28-2005, 09:50 AM
I've read that you should protect all the electrical connectors by wrapping them in plastic if you are going to spray the engine. All I do is wipe down the engine compartment every few washes. I only drive it in good weather and not on dirt roads. So, it stays pretty clean as it is.

Bradley G
01-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Brian what is a Hotsy? steam cleaner/ power washer?

Bradley G

I just spray mine with the Hotsy. No problems if you're careful not to soak the areas around the coil covers.

wchain
01-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Brian what is a Hotsy? steam cleaner/ power washer?

Bradley G

Bee-Rad, G!~
Check it out.....
http://www.hotsy.com/

Paul T. Casey
01-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I've used Simple Green and copious ammounts of water on mine several times. On a cold engine, I spray the Simple Green everywhere in the engine compartment. Let it sit for 15ish minutes, then flush with the hose. I usually try to do this with the car on jackstands with the wheels off so I can get the underside, wheelwells, and frame/suspension members at the same time. I also remove the plastic cover from over the radiator prior to this. When it is dry, I wax anything painted, and apply protectant (Armor All, etc.) to all the plastic, naugahide(sic), and rubber, except the belts. This includes the inner fenders, up under the bumper cover, and the battery. Also at this time I clean the inside and backside (the non shiny part) of the wheels. After cleaning, I apply a good coat of wax to seal them and make "normal" cleaning easier. I try to wipe down the brake lines, springs, and other suspension parts as well, although I don't get as "anul" with these. I figure that I'm not only cleaning all the hard to get to places where mud and debris pile up and will form rust, but I'm also inspecting for abnormal wear and damage. It also gives me an excuse to rotate (side to side) the tires since they are off. I've never had any trouble with this method, although some care is needed with the hose. You know, don't try to fill the alternator, test the seals on the coil covers, etc. The other thing I try to do at this time is to vaccuum the bugs from the cooling fins on the radiator and a/c. Supposedly this will help the efficency of these.

BruteForce
01-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I picked this up from a previous post here. Works really well. Also an excuse for having to warm up the car before washing/waxing. :D

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail the exterior of your car.

4) When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

DeadVic
01-28-2005, 12:44 PM
make sure the engine is COLD in all cases. these engines are aluminum and will warp. Typically I do this only after it sits all night.

I use the orange/silver can of engine cleaner you can get at any parts store. smells like oranges. depending upon how dirty it is a tooth brush might be helpful for those tight spots too. I think it's make by CD or CD2.

I rarely use any armor all type products under the hood because it attracts dust. Just get it clean and dry and leave it alone. If you want the polished look armor all stuff wont hurt anything but it requires more upkeep.

In the past I have used touchless tire foam spray. During application you can tell where you've been and it is less likely to puddle and require further clean up.

RF Overlord
01-28-2005, 12:55 PM
I've used Simple Green and copious ammounts of water on mine several times. On a cold engine, I spray the Simple Green everywhere in the engine compartment. Let it sit for 15ish minutes, then flush with the hose. I usually try to do this with the car on jackstands with the wheels off so I can get the underside, wheelwells, and frame/suspension members at the same time. I also remove the plastic cover from over the radiator prior to this. When it is dry, I wax anything painted, and apply protectant (Armor All, etc.) to all the plastic, naugahide(sic), and rubber, except the belts. This includes the inner fenders, up under the bumper cover, and the battery. Also at this time I clean the inside and backside (the non shiny part) of the wheels. After cleaning, I apply a good coat of wax to seal them and make "normal" cleaning easier. I try to wipe down the brake lines, springs, and other suspension parts as well, although I don't get as "anul" with these. I figure that I'm not only cleaning all the hard to get to places where mud and debris pile up and will form rust, but I'm also inspecting for abnormal wear and damage. It also gives me an excuse to rotate (side to side) the tires since they are off. I've never had any trouble with this method, although some care is needed with the hose. You know, don't try to fill the alternator, test the seals on the coil covers, etc. The other thing I try to do at this time is to vaccuum the bugs from the cooling fins on the radiator and a/c. Supposedly this will help the efficency of these.

Paul: When do you find time to DRIVE your car?

Paul T. Casey
01-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Bob, I do live a rather exciting life. I takes me the better part of a full day to do the detailing thing. At it by 8, finish by 6.

Embassy
01-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Instead of me typing a rather long post, I'll recommend reading this (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-engine.html) article since they do many of the same things I do when washing engines.

I use PS-12 and various-sized soft brushes to clean the engine. I then use 303 Aerospace protectant.

Never use a petroleum-based detail spray. It destroys the rubber hoses and parts.

Here's (http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=588&s=14983#content) some old pics the Vic's engine, before I installed the Marauder MAF and airbox.

Here's (http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=588&s=20973#content) some more recent pics. Keep in mind that these pics were taken at least 3 months after it's last detail.

CBT
01-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Dang! Maybe I could pull a switcheroo next time you go to clean yours....:D

Bob, I do live a rather exciting life. I takes me the better part of a full day to do the detailing thing. At it by 8, finish by 6.

Paul T. Casey
01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
CBT, just drop it off at the house next time you're in Groton. Take mine to work, I'll get yours done by quitting time. Weather permitting of course.

CBT
01-29-2005, 09:53 PM
You Sir, are too kind.

Donny Carlson
01-30-2005, 12:12 AM
This is what Aric Carrion, the tuning guru at Injected Engineering and Team Ford, recommended, and it works.

Simple Green, cut 50% with water, spray copiously on a COLD engine, allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with cold water right out of the hose, no pressure.

To dry it off (and this part is from another Marauder owner who has won car show trophies), use your leaf blower to get all the water out of the nooks and crannies and shiny bits.

Finally (and this part is from the Toddster) is to use Zaino rubber treatment on hoses and exposed plastic parts, apply with a sponge, wipe off with a cotton towel. Personally, I don't do this step, but anybody who's seen Todd's car can testify to how amazingly clean the engine bay looks.

Agent M79
01-30-2005, 06:10 AM
...but anybody who's seen Todd's car can testify to how amazingly clean the engine bay looks.
I still have the after images burned into my retinas.

Once Todd is back, I sure hope he shares his full underhood cleaning regime.

duhtroll
02-10-2005, 09:13 AM
I tried going thru the automatic wash with the hood up, but that just caused problems.

Seriously, I am thinking of simply rinsing things down this weekend in the engine bay since the baby is due for her waxing. We'll see how much that helps and if I think I need to actually clean under the hood. I don't give a rip about engine appearance, as I don't show the car anywhere. The only ones to see it are myself and the mechanics.

I just don't want to have problems related to it being dirty.

-A

michael ward
02-10-2005, 09:41 AM
I go to the quarter car wash power wash/soap then rinse with spotfree dry with towel then apply your dressing... I have been doing this twice a month for over twelve years and NEVER a problem!! this is the truth....! NO :bs:

MENINBLK
02-10-2005, 01:26 PM
All I've ever done is pressure wash under the hood with cold water,
and wipe down whatever I can reach with a terry cloth towel.
Of course the engine is alwasy COLD when I do this, and when I'm done,
I start the engine and let it warm up, while I'm drying off the rest of the Marauder.

Al Goguen
02-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Finished about 5 mins ago. I had it warm and sprayed with fine mist from the
hose. Then I used soap and water to clean all the dust off. The engine
itself wasn't greasy so no need to guck it. I then use a soft towel and
dry what I can. Start it up let it idle for about 10 mins to make sure
all the wires and connections are okay. I then use some Armoral (sp)
and wipe down all the black areas (plastic) to make it shine. I am done.

I have done this many, many times. No problem....
Getting ready to trade the MM for a Cobra. Should happen within the
next week or two.. Won't beable to drive for awhile as I got surgery
on tues. for shoulder problems...Will be in a sling for awhile.....
.:beatnik:

MM2004
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Garden hose in the cold engine compartmemnt, immediately before bathtime.

A drive around the block after she's clean. (Slings excess water off the rims and out of the mirrors).

Shut the engine off while drying, then spray the engine compartment with STP silicone spray. Dry the beast leaving the hood up to evaporate any heavy vapors.

Wipe off excess silicone with a dry clean cloth.

The attached pic is my '01 GM after three years of having her.