PDA

View Full Version : Stock Muffler Size

crom
02-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm looking to swap out my stock mufflers with something else, more for a little more growl/flow. I did a search, maybe not seeing it, trying to get the stock muffler dimensions so I can match up sizes. I work part time at Advance Auto and we carry Dynomax which I can get at a 20% discount. If anyone knows the dimensions I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

BillyGman
02-03-2005, 09:40 AM
the only thing that I can tell you is that I learned from ordering the Kooks complete bolt-on exhaust sysytem back in 03 that the 18" Muflers (18" long shell body, and a 24" overall length) were the longest that can be used for the Marauder, and if I went with a 22" long muffler(ie 22" body length) it would've been too long. Oh, and the rest of the dimensions were a shell casing of 4"x9" with an offset inlet, and a center outlet.

crom
02-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Billy, thanks for the info, again! On another note, I finally got my 4.10 gears installed. Definitely worth the effort. I appreciate all the info/help you gave me with that one. :)

DEFYANT
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Crom, get with some other MM guys who have modded their exhaust. I recently attened a N/E MM meet and got to hear the difference between the Kooks and the Cobra kit from DR. Both sound great, but different. Find someone with the mufflers and hear what then sound like.

Thanks again to the the N/E MMs, you guys were very helpful

crom
02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Defyant,
I eventually would like to get the DR cobra set up. But with a baby on the way and a son getting ready to go off to college, $ is tight. Man has to know his priorities/limits. As far as getting with others, I live on the coast in NC and most of the Carolina Marauders folks are in the Charlotte area. Being in the Marine Corps I don't get a lot of free time these days and what little I do get is mostly spent on "Honey do's" if you know what I mean. I'm just looking to swap out my stock mufflers with the Dynomax's that I can get at a discount for a little more growl. Thanks for the feedback.

Amsoil_Dealer
02-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Defyant,
I eventually would like to get the DR cobra set up. But with a baby on the way and a son getting ready to go off to college, $ is tight. Man has to know his priorities/limits. As far as getting with others, I live on the coast in NC and most of the Carolina Marauders folks are in the Charlotte area. Being in the Marine Corps I don't get a lot of free time these days and what little I do get is mostly spent on "Honey do's" if you know what I mean. I'm just looking to swap out my stock mufflers with the Dynomax's that I can get at a discount for a little more growl. Thanks for the feedback.

I would'nt go Dynomax. Try http://www.completeexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=393

This may be a few dollars more than the Dynomax but it is the popular choice among Marauder guys. Why? Straight through design allows better performance and sound at WOT.

Good Luck,

Don

torinodan
02-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Defyant,
You too huh? I'm with ya on that one. I would go with the magnaflows as well

Marauderman
02-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Agree........I did the Magnaflows....and it's really noticable--just ask any of the Carolina Marauder folks........good luck.........Tom

crom
02-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. The Dynomax that I'm looking at are a straight thru design with fiberglass surrounding the thru pipe in the canister housing. I'm mainly looking at these because of my cost savings. I can get them for $60 bucks a piece. What is the price of the Magnaflows and what part# do I need to do the swap with the OEM mufflers? Again thanks for the feedback.

BillyGman
02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
If you're going to keep the stock tailpipes at the factory 2.25" diameter like most of us have, then you'll need the Magnaflow muffler part # 14355. That's what the Kooks system offers, and Kooks also sends them to you with the 2.25" diameter inlets bull-nosed, so that they will slide snuggly over the 2.5" diamater muffler pipes and the band clamps that they also offer can be used for do-it-yourselfers like me.

But if you're also changing the tailpipes to a 2.5" diameter, then you'll need muffler part #14356. But I better not tell you anything more here, or I might be accused of being a vendor like I was accused of being on another thread. :rolleyes:

But if you want to to look all of this up for yourself, then here's a link to the magnaflow webpage that features these mufflers. BTW, they're stainless steel mufflers, and you want the 18" ones that are 4"x9" ovals.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone =main&id=350

WantOneSoBad
02-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Which exhaust system best helps the performance numbers? Has there been any type of comparison yet on the major guys. No Borla or Corsa systems out there?

I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering if some of you NC guys could tell me a good place to find a marauder around here. I'm in Fayetteville and I'm having a hard time trying to find one and not being ripped off at the same time. Carmax is selling a 2003 Black MM fully loaded with 27656 miles for close to 36,000. To me, that is way too much.

FordNut
02-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Which exhaust system best helps the performance numbers? Has there been any type of comparison yet on the major guys. No Borla or Corsa systems out there?

I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering if some of you NC guys could tell me a good place to find a marauder around here. I'm in Fayetteville and I'm having a hard time trying to find one and not being ripped off at the same time. Carmax is selling a 2003 Black MM fully loaded with 27656 miles for close to 36,000. To me, that is way too much.
That's way too much for a brand new one with zero miles! About $9,000 more than I paid for mine brand new. A used one should be around 20,000-22,000 especially with that many miles.

No Borla or Corsa systems, no Hooker headers. Low volume car, so aftermarket offerings are much less than 'stangs.

Amsoil_Dealer
02-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I can get them for $60 bucks a piece.

Is there a web page that shows these? I did not know they made a straight through design.

Don

BillyGman
02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
I dunno about the Dynomax ones, but the magnaflows are a straight thru design.....here's their website....click on the stainless steel ones......

www.magnaflow.com (http://www.magnaflow.com)

Agent M79
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Agree........I did the Magnaflows....and it's really noticable--just ask any of the Carolina Marauder folks........good luck.........TomEh? What? I heard ya saying somethin' but there is this ringin' in mah earz.