PDA

View Full Version : 3 M Swirl Remover

Bobby Clobber
02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Anyone here use this product. Any hints ,suggestions? I have a buffer from Meguires , I was hoping that I could use it to apply the product. Tried a little bit , hand applied, and it took the swirlies away.

Before I go any further I'd like to hear any comments. :beer:

Krytin
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Watch your buffer speed if you don't have much experience! You want to watch for burns or cutting through the clear coat!

maraudernkc
02-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Are using a foam pad?

Bobby Clobber
02-05-2005, 11:32 AM
YEah , Meguires foam pad, medium speed on the buffer is what I was thinking?

Krytin
02-05-2005, 02:38 PM
YEah , Meguires foam pad, medium speed on the buffer is what I was thinking?
Yes - just don't stay in one spot for too long!

danbike
02-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I used first the swirl remover and then followed it up with the polish. Both were 3M products. I used them on a motorcycle gas tank that I had painted with rattle cans. The bike won a best in show at an antique car show.

Just one suggestion, while the surface area is not big, I did all the work by hand. I was afraid to use a polisher and damage the paint.

Be careful and good luck.

Brutus
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I cant speak foe 3M's swirl remover, but I swear by Meguire's. I have the same buffer (Porter Cable) also and use their foam pads. Follow this up with some polish and a good wax.

jgc61sr2002
02-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Anyone here use this product. Any hints ,suggestions? I have a buffer from Meguires , I was hoping that I could use it to apply the product. Tried a little bit , hand applied, and it took the swirlies away.

Before I go any further I'd like to hear any comments. :beer:

Bobby - I suggest you try it on another car before the Marauder.

captJ696
02-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Bobby - I suggest you try it on another car before the Marauder.

..what he ^^^^^ said

CRUZTAKER
02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Not only do I use it...I stand by it!!!

3M SWIRL MARK REMOVER FOR DARK CARS is a wonderfull product for the really bad marks. I DO NOT use a buffer with it. If you choose to do so, a HIGH SPEED buffer is the only one that will make it work effectively. You really need to know what you are doing however.

I use this product for spot repair only. Not on the entire car surface as it is too hard to work with. I never use an applicator of anty kind, and only use my thumb or fore finger to work the scratched area until the product turns into a clear wet/water look. I then wipe it off.

If I may suggest another swirl mark remover that works well on the entire car, and even with an orbital, that would be McGuires swirl mark/scratch remover. It works well with a high speed as well.

JeffGrice
02-06-2005, 06:18 PM
ditto on the Meguires swirl/scratch remover in the black tube.

BTW - this works great on furniture to bring back gloss. We have a wood desk and from hands/arms resting on it it dulls....

The guy who re-felted my pool table told me about it.

Jeff

PS - if you are a "waxer" Zaino is trick...use it exclusively on my shelby cobra

Bobby Clobber
02-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys, I am a Zaino zealot , so I'm hoping the 3M product will be the one that helps out with the occasional scuff or scratch. I don't plan on doing the whole car, so Barry , your tip seems to be the way to go and your experience seems to bear that out.

We'll see when the weather gets a bit better.

Thanks again. :beer:

prchrman
02-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Hand buff if possible...if using buffer watch corners and high places...buffer will remove paint in a New York minute...willie

shakes_26
02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
anybody try this 3M stuff on the rims to clear out the light scratches that seem to multiply by themselves?