PDA

View Full Version : Nitto 555R's for $230 each....link inside

FiveO
02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey gang,

Just FYI. Not a bad price on these babies.

Got the link from mrogerc (Trilogy #9). Ordered mine last week.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=305&ar=45&rd=18

Very friendly people.

I also ordered them "Heat Cycled". Anyone ever heard of this? It was only $15 a tire...so no biggie.

Cheers! :beer:

Marauderman
02-09-2005, 05:22 AM
Hey Mark-Any idea what they normally go for-I have no idea for comparisons---although if you say its good--then you must be right!!--Thanks---Tom

FiveO
02-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Lowest I've seen before was about $260 each.

I've seen upwards of $300 per tire also.

Marauderman
02-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks--Am so tempted--am buying and storing for later installs of stuff--man-on man---Thanks--Mark--

QWK SVT
02-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey gang,

Just FYI. Not a bad price on these babies.

Got the link from mrogerc (Trilogy #9). Ordered mine last week.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=305&ar=45&rd=18

Very friendly people.

I also ordered them "Heat Cycled". Anyone ever heard of this? It was only $15 a tire...so no biggie.

Cheers! :beer:
That's a really good price! I'll have to see if they'll ship up the the great white north...

"Michelin has noted an improvement in tire wear with heat cycled tires and that they may come up to operating temperature slightly quicker than non-heat cycled tires. Additionally, Michelin has also noted a marginal improvement in lap times (maybe .1-.2 sec in a 38-40 sec autocross environment) on some cars. The improvement is not always obvious.

It is important to remember that the 24 to 48 hour "resting" period for the tire following heat cycling is an important element to the process’ success."

Basically, you should get better wear out of the tires, and shouldn't need quite as large a burnout, to warm them up at the track (thus getting better wear, too)...

Tirerack also does Heat Cycling - Link (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/competition/heatcycletech.jsp)

BillyGman
02-12-2005, 11:59 PM
I always get my Nitto drag rwdials from Discouint tire direct also, and yes, i also pay the extra $15 for the heat cycling since they recommedn it. I contacted Nitto tire (Toyo) directly about this heat cycling thing to make sure that it's legit, and they recommended it too. BTW, since the tires will always take atleast 48 hours to arrive at your residence, then that will give them plenty of time to rest after the heat cycling method is applied before shipping.

FiveO
02-13-2005, 12:13 AM
My Nitto's landed on my door last Thursday.

These things are huge! I'm glad I went with the heat cycling. Sounds like it's worth the $15 per tire.

I also went and picked up my 20foot flatbed tilt trailer today...brand new :D

25 feet long overall.... :lol:

I cannot wait for the trip to Michigan!

BillyGman
02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
My Nitto's landed on my door last Thursday.

These things are huge!LOL...yeah they are....and the UPS driver always comments on how big they are when he delivers then to my house. :D I'm glad I went with the heat cycling. Sounds like it's worth the $15 per tire.the way I look at it, what's another $15 after I just spent $230 or $240 per tire? especially since the recommendation for the heat cycle is actually coming from the manufacture.

I also went and picked up my 20foot flatbed tilt trailer today...brand new :D

25 feet long overall.... :lol:

Wow!!! it must be nice to have that. :banana2:

David Morton
02-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey guys, anybody gone through a set of these rears yet? Wanna let some of us know how many miles you got before you recycled 'em?

The reason I asked is because I went through my first set of stock rears in 7000 miles! Of course that's probably because I was doing a full throttle launch every time I had an open road in front of me. You know how it is when you first get this car after being used to driving a standard panther, the fat underpowered pig that it is. It's like, for three months I went around with bags under my eyes because I wasn't sleeping, thinking about how lucky I was that I bought this car instead of, say, that ugly a$$ 300C.

BillyGman
02-13-2005, 01:58 AM
I went through two sets of Nittos already. The second set I don't even want to talk about since it was due to an afternoon of insanity in the dragstrip parking lot with John after the place closed (read about it in that other thread about "Brake Torqing"). But the first set only lasted me for 6,000 miles. However, there again, I did some real hairy burnouts on the street and in a couple parking lots w/those tires where I got well into third gear with the speedometer needle at 90 MPH while the car was standing still. So I'm sure I could've seen about 10,000 miles out of that set if I didn't do that. But I wouldn't expect anymore than 10K out of these tires. That's for sure. They grip better than other tires do that aren't drag radials, but the extra traction doesn't come w/out a cost.

Furthermore, they'll only be okay in the rain fo about the first 8,000 miles at best. After that, you won't be able to drive safely over 55 MPH on the highway when it rains. They really get very dangerous in the rain after that. Please don't take this lightly, because I'm not exaggerating about that.

rumble
02-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Furthermore, they'll only be okay in the rain fo about the first 8,000 miles at best. After that, you won't be able to drive safely over 55 MPH on the highway when it rains. They really get very dangerous in the rain after that. Please don't take this lightly, because I'm not exaggerating about that.

Very good advice. And not just for these skins either, the stock tires with
stock motor will get really squirrely on wet streets after 7 or 8k too. I think
on the stock tire the sipes only go down to maybe 4 or 5 tenths tread depth
and when you wear down to that point then they become a different tire on
wet streets. I notice it especially when accelerating around a turn.
The back end will want to come around just like you were on ice. I have seen a
couple of posts here were guys have actually done the whole donut on a wet
street. it's not bad when you are expecting it but can be
very dangerous if it surprises you

BillyGman
02-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Very good advice. And not just for these skins either, the stock tires with
stock motor will get really squirrely on wet streets after 7 or 8k too. I think
on the stock tire the sipes only go down to maybe 4 or 5 tenths tread depth
and when you wear down to that point then they become a different tire on
wet streets. Trust me, after the first half dozen miles on the Drag radials, they're even worse in the rain than the stock OEM tires are. You really have to be sure to watch the trads on them carefully, and when they get real low, you have to take it super mellow and super slow in the rain especially on the highway. And you have to realize that I am not a conservative driver by any stretch of the imagination, so coming from me this is a serious warning.

I LUV the Nittos, and I'll continue to buy them for street & strip use as long as I can afford them, but you have to keep these things in mind.