PDA

View Full Version : Addco Front swaybar info

shakes_26
02-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Well I installed the Addco #2186 Front swaybar the other night with an excellent pit crew we had -r dun in no time flat. I had some questions, TAF provided me some good info, and thought we should pass my experiences on with the others.

First, the brackets fit fine, hole sizes correct, although the holes look 'off' a little and in generaly I was less than 100% satisfied with the quality of the bushing brackets, the rest is spot on. That said, the bar bolted in no problem, the bushings, body brackets went right on.

Now we go to the ends, where the end link studs go through the swaybar, thank goodness RoyLPita came over, I'm sure I would have bent or broken soemthing. In any case this was the toughest part of the job, getting the end link studs through the bar ends. Yes the wheels need to be off, but you wont need to take the disc brakes off.

End link reassembly. Ah yes. Well I thought we had messed something up as we had what appeared to be a gap between the swaybar end and the end link. This coupled with the nut not being threaded as deep as I thought it should be led me to believe foul-up on my part. Wrong. :help:

The stud on the end link has a shoulder or flange, which the new swaybar end buts against. When your wrestling with the end link you wind up compressing the rubber boot on the end link stud. So it looks like there is a gap. You could try and mess with this, but mine seemed pretty determined to stay in place, and I was in no mood to tear them and buy myself an end link replacement. No worries the vital bits are covered by the boot.

Next, the nut on the end link stud, well it doesnt drive as deep as it did before. Of course the new bar is thicker, but it did not seem that much thicker. I measured it with calipers, the OEM bar end is 9mm, the Addco is a hair over 16mm, almost double the OEM. Therefore the nut can't go down any farther (remember above, the bar end is already against the flange of the end link stud).

We test drove the car and had no pop or noise or any ill effects. So along with TAF's feedback + that from the good folks at Team Ford, I say this mod is DONE. Lots of help from the forum members local and not so local, thats what makes this such a great place.:beer:

shakes_26
02-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Ah, but how does it handle?

I installed the rear Addco bar first, this gave the car sharper, quicker turn in. I liked the feel, but at speed I could see where its easy to oversteer.

Next I installed the Front Swaybar. My first impression was it completely negated the benefit of the rear swaybar. Then with a little more pushing, I realized it merely flattened out the rear bar's oversteer. I was taking turns at nearly 2x the speed, and the car was flat through the turn, no tire squeal ( I run 40psi).

The subsequent problem was the seat to arse coefficent of friction was exceeded. I could have used some side bolsters, maybe a jesus handle on the dash or center console.

I've experimented some more, and whipping a U-E while moving (not from a stop) , the car turns and the body stays flat, no body roll/very little body roll.

So next is the Metco control arms and Watts link, looks liek the spring I might take on the Blue Ridge...

Cobra25
02-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the up date & information on the sway bar's. Something I now have to consider doing.

SouLRioT
02-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Z if you have the money I'd get in on the group buy for the Metco stuff aswell. You'll love the way it will handle. And once I have some freed-up income I'll be getting the front sway bar too. Shakes is on his way to having one bad ass car.

Cobra25
02-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Bill right now I'm purchasing a few big ticket items, According shutters for the home, new back padio & screen encolser & will be removing a tree or two and wideing the driver way. The front & rear sway bars I will get but will have to wait just a little longer. AS far as the metco stuff, it's not on the list at this time. $$$

drobin
02-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I installed the Metco Front Sway Bar in my garage using drive up front wheel ramps and didn't have to remove the wheels.. This was a one man job and the only trick was to tie up the stabilizer to the serpentine belt with some rope and start the installation... Easy as eating apple pie.....

drobin
"Donald"

EbonyMarauder03
02-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Shakes, what part number rear bar did you get? Did you go with the urethane bushings?

shakes_26
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
The rear bar is a #650 I believe, available through DR, swaybars.com, or Summit racing. It comes with urethane bushings (end links and mounting).