PDA

View Full Version : Police Interceptor logo

CRUZTAKER
02-14-2003, 11:38 AM
I know that a number of members own retired police cars. I see them on the road as well. Just curious, but....Has anyone had a hassle regarding the badge on the trunk lid "POLICE INTERCEPTOR"?
Were you required to remove it, or was it removed prior to acquisition?

A supervisor at my local sheriffs dept. said no problem. It just seemed like a novelty......they do sell them at the dealership, but they are reluctant to do so.

Cruztaker

LincMercLover
02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
It's a Ford owned emblem, they can't get you for just an emblem.

MAD-3R
02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
badging is badging. It's almost like the model of the crown vic, such as sport or lk, just it's the interceprtor.

CRUZTAKER
02-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Hey. hello, I did'nt know you were all online.

Good answer, Now to convince the dealership. I had said, it's just a novelty, I thought it would look cool. I did not say I was gonna do it, but if I did , you guys would never see it to hammer me, just the locals....and they ALL clueless around here.

RF Overlord
02-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Cruz:

I read somewhere else (CVN maybe, or a related site) that the Ford "Police Interceptor" badge is legal in every state but New York...they apparently have a law forbidding the word "Police" on any car except an actual law enforcement vehicle.

Just don't be puttin' a "Type R" badge on it, or we'll revoke your membership... :nono:

03 Merc
02-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Cruztaker,

E-Bay if you can't go locally.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403061037&category=6769

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403606479&category=6766

There are multiple listing for the PI stuff....

Slowpoke
02-14-2003, 03:01 PM
how about "Pursuit Prowler"

SergntMac
02-14-2003, 03:04 PM
As an LEO, I can offer a professional opinion (for once). It's the manfacturer's badging, and only describes the vehicle as it was built. That is in no way a representation of any official LE status. If FMC called it "cop car", it's just a model, nothing more. NY state may have legislation against this, but even then, it seems a very narrow view of poorly worded law. May even date back to a time before the badge existed, and if so, there may have been a point to it at some time. Michigan requires police vehicles to identify authoruty by displaying a sign on the hood. Perhaps it's not really necessary anymore, the statute remains, and the hood sign is tradition.

Illinois is tough on IPA and FOP decals/emblems, and that law is clear. Display without qualified membership in one or both associations, and it's a class A misdemeanor, 1 yr./10,000k fine on conviction, and vehicle seizure...Just so you know.

Guess it's not the badge, but what you do with it, that counts.

Billatpro
02-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
As an LEO, I can offer a professional opinion (for once).

Mac,
I'm really disapionted! I thought all your opinions were "professional"! even the one's that were a little wierd and kind of rambled along aimlessly seeming to go to no paticular point!

I'm a little lost at this point, I don't know if should salute you or help zip your skirt? Yuk, Yuk, Har,Har just funnin ya ociffer.

Billatpro
02-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Disapointed?, Dissapointed? Disappointed? oh to hell with it

RCSignals
02-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Exactly Mac. The car's designation is "Police Interceptor" it has it's own model identifier "P71" It is based on a Crown Victoria in the same way as a Marauder is based on a Grand Marquis.
No where on a "Police Interceptor" does it say "Crown Victoria" anymore just like a marauder has no "Grand Marquis" badging

Ford has been using "Police Interceptor" for it's Police cars since the '50s at least. It's only been recent years that the name has been placed on the outside.

jgc61sr2002
02-14-2003, 04:00 PM
RF I believe you are correct about the PI badge. You must be a law enforcement agency to have any designation "POLICE" on your vehicle in NY State. John

RF Overlord
02-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Illinois is tough on IPA and FOP decals/emblems, and that law is clear. Display without qualified membership in one or both associations, and it's a class A misdemeanor, 1 yr./10,000k fine on conviction, and vehicle seizure...Just so you know.

Sarge: IPA? (India Pale Ale?) FOP? I know most of the acronyms, but I'm drawing a blank here...

So does this Illinois law mean I can't have my "BAD COP! NO DONUT!" bumper sticker, either? :banned:

CRUZTAKER
02-14-2003, 06:43 PM
OH MY. Now I have lost the novelty....I found the part number though, and it's not a center cap!

XW7Z5442528AA = $14.34 The REAL ford dealer could give a crap when I called him. Ohio pretty much says no blue lights or tint over 50%on the vehicle. But within the Cleveland city limits, you almost have to request to be pulled over.....
I have family in the force Sarge, so at times I take take a poke at our locals.
The Ohio staties though, are not to be fooled with.
My motto: 'DON'T FEED THE BEARS'

jgc61sr2002
02-14-2003, 06:57 PM
RF FOP - Fraternal Order of Police IPA International Police Association. John

BigMerc
02-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Just like having a ballcap that said "police", its no crime, there has to be an accompanying action, like "I'm a police Officer" If anyone gave you trouble they would need an appropriate statute which they won't find, they may try a catch all statute, but I really know of no one that would try that one. In addition we all know the cars are auctioned off so seeing a PI badge wouldn't get anyone excited.

Now if you had these lights like these, they might take a different stance

Bigdogjim
02-14-2003, 09:42 PM
BigMerc: This has nothin to do with this thread but, it is sooooo nice to see a MM not sitting in the snow......

Big Dog :lol: