PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions on brake kit

Fourth Horseman
02-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Getting closer to ordering a new brake kit for installation this spring. Had a couple of questions. With the 13.1" rotor and Willwood 6 piston kit, would that be something I can install myself? I'm no mechanic, but I'm not afraid of turning a wrench, either. Or would you recommend that I get it professionally installed?

Also, I'm a little fuzzy on what pad options I have. Will I have to buy my replacement pads directly through TCE or Willwood, or can they be purchased at any auto parts store?

Thanks for your help.

HwyCruiser
02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
My opinion was that I'm not messing with brakes, period. I've got the setup your considering, had them dropped shipped to my dealer's service department and $200 later I had them on the car.

Now that they're on I've had the pads out a couple times freshing up the black fireplace spraypaint around the non-contact part of the rotor... should have gone with the zinc plating... but the pads are a breeze to r&r. They drop in from the back, no caliper removal required. Todd ships 'Q' pads with the kit. I've got about 10k miles on them and they aren't showing substantial wear yet. The bonus is no (or very little) brake dust. He's got all the different types described on his website.

I would suggest that you have the rotors checked for runout on the spindles and trued up if necessary. This shouldn't be required, but I've been there and back. UPS must have dropped mine a couple times.

BTW, I've got the gas slotted rotors and love them. The wet weather performance is awesome. Hope this helps.

Todd TCE
02-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I haven't gone anywhere. Still making up kits as requested.

Installation is very simple on this one. No special tools needed. Only a line wrench for the hard line fitting. I could do this in about an hour and a half or so. You; give it three hours time seeing as you've not done it. Bleeding will take a helper in the end as well.

Pads are available from any Wilwood dealer and soon this plate will be available also from Hawk and a couple of other pad producers. (it's a thinner version of a current pad so there is some new tooling on their part) Cost of pad varies by compound, but figure on $75 street to $125 for the high end race pad.

No you will not find them at Autozone however.

Todd TCE
02-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I would suggest that you have the rotors checked for runout on the spindles and trued up if necessary. This shouldn't be required, but I've been there and back. UPS must have dropped mine a couple times.

I'll say much of that is due to the Q pad requiring some real hard, hot bedding. I blue the rotors around here and smoke the hell out of the pad during break in. If done the pad transfer is not evident.

On the other hand....I'm working with Hawk to supply me the HPS compound for the narrow pad application as an alternative to the Q pads for this reason.

I've had discussion with WW on the Q pad and while they swear by it and that it's the same pad as always there have been more transfer issues in the past six months than prior. In short; I'm not buying it and taking corrective measures.

Fourth Horseman
02-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm sold.