PDA

View Full Version : Wideband AFR Sensor ???

FordNut
02-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I got the Wideband Commander from Dynojet. I had been considering mounting the bung for the O2 sensor at the x-pipe so it samples both sides. However, that is a bit further away than optimal and it is after the cats, which will affect accuracy. Another option is to mount the sensor bung in the header collector, but then it will only sample one side. If so, which side makes more sense? Driver's side is supposedly more prone to problems but passenger's side is more easily accessible for welding.

Anybody got one installed? Any suggestions?

DirtyDog
02-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I would install a bung on each side. The bungs are cheap and that way you could compare sides to see if they are balanced. You could even have two sensors and just change the connector from side to side. That would be a good way to check for injectors going bad.

HwyCruiser
02-11-2005, 10:53 PM
FordNut,

Thanks for the lead on that. I looked them up:

http://www.widebandcommander.com

It looks like a pretty slick system. I agree with DirtyDog, having two Bosch sensors installed could let you switch between them - although the passenger side should be representative, no?

The installation instructions warn that you need to keep the sensor(s) powered up when the engine is running.

Here's a link to an Austrailan site regarding the sensor:

http://wbo2.com/lsu/lsu4.htm

The tach pickup installation to use the RPM logger looks a little concerning. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of this when you get a chance to try it out.

BTW, where did you order it from?

Krytin
02-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Unless you go for two sensors, which does sound like the right way but logistics of keeping both powered could be hard, either side/bank will represent fine for tuning. Plug/injector failures can happen to either side of the engine and the only way to get real time indication for that is to install sensors on both sides. Just my $0.02.

FordNut
02-12-2005, 08:07 AM
FordNut,

Thanks for the lead on that. I looked them up:

http://www.widebandcommander.com

It looks like a pretty slick system. I agree with DirtyDog, having two Bosch sensors installed could let you switch between them - although the passenger side should be representative, no?

The installation instructions warn that you need to keep the sensor(s) powered up when the engine is running.

Here's a link to an Austrailan site regarding the sensor:

http://wbo2.com/lsu/lsu4.htm

The tach pickup installation to use the RPM logger looks a little concerning. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of this when you get a chance to try it out.

BTW, where did you order it from?
I don't plan to use the tach hookup or datalogger functions. To use it as a meter only, you just connect the sensor, power, and gauge leads.

I really like the meter display, it matches Autometer Phantom series gauges perfectly. And it gives a numerical readout instead of the color wheel that some other AFR gauges have.

I suppose I could put a bung on each side. It comes with a plug for the bung which is supposed to be installed if the unit is not in use so the sensor can be taken out instead of being damaged due to lack of electrical power.

Now I wonder, could I connect 2 sensors to the controller so the power stays on all the time, then connect a toggle switch between the 2 output signal wires? More research to do...

I'll have to look up my paperwork to see where I got it from. Will let you know soon.

BillyGman
02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I had a bung for the AFR measurement installed on the left(driver's)side of my exhaust when it was dyno tested. But instead of it being placed right in the header collector, it was put in the pipe that bolts to the collector flange, right before the cat. So you can put it there too, and it will be a little easier to get at while at the same time still offer the benefit of improved accuracy since it's still before the cat. I'd also recommend that the threaded insert that you're going to weld in the pipe be a stainless steel one. If you don't already have that, then you can go to the Kooks website, and they have them listed there w/a pic, part #, and the price listed also.