PDA

View Full Version : K&N on a Trilogy...

Tallboy
02-13-2005, 06:10 AM
I have a very narrow-audience question. I would like to hear from members who put a K&N FIPK on their cars AFTER they got a Trilogy.

Are you happy with it?
Any noticeable performance increase?
How is the sound?

This is the only other mod I am considering. I am only considering K&N [PM me if you'd like to know why, as I do not want to start a comparison thread.] This mod was highly recommended to me by someone I trust.

Thanks!:beer:

MARAUDER S/C #5
02-13-2005, 08:22 AM
I have one on order. I'll let you know how I like it. :cool:

FiveO
02-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Lidio's crew is going to put a K&N kit on my Trilogized Marauder on the 25th of this month.

I love the look of it with the heat shield.

I have no doubt I'll be happy with it.

Cobra25
02-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Can you post a picture of it when its done?

tmac1337
02-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Chuck, I can't believe my eyes. Do you really need it? :)

Nathan
02-13-2005, 10:05 AM
The sucking sound from under the hood is definitely more noticeable, if that counts for anything. Until it gets a little warmer around here, I won't have a chance to get her out and give her a good work out. I'll let you know if it makes a difference in my ET when Indianapolis Raceway Park opens in March.

Pics from my install:

http://www.circlecitymarauders.com/trilogy_kandn/

tmac1337
02-13-2005, 10:19 AM
The sucking sound from under the hood is definitely more noticeable, if that counts for anything. Until it gets a little warmer around here, I won't have a chance to get her out and give her a good work out. I'll let you know if it makes a difference in my ET when Indianapolis Raceway Park opens in March.

Pics from my install:

http://www.circlecitymarauders.com/trilogy_kandn/

Chuck doesn't mind, he likes sucking sounds!

Tallboy
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Chuck doesn't mind, he likes sucking sounds!Only if there's a bottle of Bud Light at the other end!

As I said, the K&N is the one and only thing I'm considering. Watching all my friends [both of 'em!] continue to improve their cars, it's difficult to just sit and watch. I feel like I should be doing something. But, one quick spin around the block and I ask myself, why? It's just difficult for me, I guess.

Maybe I need another toy...:hmmm:

SouLRioT
02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Chuck, as you know I dont have a trilogy but I just got the K&N and boy does it suck, air that is. My car doesn't have as much HP as you but your always more than welcome to take it for a spin and try out the K&N, plus the Baers aswell. And as far as getting a new toy, maybe wait a little and get a new Cobra when ever it comes out.

Tallboy
02-13-2005, 01:04 PM

Pics from my install:

http://www.circlecitymarauders.com/trilogy_kandn/Thanks Nathan! Those pics are just what i was looking for.

Bill-I was halfway home from the picnic when I realized I forgot to check out your brakes! :mad:

JFB
02-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I have just installed a modified K&N setup on my Marauder. It was purchased from Lidio, and he modified it for the Trilogy setup. It is definitely louder at full throttle. I haven't measured the horsepower increase, but it definitely made a difference !

tmac1337
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Chuck, from what I have read, it is a good mod for your blower equiped car. Splurge a little. Good HP for the $ results. Can't wait to check it out!

Tallboy
02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Chuck, from what I have read, it is a good mod for your blower equiped car. Splurge a little. Good HP for the $ results. Can't wait to check it out!
I've heard the same thing. I'll let you know what i decide...:burnout:

MENINBLK
02-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Make sure you guys buy a DryCharger for your AirCharger !
Its a $30 cover that keeps the water and light dust out of your K&N Filter,
and makes it last a lot longer !!!

BillyGman
02-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Make sure you guys buy a DryCharger for your AirCharger !
Its a $30 cover that keeps the water and light dust out of your K&N Filter,
and makes it last a lot longer !!!It's also called a "pre-filter" by some vendors, and it's the reason for my skepticism about those filters, and all the copycat ones that are like them. The filter manufactires claim that these are freer flowing, and result in better airflow than the stock filters. However, I have to wonder if their design actually is adequate for preventing dirt from entering your engine because of the fact that they do offer these sock type "pre-filters".

If they were adequate, then why would these companies even offer a "pre-filter"??? That just doesn't sound right to me. And if you use their pre-filter, then my guess would be that it's going to reduce airflow, which defeats the whole purpose from switching to these filters in the first place. Souds like a contradiction to me. I think I'm staying with the stock air filter. I'm sure this won't be a popular post because of the fact that there are so many people here who've chosen the K&N filter. Because of that, I'm sure this will prove also be a controversial post too, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that I'm wrong about this.

SouLRioT
02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Maybe Lidio, or someone else could do a dyno of with drycharger and without on a stock car and a trilogy car. BTW I am running with out the drycharger.

BillyGman
02-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Maybe Lidio, or someone else could do a dyno of with drycharger and without on a stock car and a trilogy car. BTW I am running with out the drycharger.That isn't a bad idea, however, i think that the thing to do if you really want to get to the bottom of this, is to also do a dyno run with the stock intake set-up also vs. the K&N with the sock on it (ei the "Drycharger"). But that's alot of effort just to look into a relatively inexpensive modification such as this one is, so something tells me that it will never happen. So I guess people will simply have to go with their gut feeling on this, and I'm staying with my gut feeling.

Smokie
02-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Chuck, I think your wanting to install the K&N induction kit is a good idea and I personally feel that it will nudge your car in the 12's on bad days like the last time we ran (track temp. 90* running against a 8-10 mph wind head on) if you decide to get it I strongly urge you to get the Outerwear "sock".

For every day use it keeps out water and fine grit from sticking to your oiled cotton gauze filter, does it hinder performance ? probably a little bit, when I rev up my engine you can see the "sock" being drawn into the filter; so you know it slows down the air some. Would this matter in every day driving...I doubt it....should you remove the "sock" on those special ocassions ? You bet. Good luck with your decision.:)

Cobra25
02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Outer wear sock? What does it look like?

Smokie
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Outer wear sock? What does it look like?Like this.:)

Cobra25
02-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the pic Smokie! They say you learn something new every day. Today I did.

MENINBLK
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Here is Donny Carlson's Drycharger install on the K&N AirCharger...
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1136DSC01555.JPG

jstevens
02-16-2005, 06:43 PM
I had lidio do mine.
I was advised that since the MM filter is nice and high that dry charger is not really needed.

Plus, on K & N website it says there for personal watercraft.
These last 3 days in MI have been rainy as heck. So far no problem. I'm just going to run without it.

Smokie
02-16-2005, 06:49 PM
...Plus, on K & N website it says there for personal watercraft..In Florida your car is one of your personal watercraft. :lol:

RoyLPita
02-20-2005, 06:51 PM
BTW, with the K&N, the "WHOOSH" factor is multiplied by a factor of 5 (with or without a supercharger).

Just my .02 and then some.

Tallboy
05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Today Carfixer installed my K&N. It bumped my boost from a solid 9.5 psi to 10 psi. The whine of the Trilogy supercharger is definetly more noticeable. It's not intrusive, but I happen to like that sound. [Hell's coming with me, ya hear? HELL'S COMING WITH ME!] The car seems to "pull" even harder now than it did before, especially off the line/low speed accelerating situations. The quality, fit, finish, and appearance are second to none. This kit is worth every nickel. I am quite happy with my second performance mod. I will hold off on the smaller pulley. For now.

Thanks, carfixer. You're the man.:up:

Side note: A special thanks to Cobra25 for letting me watch his K&N being installed, and letting me drive his car afterward. It was this expirience that made my mind up.

bigslim
05-22-2005, 05:43 PM
The K&N bumped my boost to about 10.2 pds. You may have also picked up an extra 20 hp like I did. Good going.

DEFYANT
05-22-2005, 06:00 PM
This (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18413) thread has good info for those considering new induction. :D

jstevens
05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I recently added the sock as I saw some salt splash from winter around the chrome ring on the filter.

I think part number is RF1041DK. Cost was $33 including shipping.

I like the look and that now I don't have to cringe when I'm driving in the rain.

MARAUDER S/C #5
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
http://imagex.homedepot.com/f/248/13340/7d/www.homedepot.com/HDUS/EN_US/globalnav/images/top_right_header_image.gif (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fhomepage&BV_SessionID=@@@@2078535280.11 16894020@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddejlglihfcge lceffdfgidgmk.0&MID=9876) has good info for those considering new induction. :D
:lol: :poke: :rofl: :whistle:

Joe Walsh
05-23-2005, 05:44 PM
It's also called a "pre-filter" by some vendors, and it's the reason for my skepticism about those filters, and all the copycat ones that are like them. The filter manufactires claim that these are freer flowing, and result in better airflow than the stock filters. However, I have to wonder if their design actually is adequate for preventing dirt from entering your engine because of the fact that they do offer these sock type "pre-filters".

If they were adequate, then why would these companies even offer a "pre-filter"??? That just doesn't sound right to me. And if you use their pre-filter, then my guess would be that it's going to reduce airflow, which defeats the whole purpose from switching to these filters in the first place. Souds like a contradiction to me. I think I'm staying with the stock air filter. I'm sure this won't be a popular post because of the fact that there are so many people here who've chosen the K&N filter. Because of that, I'm sure this will prove also be a controversial post too, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that I'm wrong about this.

Billy, I agree 100%!

Someone here posted an Air Filter comparison (Diesel Truck filters actually, but the test included similar type 'high-flow' oiled gauze filters)....

All of the oiled gauze filters let in more dirt than the OEM filters!

I don't really care, as I want max airflow.....and I'm not going to run a sock/prefilter. I'll just clean my filter more often.

Smokie
05-23-2005, 06:24 PM
I have a conical cotton gauze filter and I don't promote them, I don't really care one way or another.

My thoughts on these filters are:

They flow better than OEM filter, fact.
They let in more fine dirt than OEM filter, fact.
The sock repels water, most conical filters are MORE exposed than filters in OEM airboxes.
The sock reduces air flow some, fact.
The sock DOES NOT make conical filters flow LESS them OEM, fact.

When I installed my intake air filter kit, my peak HP and TQ went up between 6-10 each.
The increase in HP and TQ under the curve was quite significant, about 16 and 25 at 3500 rpm's.

That's it, no opinions, just fact...you decide what pleases you and go with it.

Tallboy
05-27-2005, 07:17 AM
I have a conical cotton gauze filter and I don't promote them, I don't really care one way or another.

My thoughts on these filters are:

They flow better than OEM filter, fact.
They let in more fine dirt than OEM filter, fact.
The sock repels water, most conical filters are MORE exposed than filters in OEM airboxes.
The sock reduces air flow some, fact.
The sock DOES NOT make conical filters flow LESS them OEM, fact.

When I installed my intake air filter kit, my peak HP and TQ went up between 6-10 each.
The increase in HP and TQ under the curve was quite significant, about 16 and 25 at 3500 rpm's.

That's it, no opinions, just fact...you decide what pleases you and go with it.Good info, Smokie. I will probably not use a sock, since the only time my car sees rain is if I'm "caught" in it. I am very happy with my K&N. I hope to see you soon...:)

MENINBLK
05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
The DryCharger, sock to some of you guys, is a cover for the K&N Conical filter.
It allows the air to flow through while repelling water, and fine dust particles.
It is GOOD to cover your K&N Konical filter with a DryCharger
because it allows you to go further between cleanings since most of the fine dust
will be trapped on the outside of the DryCharger, where you can SEE IT.