PDA

View Full Version : wheel size and offset question

mrjones
02-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Just went down to our local Discount Tire to see if their price matched what Discount Tire Direct quoted. While I was there, I axt the guy I was talking to to quote me the next size up also, the 255/55's. We ended up discussing the different f/r tire sizes, and I told him yes, that it had different sizes now, but my plan is to put the same size front and rear when I replace the fronts - I'm only replacing the rears now. As the discussion went on he and his counter buddy (at least both of them knew what the Marauder was) both decided that I couldn't do that because the wheels were different sizes f/r. I said no, I think they're the same size. Then they said that they're different offsets f/r. He ended up calling Discount Tire Direct and the guy there told him that the wheel was "definetely different sizes front to rear.

Of course, I said "see ya" and went on my merry way. I did check the data plate on the car, and it very clearly lists the wheels as:

FR 7Z18X8.0J
RR 3Z18X8.0J

Although they're the same size, do the 7Z and 3Z indicate a different offset on the wheel? I've searched the archives, but didn't find this specifically mentioned. I know several people are running the same tire front and rear, and that's what I'm planning on doing. If we get to the point where the rear size is not as cheap to buy as it is now, I'm gonna go with the 255/55 all the way around. hey, this is east TX, the 4WD look is IN!

2003DOHC
02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
The wheels are the same 18X8 same offset and back spacing. If you have traction control you may have a problem with same size tires all around.

Thomas C Potter
02-15-2005, 08:47 PM
No problem with TCS if using same size tire f & r. Simply turn off TCS. If on, the TCS will kick-in at about 32 mph and cut off a few cylinders, very odd feeling the first time!

TP 03 B

Warpath
02-16-2005, 09:47 AM
The 3Z and 7Z may indicate which mold or tool made that wheel. OEs will put tool identification markings on parts so they know which tool created which parts in case one of the tools goes bad.

MENINBLK
02-16-2005, 10:45 AM
This is why some of us deal with TireRack...

I've dealt with some of the online tire dealers in my past, and none of them
gave me the same feeling of confidence that I got from dealing with Tirerack.

mrjones
02-16-2005, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=MENINBLK]This is why some of us deal with TireRack...

I'm probably gonna go with TireRack. Discount Tire Direct's price is about $30 higher than Tire Rack, but it includes mounting and balancing. I also thought that if I'm travelling and have a problem with a tire, it would be fairly easy to find a Discount Tire and have it taken care of. I can probably get the Rack's tires mounted and balanced for free or very cheap, so they would still be cheaper.

I just went back to double check, and now Discount Tire's website says they have no tires in that size! Maybe just a site glitch, but it's still irritating.

I've pretty much heard only good things about Tire Rack. One of their warehouses is in Shreveport, LA. It's less than two hours from here, and I could probably convince my wife to ride over and visit the boats (gambling) while were there. Only thing is, that's gonna make the tires WAY more expensive!!

MENINBLK
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
MrJones,

If you are buying a set of wheels and tires, Tirerack will mount and balance the tires on those wheels for FREE.
They will be shipped to your door, ready to be put on your Marauder.
I purchased my Winter Shoes this way, and I was very happy to see them come all wrapped up and ready to be mounted on the Marauder.
The only mistake that was made was not shipping me the center caps,
and an email to Cy got the center caps shipped next day.

The tires have been excellent on the show, slush and ice.
The Balance is perfect and the fit is as close as you can get to the caliper.
Centering rings for the wheels were included in the purchase also.