PDA

View Full Version : PI Crash caught live--Need help.

SergntMac
02-15-2003, 04:45 PM
This past Wednesday AM, a severe weather front hit the Chicagoland area, and news crews were out covering it. CLTV, our local 24 hours news channel covered it live, when a state police cruiser took a rear end collision at high speed. Devasting live video was broadcast for breakfast, and I have the 2:04 news clip as an AVI file. It's really something to watch, but it's also 112 MB file. I would like to clip it down to the meat of the story, the video of the crash, and compress it as an MPE, but haven't the skills or software to do it justice. Can anyone here volunteer to help? It will take a while to transfer to you, but the raw footage is really worth it.

Taking this blast in the a** only proves how SAFE the CVPI/Panther platform really is. Cop was taken from the scene by ambulance, but he is okay now, and I had to wait on this until I knew for sure. Citizen in his car walked away, offender, of course, was a suspended/DUI bloke out skating on black ice. This video is something to see, would like to post a cropped clip here for us all to share.

Help???? Drop me a line at SergntMac@aol.com if you can take the clip and strroke it for us. Please include your screen name in the request. If it's better to work with the raw video, I can forward a VHS tape as you wish.

Thanks, be safe.

Logan
02-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Sending you a email.

mtnh
02-15-2003, 05:27 PM
I saw that clip 3 times out of Boston. Incredible evidence that the CV is a safe cop car. I just read that he parents of the NYSP that got killed in december in a rear-ender on the highway are sueing everyone involved in his crash. From the Ford Motor Co. to the leasing agency of the fleet, the other drivers, etc. They want 250M from FMC alone. But video evidence is indisputable. That IHP cruiser in Chi-town was hit with alot of force, and the car held to its design and stayed cold.

Mike

MM03MOK
02-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Mac,

I watched the news Wed. just to catch that video. Unbelievable!! If the bus hadn't been there for that vehicle to roll off, it could have been so much worse. So glad the officer wasn't hurt. Hard to believe looking at the clip. Definitely worth sharing. And you were right - that other stations would pick it up.

RCSignals
02-16-2003, 12:43 AM
havn't seen it on the NEWS here.

SergntMac
02-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Much thanks goes out to Logan and GJA.

I'm sending out hard copy video tape and CDRoms to both, and hopefully, by the end of this week, we'll have something decent to see in the Gallery.

Thanks to all for your guidance.

cyclone03
02-16-2003, 06:52 PM
I'm sure it's the same clip I saw on the news Wed.Or Thurs. night.
SgtMac I thought the same thing about the safety of the car.Was the officer from your Dept.?Anybody know if the car was a 2003?

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 06:37 AM
I see that GJA has posted an edited REAL file of my tape in the photo gallery, but I can't get it to work at my end. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it waiting to be approved.

GJA sent me an edited .WMV file that's abot 1.85 MB, anyone want a copy, the up/fdown load time here is about 8 min. Write me at sergntmac@aol.com and I'll get that out to you when I can.

I do wish there was an easier way to do this...any ideas?

Mark McQuaide
02-25-2003, 06:38 AM
The real fine worked fine for me.

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
The real fine worked fine for me.

Still isn't working for me, please tell me how you got it to work???

nomad
02-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Don.t know,Sarge. I have Windows, click on Real, hit download button,
when you see the I.E. box, I hit play from current location.
Worked for me. Sounds a little poor, but video's O.K.

SergntMac
02-25-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm using Windows '98SE, and AOL 5.0 here, so, go figure...S**t!

Well, as long as the y'all get to see it, I guess that's all that matters, eh?

My point, was the crash, and the Panther platform's durability against high speed impacts. No fire, no serious injury, and that is all that matters to me.

Thanks agina, Logan and GJA for getting this out to us.

Y'all be safe...That's MY point.

jefferson-mo
02-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Yeah Sarge I can't get it to work either but I saw it on the LA news that night...................

RCSignals
02-25-2003, 11:15 PM
here is another PI rear crash with no fire

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1147477&nav=0qq6EBP1

martyo
02-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Sarge: I think if you "search" for Real player, you can get a free download for the proper player and viola! you'll be watching the video. That's what I did and it worked...

If you still have trouble let me know.

Thanks for initiating the arrangements for getting the video to the rest of us.

RCSignals
02-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Here is another story from a recent crash in VA no fire

Man killed, trooper seriously injured in I-81 crash

One man was killed and a Virginia State Police trooper was seriously injured this morning in a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 81 in Botetourt County.

The wreck happened about 3:40 a.m. at northbound mile marker 159 when a tanker truck driver lost control and smashed into the rear of the trooper's cruiser before overturning. Trooper Angel Graham was parked on the right shoulder behind a van she had stopped for a traffic violation.

The tanker driver, Thomas Bradley Hurt, 51, of Hardy died at the scene, police said. Graham was flown to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where she was listed in serious condition.

Three or four people who were in the van received minor injuries. Sgt. Bob Ross was unsure of their identities but said they were from Ohio and were all treated and released from the hospital.

Haz-Mat crews will be working for hours to clean up more than 7,000 gallons of diesel fuel that spilled down an embankment and into a small creek that parallels the interstate.