PDA

View Full Version : Thread Closures

Billatpro
02-16-2003, 11:37 AM
At the risk of being identified as "dissident" I am often left wondering why some threads are closed. I realize this is not an "Open Forum" in the broadest sense and that civility is to be maintained.

Case in point is the "Chipped" thread, closed because?? Off topic? flaming? what? It was an off topic thread to begin with and seemed to be civil as it went along. Are we to be so sweet of speech as to become without opposed opinion?

Censorship has always been a double edged sword and it,s justification "for the good of all" but non the less it cuts to a basic freedom. This is not a run at you Logan, it is no more then "out loud" thinking rather then an objection.

I come here as a friend and to meet people with a common interest, to share ideas, opinions and thoughts and some times to disagree, it's a healthy thing I think.

Bear in mind all this is with respect and gratitude, you have done an amazing thing here and I am very happy you did.

SergntMac
02-16-2003, 12:23 PM
I appreciate what you're saying, Bill, and any "freedom of speech" must be protected by the speakers. Even the Courts recognize that this freedom does not allow one to shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

As one involved in the thread, I feel it was appropriate to close the topic. All ammends have been made, and good has grown from a better understanding between those involved. This forum is light years ahead of others, but it didn't get here without it's growing pains. I, for one, have learned how to handle disagreement better, and that makes the "censorship" both responsible and productive.

Billatpro
02-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Yes Mac, what you say is right and perhaps the closure was appropriate, I would have liked to lent my own .02 cents worth to that thread but I did not get the chance.

My point was less about "Freedom of speech" and more about the free flowing of ideas and exchange of opinions. Short of a flaming free for all I just think a given topic should allowed to die of it's own accord.
I am not challanging any "responsible and Productive" actions by a moderator but rather a hasty decision in some cases.

Logan
02-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Bill,

I appreciate the comments. Sometimes I'll close threads that have gone off topic, sometimes I'll close them because the discussion has been inflammatory, Sometimes you won't know why they're closed because I've deleted offensive content or deleted the beginnings of a flame war. When at all possible and appropriate, I'll post the reason prior to closing the thread.

With the thread you mention, you didn't see some of the thread because portions of it were removed or edited. It ultimately was closed because A) It was off-topic and B) It was a potentially volatile thread that I had received complaints on. C) Everyone had said their peace.

As far as free-speech goes, this is a private website with posted privacy policies, disclaimers and usage agreements. Free-speech simply doesn't apply here. Whenever you post comments to this site you're giving mercurymarauder.net a no-charge assignment of all rights associated with the post. In short, once you post the comments, they're no longer owned by you. Anyway, this is all clearly detailed in the usage agreements and disclaimers posted on the site and agreed to when each user signs up.

The reason the site is run the way it is, is mainly because, I for one, simply HATE the crap that goes on on other forums and am insistent that this forum be one that is respectful of the thoughts, opinions and civility of other users.

All that being said, I'm closing this thread because I really don't care to have a grand discussion regarding the site policies or the legitimacy of them. They're there, they're not going to change, anyone who doesn't like it... Well... Tough. :D

Anyone is more than welcome to send comments directly to me at logan@mercurymarauder.net

PS - You're not a dissedent, you're a guy asking questions. That's healthy. :D