PDA

View Full Version : VERY excessive amount of water from tailpipes...

Constable
02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I've had my Kooks exhaust system on for quite some time now. It's been real good to me; produced great power and great sound. I've never had any issues with the normal "water drip" until today.

My brother was following behind me after I had left the driveway. The typical drip blew out when I accelerated. He called and told me that the drip never stopped and became more of a "constant flow". The moisture was just running out at all times. This worried me a lot. I've been driving this car for almost two years and have never seen this happen. The full exhaust has been on the car for almost that whole time.

Any input?? Let it be known that I had given this car a very healthy workout earlier in the day. It had been sitting for a few weeks before that... due to nasty weather here.

P.S. - I'm perfectly aware of what is "normal" for these cars. I'm telling you right now that this was in no way NORMAL.

teamrope
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
We had the same thing (sort of) the last time Mrs TR's car went to the dealer. I followed her out when she picked it up and water was literally pouring out of her pipes when she took of.

I doubt that the Kooks have anything to do with it. With the exception of the delete tips she is still running stock.

jgc61sr2002
02-18-2005, 04:46 PM
If you let you Marauder idle water will build up in the exhaust system and on acceleration it will be forced out. Compare your Marauder with another. The more air entering the engine = more condensation. IMO.

Constable
02-18-2005, 05:09 PM
If you let you Marauder idle water will build up in the exhaust system and on acceleration it will be forced out. Compare your Marauder with another. The more air entering the engine = more condensation. IMO.

I know what you're talking about and this is NOT it. The car was not idling and there was no time for the condensation to build up. This was a very abnormal situation. Water was literally flowing from the left tailpipe. I remember reading someone's post of a similar situation, but I can't seem to find the thread now.

I also doubt that it has anything to do with Kooks... I just figured I'd put this in their exhaust forum. Moderators: place this thread wherever you feel appropriate.

merc406
02-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I know what you're talking about and this is NOT it. The car was not idling and there was no time for the condensation to build up. This was a very abnormal situation. Water was literally flowing from the left tailpipe. I remember reading someone's post of a similar situation, but I can't seem to find the thread now.

I also doubt that it has anything to do with Kooks... I just figured I'd put this in their exhaust forum. Moderators: place this thread wherever you feel appropriate.

Well, if you think it's anything other than condensation, better check the radiator fluid.
Blocked hole of the left muffler?

Smokie
02-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Have you considered the possibilty of vandalism ?

Bigdogjim
02-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Outside shot you might have backed into a snow bank?

Kids fill your tail pipe with snow???????

Let us know:confused:

MarauderMark
02-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Outside shot you might have backed into a snow bank?

Kids fill your tail pipe with snow???????

Let us know:confused:

Ahh go man anyone can see it's the starter..:lol:

FordNut
02-18-2005, 08:19 PM
I've seen some pretty big puddles left at the tree when Marauders launch. I doubt it's anything serious. Usually it's worse when they sit in the staging lanes and cool off. When they are up to operating temperature, the water evaporates instead of pouring out.

Constable
02-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I've seen some pretty big puddles left at the tree when Marauders launch. I doubt it's anything serious. Usually it's worse when they sit in the staging lanes and cool off. When they are up to operating temperature, the water evaporates instead of pouring out.

I had thought of this, too... but when I looked down at the gauge, the engine was all warmed up. This thing is baffling me. First time it's ever happened like this.

MENINBLK
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
For what it is worth, I have noticed that the Maraduer does make a lot of STEAM from the exhaust,
particularly after you shut it down,and it rests for a few minutes.
The Exhaust Tips look like smoking guns !!!

All that Steam could very well condense very quickly with the cold weather we have been having.
I would say, given the cool to freezing temps we have been having, that what you are seeing is normal.
The humidity has also been up over the last week, and that can also add to the amount of water condensation you are seeing.

Another thought...

My Marauder sits in my driveway, which is on an incline.
I usually park it so the nose is highest.
This allows anything in the pipes to run out towards the back and out any water holes.
If your Marauder is parked with the nose down, the water would collect
since there aren't any water holes in the front of the mufflers or the pipes.

Constable
02-18-2005, 09:59 PM
It's not the steam issue... that's normal. It has nothing to do with sitting idling and having water collect in the system... it wasn't sitting at idle. This issue is about AFTER the initial "normal" condensation had already been blown WAY out of my exhaust system, a constant flow of water KEPT coming and did not stop. It was like a constant waterfall.

I'm guessing none of you have seen this problem yet, because everything you all are posting is the known "normal" stuff for our cars to do (and CVPI's from experience). Once mor eI will say that this particular occurrence was not the NORM for an MM. It was quite abnormal. I'm not some dork behind a computer that *thinks* he knows about his car; I AM my car. IT is me. Take my word for it that this incident was freakish. I'll be dropping her off at the dealership if it happens again tomorrow. I have a terrible gut feeling that this may have something to do with my motor... ugh...

P.S. - I found the post I was talking about before!!

A timely thread. My daughter was behind me as I was driving up from Mt Vernon after a steady 70+ mph run from Seattle and she asked my later why I would have water coming out of both tail pipes (more on the left, she said).
The car was well heated up and I was clippin' along and she said the water flow was constant but that there was more of it when I accelerated. I have difficulty attributing this to cool weather, but I don't have any explanation other than condensation.
Never had a car do this before. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

MENINBLK
02-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, I can't see water blowing out the exhaust from the engine's water jacket.
If anything you would see bubbles in the radiator/reservoir when accelerating.
You may even see the hoses swell up from the added pressure that the engine will pump
into the water jacket, if there is a break in a gasket or block.

The only way I can see something actually running into the exhaust is if you have an INTERNAL break in the head,
and its on an exhaust valve guide, that is allowing coolant to run down on the exhaust side of the head.

The only way you can check for this, would be to heat up the engine,
shut it down, unbolt the header, and then pressurize the water jacket.
If you see coolant running down the side of the block from an exhaust port,
then you've foud a bad head, with an internal crack.

I'm not even sure if its possible because I don't know the routing of the coolant through the head...

B.C. Bake
02-18-2005, 10:27 PM
OK. Take it from me, for shure it's confubillator leaking from the shrader valve!!!!!

Constable
02-18-2005, 10:31 PM
good info... we'll see what the dealer has to say (although I can hear it already: "That's just normal".)

jparrie
02-19-2005, 04:52 AM
I have seen my marauder do both. Blow steam, and pump water. I assume it is dependent on many factors as to which it does. Driving habits, weather, who knows what else.

But... the bottom line is the water can come from only two sources. condensation, or the cooling system. If the cooling system has the proper fill, I would not worry about it.

It's not the steam issue... that's normal. It has nothing to do with sitting idling and having water collect in the system... it wasn't sitting at idle. This issue is about AFTER the initial "normal" condensation had already been blown WAY out of my exhaust system, a constant flow of water KEPT coming and did not stop. It was like a constant waterfall.

I'm guessing none of you have seen this problem yet, because everything you all are posting is the known "normal" stuff for our cars to do (and CVPI's from experience). Once mor eI will say that this particular occurrence was not the NORM for an MM. It was quite abnormal. I'm not some dork behind a computer that *thinks* he knows about his car; I AM my car. IT is me. Take my word for it that this incident was freakish. I'll be dropping her off at the dealership if it happens again tomorrow. I have a terrible gut feeling that this may have something to do with my motor... ugh...

P.S. - I found the post I was talking about before!!

Bradley G
02-19-2005, 05:35 AM
My wife daily drives the MM to work.I met her after work to grocery shop.She had previously driven the car over twenty miles to meet me.As we left the parking lot later ( 45min) I was following her and witnessed the same thing you describe.Both tips had water pouring out of them, not just a trickle.

I was shocked to see that much water,after the car was basically pretty warm.
I am not Flaming your expertice,Just reporting what I saw.
Bradley G

Marauderjack
02-19-2005, 06:59 AM
One gallon of gasoline generates about a gallon of water vapor.....When it is cold outside the tailpipes don't get hot enough to keep the water vaporized and it condenses over the axle and in the large tips!! If it is cold enough the curve in front of the axle can be completely full of water and high exhaust flow is the only way to blow it out!! :o Nothing to worry about IMHO?? :confused:

Do your mufflers have "Weep Holes" like the stock ones?? If not this will also add to the water flow out the back!! :( You may want to drill a couple of holes at the back and bottom of each muffler?? :cool:

Marauderjack :)

wesman
02-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I have seen this before. I saw a police car that had been idling for a long time at a radar trap pull away and it seemed like a milk jug of water came out of each tailpipe. It was a cold day.
Constable I think the engine temp gauge can be warm but the exhaust system at the back of the car relatively 'cold'.

Heavy351
02-19-2005, 11:42 AM
I used to have a pair of supertrapps on a custom bent exhaust on my old cop car and you could hear the exhaust tone change as the water made its way out throught the baffle discs.

Much more would accumulate if I made a series of short, low speed trips and the car never really warmed up. I worked at a job less than 3 miles away and noticed lots of water discharge. A big pair of streaks everytime I went home.

If you blew the water jacket at the head gasket you would also see white smoke and run out of coolant farly quickly. Not to mention the car would run like crap. if you cracked the head and somehow you were driving around with it leaking coolant to the exhaust ports the steam would be incredible and again you would be out of coolant fairly quickly.

The Kooks setup may for whatever reason run cooler than the stock setup causing more condensation in your particular weather. Also without any weep holes the water will pile up between the motor and the arch over the rear axle.

I would find the weep holes and clear them, If there arent any, add some.

Constable
02-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I have seen this before. I saw a police car that had been idling for a long time at a radar trap pull away and it seemed like a milk jug of water came out of each tailpipe. It was a cold day.
Constable I think the engine temp gauge can be warm but the exhaust system at the back of the car relatively 'cold'.

That's an entirely different situation. At work, my car sits at idle for hours sometimes. The water builds up so much that you can hear the gurgles and sloshing water inside the mufflers. The difference is that it only takes one or two good snaps of the throttle to blow it all out. My M just never stops producing water....

I'm going to let this thread die now. If I come up with anything that wasn't already posted, I'll report back. Thakns for all your input.

merc406
02-19-2005, 02:35 PM
It looks like your right by the shore, humid all the time? It would take quite a few miles to burn out all the water trapped in them pipes if you don't have them holes open in the mufflers.

wchain
02-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Secretly MMs are Hydrogen......

BillyGman
03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I know how late I am arriving at this thread, but if this problem still hasn't been figured out, then in light of what Merc has stated about the possibility of coolant being in your exhaust, I'd suggest that you check the oil level on the dipstick. If it's higher than it was before, and if there's a milky appearence of the oil on the stick, then the coolant is definately getting passed the head gaskets and into the oil, and possibly into the exhaust as well. That would indicate a blown head gasket. I hope this helps.