PDA

View Full Version : Fine scratchs and spider webbing

Marauder2005
02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Hello all, My Marauder got a nice wash on Saturday, but
<FONT color=black>At the cost of fine scratch’s and spider webbing. I forgot my<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P style= Wash mitt and my buddy had his. I was reluctant to use it cause<o:p></o:p>
I am so careful (no car washes etc.) He told me he only uses it on<o:p></o:p>
His brand new GMC pickup. Well..... It looks like I washed my car with<o:p></o:p>
a leaf rake. I am so pissed. So my question is what do you guys recommend<o:p></o:p>
To remove scratch’s? I’ve heard I should use 3M Foam Glaze scratch remover.<o:p></o:p>
Any thoughts? Or should I just go get it professionally buffed? <o:p></o:p>

Thanks <o:p></o:p>

-Mike<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

FordNut
02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
If you're lucky you can get it buffed and they won't make it worse than what you have now.

Believe it or not, Zaino will make the scratches invisible. They won't necessarily be gone, but you won't be able to see them. Zaino lasts a long time, too... unless you use strong detergent and/or hot water to wash it (just use the Zaino wash solution with warm or cold water).

CRUZTAKER
02-20-2005, 06:01 PM
You are not the only one to have this happen.:depress:

I see you have an '03. A 300a early build perhaps?

We are the victims of piss poor paint jobs. Mine appears the same way if I do not periodically wax it.

I found that Meguires 'SCRATCH-X' fine scratch and swirl mark remover works well on the shallow marks. It is easy to use by hand or orbital for the entire car application. Rub well, repeat.

For spot work, really bad, deep areas, I use '3M SWIRL MARK REMOVER' for dark cars.
This stuff is not practical for the lamen to use on the entire car. It must be applied and removed via high speed buffer. But...for spot areas, apply with your fingers. NEVER USE A TOWEL OR APPLICATOR. Rub vigorously with your thumb or fore fingers until the product turns from dark grey to clear liquid, almost water like. Allow to dry afterward, and remove witha 100% cotton towel, or better yet, what I do, leave it on the car and wax right over that area when you are ready to do the entire car.

BruteForce
02-20-2005, 06:15 PM
[...fine scratch’s and spider webbing.

I feel for ya brother. :depress:

Every time I work on the finish on this car I end up telling' myself "I gotta get this :censor: repainted someday." It is pi$$ poor paint.

Paul T. Casey
02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I also feel your pain, mine was pretty poor from day one. The easiest way I've found to make it look a little better is to use the Turtle Wax Color Cure polish. It don't last very long, but it helps a little. I've also seen some good results with the Zaino, although I have never used it myself. Best solution for me is to save my pennies, and save my dimes, and give it to a good paint shop.

Marauder2005
02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
You are not the only one to have this happen.:depress:

I see you have an '03. A 300a early build perhaps?

We are the victims of piss poor paint jobs. Mine appears the same way if I do not periodically wax it.

I found that Meguires 'SCRATCH-X' fine scratch and swirl mark remover works well on the shallow marks. It is easy to use by hand or orbital for the entire car application. Rub well, repeat.

For spot work, really bad, deep areas, I use '3M SWIRL MARK REMOVER' for dark cars.
This stuff is not practical for the lamen to use on the entire car. It must be applied and removed via high speed buffer. But...for spot areas, apply with your fingers. NEVER USE A TOWEL OR APPLICATOR. Rub vigorously with your thumb or fore fingers until the product turns from dark grey to clear liquid, almost water like. Allow to dry afterward, and remove witha 100% cotton towel, or better yet, what I do, leave it on the car and wax right over that area when you are ready to do the entire car.
You’re right on the mark Taker. Yes it’s an early 300a, Ill have to
Pick up a "Scratch X" and I am going to order the Zaino kit #2 with clayBar... This is off topic but on my Marauder when I bought theCar there are a few white dots. The dealer told me they were resultsOf acid rain...Well I had a 96 Lincoln Town Car before a Black one. It looks the same as when you get clouds on the paint.... Know what I am talking about? Where the paint comes off and the little dots just get bigger and bigger...Ends up looking like plain primmer and resembles a white cloud...I hope this is not the problem what do you think?.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p></FONT></P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Mike Poore
02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
professionally buffed? ...Thanks -Mike Mike we bought, on the recomendation of Brutus and others, the Meguires hand buffer kit. I think it's a PorterCable machine and it works wonders. There's a thread about it from last fall. Get one of 'em, you won't be sorry. BTW, the paint on Brutus' black MM is as good as any I've seen. :)

here's their website: http://www.meguiars.com/

Here's the polisher: http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-100&store=meg

jgc61sr2002
02-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Barry is an expert in scratch removal. I saw him in action.

David Morton
02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Sorry about your luck. I have a 2004 and the clearcoat has been fine all by itself, no waxing needed. I wash it and the water beads up like it was waxed. I'd have it buffed if I were you.

I learned a long time ago the truth about "soft cloth" car washing from an old black man working in the back for new car prep. Never use a cloth, mitt, wool fleece, chamios or anything that can pick up the sand and scour the paint. Use a brush. I do, have never used anything else on it, and I have no fine scratches that show up at night in the parking lot lights or that you see near the sunburst reflection in the daytime. I also got a squeegee, the one Turtlewax makes, because I don't have to spend so much time with the freshly washed towel I do the final dry with. Be carefull with the towel too, it can do the same thing with the sand that the wash mitt does, namely, scour my paint with fine scratches!

Marauder2005
02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry about your luck. I have a 2004 and the clearcoat has been fine all by itself, no waxing needed. I wash it and the water beads up like it was waxed. I'd have it buffed if I were you.

I learned a long time ago the truth about "soft cloth" car washing from an old black man working in the back for new car prep. Never use a cloth, mitt, wool fleece, chamios or anything that can pick up the sand and scour the paint. Use a brush. I do, have never used anything else on it, and I have no fine scratches that show up at night in the parking lot lights or that you see near the sunburst reflection in the daytime. I also got a squeegee, the one Turtlewax makes, because I don't have to spend so much time with the freshly washed towel I do the final dry with. Be carefull with the towel too, it can do the same thing with the sand that the wash mitt does, namely, scour my paint with fine scratches!
Hmm some good advice there....What do you mean by brush? like those
broom style brushes?

CRUZTAKER
02-20-2005, 08:23 PM
The Porter Cable buffer is the Mercedes of buffers...IE. I don't have one!:P

Honestly, with this particular black car, I no longer use my vast array of buffers. It's all done by hand.

I failed to mention the clay bar. You're right, this is a must! And you may even incorporate it into a yearly ritual after a serious de-waxer with DOVE dish soap.

If this will be your first time around. I would wash the car with a quality mit using a heavy mixture Dove dish soap and hot azz water. Then claybar with a quality lubricant such as Meguires detailers wax. Wash again with dove. And then start the waxing process of starting with either a quality cleaner wax, or in the case of a ton of scratches, Scratch-x. A buffer will definately help. But the arm workout is healthy. Hell, spread it out over two days if you must.

Once prepped, and relatively scratch free, no matter who's wax you use, I have to recommend Zainos Z-1 Show car Polish Lok. I always use this before my big time wax. I use Meguires Gold, and NXT exclusively. I like the Zaino as well, and in no way want to start another wax debate. USE WHAT MAKES YOU WOOD....well...you know! As long as you prep correctly, apply liberally, and LOK it in...your black Marauder POS paint job will look dayum good, and get a ton of compliments.:beatnik:

BTW: After you get that final coat of whomever's show car wax off....DO IT AGAIN!!!
Two coats baby...always two coats.

David Morton
02-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Hmm some good advice there....What do you mean by brush? like those
broom style brushes?Oral-B makes the best brush that won't scratch the car and it doubles as a toothbrush! :D

Just kidding, I got mine at Wal-Mart and it's blue and it looks like a giant dishwashing brush about three feet long except the bristles are soft ended. I use the Mr. Clean car washing kit, but I never got any of the replacement stuff, I now use Lemon Joy and the squeegee and the towel.

Marauder2005
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Oral-B makes the best brush that won't scratch the car and it doubles as a toothbrush! :D

Just kidding, I got mine at Wal-Mart and it's blue and it looks like a giant dishwashing brush about three feet long except the bristles are soft ended. I use the Mr. Clean car washing kit, but I never got any of the replacement stuff, I now use Lemon Joy and the squeegee and the towel.
HAHA thanks guys, and thanks for the "scratchs 101" process
Taker:D

Captain Steve
02-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm gonna chime in on the brush thing.

I picked up a wash brush with a hollow handle at Pep Boys that the hose attaches to. You turn the water on, get all the dust off the brush and proceed to soap down the car. I then rinse the car by going over it with the water on through the brush. It gets the car nice and clean.

Then I dry it off with the leaf blower.:coolman:

Todd
02-21-2005, 08:13 PM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=66073

Above is the olny brush I would ever use on any car. Especially a black one. I have used it on my last 3 cars including my black mustang. In fact I use lots of their products. But the brush is what I get most use from...

Just my .02...

David Morton
02-22-2005, 12:15 AM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=66073

Above is the olny brush I would ever use on any car. Hah, hah! They screwed up bigtime on that site when they let on about catching and shaving the boar for the boars hair.

Down here in the South we got plenty of boars roamin' all over! I'll just go wrassle my own boar, thank ye very much! :D