PDA

View Full Version : Traction Device Question

Booger
02-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Is there a Detroit Locker available for the Marauder? I use this in my truck and it provides an INCREDIBLE lock and AWESOME traction.

Just wondering......

Boog

FordNut
02-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Yes, it is available. Most people prefer a smooth, quiet posi, but I know what you mean about a great lockup. I've got one in my truck too, but I don't think I want my Marauder to pop and shift when it unloads on corners.

Booger
02-17-2003, 08:43 AM
Hmmmm.......

The locker in my truck is very quiet. They did use the silencer fluid, maybe that's it, not sure....

I can surely see where it would be audible in a car though. I just love the positive lock and awesome traction.

What rear axle is in the Marauder?

LincMercLover
02-17-2003, 01:31 PM
3.55 8.8" most are switching to a 4.10

FordNut
02-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Maybe you've got a soft-locker instead of the original Detroit locker? I'm on my second one of the original type in my truck and they have both worked the same way. On dry pavement, going around sharp corners, either the inside tire squalls or the locker unloads with a loud "POW" and the rear of the truck shifts slightly.

Booger
02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
The inside tire spins in turns, but I never have the loud noises. No doubt in my mind it's the Detroit Locker. Maybe it's the difference in the truck weight, mine's a Nissan.

SergntMac
02-17-2003, 04:46 PM
I recall lockers from 30-35 years ago, and unless they too have changed remarkably over the years, a "true" Detroit locker would quite uncomfortable for you, and quite hard on this car. It's 4200 pounds, and begs for fun in the twisties, I would expect you would have to upgrade a lot of associated components, like axels, bearings, and so on, or, agree to drive only in a straight line...

gja
02-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Hmmmm, unloads with a loud POP or skreechs the tire. I am gonna side with Mac on this and say this would likely impart a less than desirable trait to a car whose road manners are impeccable.
The last thing I want to do is add a part that could cause undue wear and tear on other associated componentry. I can almost hear the 'warranty void' from a dealers lips on that.

Booger
02-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Sounds like the best thing is just to stick with the limited slip. I sure like that positive lock though. Makes for one heck of a launch. =)

SergntMac
02-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Booger
Is there a Detroit Locker available for the Marauder? I use this in my truck and it provides an INCREDIBLE lock and AWESOME traction.
Just wondering......Boog

Well, Boog, if you are still interested in something "better" than factory, you may find this interesting...Seems a fair price.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/shm_maraudinfo_pg1.shtml