PDA

View Full Version : Last chance to tell secrets

CRUZTAKER
02-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I spent the day off searching this entire forum for absolutely all the info I could find regarding your "Custom Badge" experiences. With that avenue done; I have reviewed the posted images, until I can see them in my dreams, that avenue done. I PM'd some of the senior members, that avenue done. No need to bother them anymore.

Either it is a secret, or it was just never finalized, or I am just plain missing something.

I am about to go outside and dremmel my flippen badges off!

Atleast the rear, that one makes sense. Although I am concerned about the soon to be open edges of the former waterfall detail not being completely concealed when the Wheel center cap is placed inside. Maybe you all DID finally use the platform badge from a late model Marquis? It is hard to tell from the photos. It seems the god head center cap might stick out and look a little goofy...you know, overdone. It would be far better INSIDE the existing badge.

As far as the front, the center cap doesn't even BEGIN to fill the center of the existing badge, leaving quite a bit of unfinished area showing. Also, dremmeling the waterfall off the front bagde looks as though it might actually destroy the center mounting tab (for 10mm screw) as the waterfall parts of the badge are not flush with the rest of the body of the existing badge.

As far as front pictures posted, I can't figure out what was used to fill the excess cir***france around the center cap.

Help....?
:confused:

Slowpoke
02-17-2003, 09:54 AM
remember to remove the badge from the car before using dremmel. Front badge can be dremmeled carefully, leaving more than enough material to support the screw. [remove from car first]

Also, I forgot to mention that I also used dremmel on back of gods head 'coin' to make fitting flush a bit easier. When you buy the center caps from Ford they are flat on the back and convex on the front. I made the back concave by getting rid of extra material.

good luck and be careful.

Slowpoke
02-17-2003, 09:56 AM
also, you are right about the front badge being too large for the 'coin'. I simply filled in this area with black silicone. I am not thrilled with the front badge and when time permits I will come up with a solution, but in the meantime its fine with me.

Slowpoke
02-18-2003, 02:34 PM
well........ how did it go?

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 04:53 PM
I ran out of time. Mommy got home and I still had not finished shoveling the driveway....guess I got sidetracked.

I am gonna do the rear though, and personally, I was not thinking of taking it off first. I use the dremmel alot and am pretty handy with it. Besides, the trunk lid will hold it place. I will mask the trunk lid for debris, and use the air hose to remove spent material.

I will let you know.

Thanks for all the replys and PM 's to this thread and me.

Slowpoke
02-18-2003, 05:08 PM
if you insist on leaving badge on car when using dremmel you may want to use cardboard to mask off areas of the trunk incase dremmel slips. silicone may 'leak' down from gravity. also.... just so you know, i think i spent at least 45 minutes doing each badge because i wanted to go very very slow so i did not carve off too much. you may also ant to use masking take to protect outer crome.

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Yeah Slowpoke, you are right. I will still think it over before I do it.
I am really steady though.
What scares me more is pulling that badge off. Man, I have done it before on other cars and came real close to disaster. Besides, too cold for the adhesive I intend to use. I'll wait