PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axel Shafts

ghost03
02-28-2005, 02:08 PM
:banghead: I had my 4.10's installed the other day and while the tech was installing them he noticed that my rear axel shafts were bad. He said that it usually happens on the 03 models especially on crown vics. I had mine swaped out through warrenty. Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone to have them checked out before warrenty expires. There were some metal shavings on the nut when the fluid was refilled buy luckily not enough to do damage to the rest of the rear end. BY the way Thanks Brian for all your help and to Bill and Mark for hanging out for the install.

ole69
02-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Too late for me(If it applies to my MY),my car was at Miami Lincoln Mercury for 1-1/2weeks.Getting all of my END of warranty work done.My car's extended warranty expired at 75Kmi.So I had as much done legally that would be covered.I wish I saw this last week before she got out.Now I'm over 75Kmi...... :confused:

shakes_26
02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Those axle shafts were covered under the TSB for the early 03 cars, its been covered here before. Lucky you ahd ti done a t the dealership otherwise a 2nd trip and more gear lube 4 u

Any noise from the gears? How about at speed?

jgc61sr2002
02-28-2005, 07:09 PM
The TSB was on vehicles built before 1-1-2003.

Murader03
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Too late for me(If it applies to my MY),my car was at Miami Lincoln Mercury for 1-1/2weeks.Getting all of my END of warranty work done.My car's extended warranty expired at 75Kmi.So I had as much done legally that would be covered.I wish I saw this last week before she got out.Now I'm over 75Kmi...... :confused:

There is a TSB on this problem with the shafts, etc. It is not MM specific but deals with the CrownVic and GrandM. However, it also deals with the PI axles and housing which the MM uses. I just had mine done and IAW the procedures in the TSB, they rebuilt the limited slip first. Didn't cure the axle noise, so on the second trip, they replaced the axles ana bearings....

ghost03
02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
No noise at all. As for the speed there is a problem. I believe the tune I got from Dennis is no good.I got in touch with Lidio and I'll be sending him my tuner so he can insert his custom tune. I havnt been able to even spin the tires. Zo test drove the car to make sure i wasnt crazy and he said the same thing. Kinda disappointed but Im sure with the right tune I'll be burning the tires off the rim.