PDA

View Full Version : Getting some new wheels, need tires

Sully008
03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Okay, after a lot of debating, it came down to three choices:

1. Marauder wheels
2. LX Sport wheels
3. Aftermarket wheels

As much as I like the Marauder wheels, I couldn't find a set that was in my price range. The LX Sport wheels weren't "sport" enough for me. So I went hunting for a set of aftermarket ones and came out with these (BTW, I showed all three choices to my girlfriend and she liked these the best :D, plus they were the least expensive choice):

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmvr5.sm.ang.jpg

18x 7.5, 5-114.3, 48mm offset.

Here's the usual photshop on my CV:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58 08&stc=1

Now, does anybody have a tire recommendation? I'm looking more for a decent quiet ride instead of all out performance.

mpearce
03-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Those wheels are pretty cool...but ask yourself this...

How cool would it be to roll around town in your new ride with a set of brand new Marauder wheels?

Just my two cents...and only take it as that please...

Your new baby...the 04 CVLX...you love this car. It was a huge investment. You'll have this car around for a quite a long time. Obviously you're proud of it. Have some patience, and get the oem Marauder wheels if you like them so much. Save up some dough, and get what you really want. Don't cheap out on yourself, or your investment. Nothing is worse than wanting something really bad, and then not getting it. Patience my friend...good things come to those who save up! In this case...the Marauder wheels you want so bad. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

-Mat

ctrcbob
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think those wheels LOOK GREAT! :beer: Go for it! :bows:

gdmjoe
03-02-2005, 11:57 AM
FWIW 2cents .....

I know you mentioned price range and I don't know the co$t of the rims that you're leaning towards, however, consider this .....

1) Marauder wheel packages ( rims + tires ready to bolt-on ) have been routinely going for $1200 @ eBAY. *Some for even less.

2) The Marauder rims are an investment; down the road there will be a market for stock rims to accomodate restorations of Marauders where the owner ditched the originals for aftermarket.

3) IMO the Marauder rims are classic and classy with smooth 5spoke lines that compliment the Panthers.

*The only alternative that I would have considered (IF they would've fit) would have been the Bullitt rims (with black centers in my case) ... IMO another classic / classy look.

And I'm unamimous on that. But then again ... I've been wrong before. :D

Anyway FFT ..... but I'm am a bit prejudice http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/d/gdmjoe/evil.gif

BillyGman
03-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, it is.....and I happen to like the Marauder wheels a lot better than those aftermarket ones in the pic. But hey, it isn't my $$ we're talking about here either. So I'm just speaking of MY OPINION. And I believe opinions are what was being sought here in this thread. That's all folks...:)

gonzo50
03-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Finally there are BLACK wheels for our cars that fit! I'm going to order the Kazera wheels in black from TireRack.com: 18" x 8.5" for the fronts and 18" x 9.5" for the rears.

As much as I like the Marauder wheels, I couldn't find a set that was in my price range.
You might want to get with NBC Shooter because he's soon to get new rims and might want to sell the stock Marauder rims. :confused:

MENINBLK
03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Regardless of what the wheels cost, please make sure that they are rated to support your vehicle's weight when it is FULLY LOADED...
You don't want the wheels to bend on the first little pothole you hit, when you've got the car packed up to the rim !

Sully008
03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone,

Wow! It's nice to hear the different views on wheels. Definately a personal choice thing. I called the company that is selling these wheels to make sure they did indeed fit my CV and I wouldn't have any trouble and they said it would be okay. But I've always liked to be different. I like to "blaze trails" so to speak. Heck, my other car is an '86 Merkur XR4Ti (A what? A Murkur?) :D I do love the simplicity of the Marauder wheels, and I realize the future value they may hold, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and get the aftermarket ones. I'll post pics when I get them on the car. Thanks, everyone!

BillyGman
03-02-2005, 11:39 PM
I hope it all works out good for ya Mike. :)

bigslim
03-03-2005, 01:30 AM
I notice that everyone is flaming the poor guy for not getting MM wheels. He didn't come here for that. He came here to ask about tires. If I had some tire info I would share it with you. I hope someone else will share tire info with you instead of giving their opinion on what wheel you should buy. :mad:

MENINBLK
03-03-2005, 02:30 AM
I notice that everyone is flaming the poor guy for not getting MM wheels. He didn't come here for that. He came here to ask about tires. If I had some tire info I would share it with you. I hope someone else will share tire info with you instead of giving their opinion on what wheel you should buy. :mad:

Regardless of what the wheels cost, please make sure that they are rated to support your vehicle's weight when it is FULLY LOADED...
You don't want the wheels to bend on the first little pothole you hit, when you've got the car packed up to the rim !
What did I say ??? :help:
Did I mention M A R A U D E R ?

Patrick
03-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Great rims!!!! Check into the Michellin MXV4 serires.

Sully008
03-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Great rims!!!! Check into the Michellin MXV4 serires.

Thanks, Patrick. I'll give them a look see.

Guys, I didn't take anything personally from everyone telling me to wait and get Marauder wheels. It was a loaded question at best and I figured 99% of you would try and sway me that way.
:D
But like I said, I grew up to "Think different" (to steal Apple's marketing). Isn't that why you bought a Marauder? :D :beer:

Fourth Horseman
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
But like I said, I grew up to "Think different" (to steal Apple's marketing). Isn't that why you bought a Marauder? :D :beer:

Nah, all of us just fell in love with the leather jackets. That a car came free with our $35k jackets was just a bonus. :)

Sully008
03-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Nah, all of us just fell in love with the leather jackets. That a car came free with our $35k jackets was just a bonus. :)

LMAO! Now that's funny!

looking97233
03-04-2005, 12:16 AM
You could put the OE Marauder tires on it. They will fit your wheels and they're cheap.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDWS&vehicleSearch=true&index=0&partnum=35WR8GFTAKDWS&partnum=455WR8GFTAKDWS

Sully008
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
You could put the OE Marauder tires on it. They will fit your wheels and they're cheap.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDWS&vehicleSearch=true&index=0&partnum=35WR8GFTAKDWS&partnum=455WR8GFTAKDWS

Hey looking,

I hadn't really thought of that. I'll check those out as well. Recommended tire sizes from where I got the wheels from was 235/50-18 or 245/45-18. I was thinking of going with 245/45-18 on all four corners. Any thoughts, everyone?
Should I go with a higher sidewall for a little better ride?

Hotrauder
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
I really enjoyed the original Goodyears that were factory on my 03 CVLX Sport. Great ride, quiet, good performance and great wear. They were not cheap at the Goodyear Store (over $210 each. but found them at Tire Rack for $148 as I recall. At 35K they still had a lot of life left but I had to replace one when my wife drove about 5 miles after the right front went down with a puncture. I did rotate each 6K and paid close attention to the alignment. I would recommend them to anyone with a CV. Dennis:beer:

Sully008
10-14-2005, 07:18 AM
I really enjoyed the original Goodyears that were factory on my 03 CVLX Sport. Great ride, quiet, good performance and great wear. They were not cheap at the Goodyear Store (over $210 each. but found them at Tire Rack for $148 as I recall. At 35K they still had a lot of life left but I had to replace one when my wife drove about 5 miles after the right front went down with a puncture. I did rotate each 6K and paid close attention to the alignment. I would recommend them to anyone with a CV. Dennis:beer:

Holy crap, Dennis! You brought up an old thread of mine. Good info for those that own a CV. I was originally looking for tires that were going to fit those aftermarket 18"s I bought, but I decided to buy a whole new car! :D