PDA

View Full Version : Best Longtube Headers

2003CTMarauder
03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
What are the best longtube headers for the marauder. Ones with biggest hp and tq gains!

MENINBLK
03-02-2005, 03:18 PM
HP & TQ gains cannot be had by headers alone!

With this, let the headers games begin !!! :banana:

Constable
03-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, besides being the best, Kooks are the ONLY long tubes available at this time. It's my opinion (as well as others) that they will yield the most power for your car. There are dyno sheets around here somewhere... I think Logan has them in his gallery. At some points during the rpm rnage there will be as much as 50hp and 35tq increase at the wheels. The peak numbers are something like 30hp and 20tq. They're well worth the money.

GodOSpeed
03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
They say Kooks but do a search. Logan had done and install previously and had posted dyno #s. Once again the search engine can do wonders for you on this site. :up:

CRUZTAKER
03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
No need to search...KOOKS are the only ones available that fit.

And that's a good thing.

greggash
03-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I have decided to go with kooks, I even ordered them thru a dealer.
and I have been waiting now over 20 days...
I can hardly wait!!!!

chicago_cop
03-02-2005, 03:55 PM
What are the best longtube headers for the marauder. Ones with biggest hp and tq gains!

The Oct. issue of Hot Rod had a great article about Headers, the Nov. about exhaust systems, called Test Tube. They have done tests with various size pipes etc. and claim an additional 13hp with 18in extenshions, and 3in front to back over the 2.5 in.

BillyGman
03-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Like Constable has told you, Kooks are the way to go, but if you're looking for HP gains, then you should get freer flowing mufflers along with 2.5" diameter muffler pipes and high flow cats too. I would suggest the entire bolt-on Kooks header and exhaust sytem, which comes with 18" magnaflow mufflers. Tyat's what I and a number of ther Marauder owners have. Although I'm not saying that this is the only way to go as far as the rest of the exhaust system goes. but as far as long tube headers, Kooks are the only ones for Marauders. And I strongly suggest that you get the headers ceramic coated whether they're stainless steel or not.

DeadVic
03-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Coating the headers usually serves two purposes:

1. Corossion protection
2. More power in certain apps

Since I live in SE texas and it's not a daily driver #1 is of no concern. What about item 2 for our cars. Does it increase performance?

Like Constable has told you, Kooks are the way to go, but if you're looking for HP gains, then you should get freer flowing mufflers along with 2.5" diameter muffler pipes and high flow cats too. I would suggest the entire bolt-on Kooks header and exhaust sytem, which comes with 18" magnaflow mufflers. Tyat's what I and a number of ther Marauder owners have. Although I'm not saying that this is the only way to go as far as the rest of the exhaust system goes. but as far as long tube headers, Kooks are the only ones for Marauders. And I strongly suggest that you get the headers ceramic coated whether they're stainless steel or not.

Constable
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Ceramic coating, such as Jet-Hot, offers insulation. It keeps a lot more of the heat inside of the primaries until the gases pass into the exhaust system. That means less heat in your engine bay, which is a good thing.

The long tubes also mount very close to your starter. The heat absorbed by your starter will greatly decrease it's life expectancy. In our case, we don't have to worry about plug wires, but that's a normal issue to contend with as well.

The last thing is corrosion resistance, which you mentioned. It's not neccessary for the stainless headers, but mine are mild steel (I ordered when they first came out... NOONE on this board had them at the time). The aluminum coating the Kooks used has stood up well to the salty winters here in NJ.

Will the coating help produce more power? Dunno. But it sure helps keep everything cool and pretty under there.

Joe Walsh
03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Ceramic coating, such as Jet-Hot, offers insulation. It keeps a lot more of the heat inside of the primaries until the gases pass into the exhaust system. That means less heat in your engine bay, which is a good thing.

The long tubes also mount very close to your starter. The heat absorbed by your starter will greatly decrease it's life expectancy. In our case, we don't have to worry about plug wires, but that's a normal issue to contend with as well.

The last thing is corrosion resistance, which you mentioned. It's not neccessary for the stainless headers, but mine are mild steel (I ordered when they first came out... NOONE on this board had them). The aluminum coating the Kooks used has stood up well to the salty winters here in NJ.

Will the coating help produce more power? Dunno. But it sure helps keep everything cool and pretty under there.

The header tubes completely surround your starter....I took the added precaution of wrapping my starter with a heat sheild/blanket from Summit.
I figured that it was easily done while the OEM manifolds were removed and cheap insurance against heat-soaking the starter on hot summer days.

DeadVic
03-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Cool. Literally. Thanks.

BillyGman
03-04-2005, 02:23 AM
I also have the steel Kooks headers (Constable isn't the only one), and I had mine ceramic coated. I also used the velcro equipped starter wrap from Summit racing as Joe did. but even if you live in a warm climate, I think you shouls still get the headers ceramic coated, because otherwise they will stil turn colors rather quickly if you don't.

Joe Walsh
03-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I also have the steel Kooks headers (Constable isn't the only one), and I had mine ceramic coated. I also used the velcro equipped starter wrap from Summit racing as Joe did. but even if you live in a warm climate, I think you shouls still get the headers ceramic coated, because otherwise they will stil turn colors rather quickly if you don't.

Yes!!! Jet-Hot the headers...they look awesome, run cooler and won't turn into a rusty mess. If you are spending that kind of $$$$ on the Kooks, then I can't imagine not wanting to protect your investment.

Even if the Kooks are now made out of stainless steel, I would get them coated.

P.S. 304 Stainless Steel WILL rust...It's not immune to corrosion....316 SS is pretty much 'bullet proof'.

BillyGman
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
yes, but even besides the possibility of rusting, they will still turn light brown from the heat, and possibly blue also. And it won't take that long to happen either.There's atleast one board member here who has the Kooks headers w/out getting them ceramic coated that this HAS happened to.

BruteForce
03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
yes, but even besides the possibility of rusting, they will still turn light brown from the heat, and possibly blue also. And it won't take that long to happen either.There's atleast one board member here who has the Kooks headers w/out getting them ceramic coated that this HAS happened to.

Mine are not coated and they have a "golden" patina. DirtyDog also has uncoated but he hand polished his so they're getting a shiny gold color.

Joe Walsh
03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Mine are not coated and they have a "golden" patina. DirtyDog also has uncoated but he hand polished his so they're getting a shiny gold color.

Yep....I had a SS Borla exhaust on my Blazer and it would turn a goldish-brown color with heat. I could get it back to shiny silver BUT I had to polish the pipes with 'WENOL' everytime I washed the car.

CRUZTAKER
03-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Let it be known that ALL of the KOOKS headers now offered as kits for our cars are stainless steel. They will not rust, so throw that fear out the window. It's not a topic to discuss.

Ceramic coating is TOTALLY your preference, and even Nick and George at KOOKS will tell you that there is no need to do so.

As far as proximity to the starter, yes, they're close...again, it's YOUR call to wrap your starter. Mine were installed by a company that builds custom race cars from the ground up. The master technician at their facility assured me that they mounted headers that close to the starters on their race cars as well and there was no need other than piece of mind to ceramic coat the pipes, nor protect the starter.

The area in concern is completely open to free flowing outside air while the car is moving. Heat concern is only a problem if the car sits idling for long periods of time. Mine doesn't...I am always moving other than the occational traffic light.

The color change folks speak of is a reality. If you require your pipes to be shiny forever, I recommend you treat them in some way prior to installing them. Mine are a golden brown, not purple, and look just fine for my application. Again, it's a preference thing to think of.

FiveO
03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I had mine coated and love the look...matches the silver very well.

Its all preference.

Marauder2005
03-04-2005, 04:17 PM
May I ask where you can pick up a nice set of Kooks Headers

for our cars?:cool: :)

Marauder2005
03-04-2005, 04:18 PM
LOL NM found the link :rolleyes:

FiveO
03-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Dennis Reinhart is also selling Kook's if I recall correctly.

Just FYI.

BillyGman
03-05-2005, 12:20 AM
I got mine from Kooks directly www.kookscustomheaders.com (http://www.kookscustomheaders.com)

BillyGman
03-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Let it be known that ALL of the KOOKS headers now offered as kits for our cars are stainless steel. They will not rust, so throw that fear out the window. It's not a topic to discuss. Hmmm, I dunno, my exhaust tips are begining to rust, and they too are supposed to be stainless steel. I think that it probably has something to do with exactly what grade of stainless steel it is, just as Joe has previously pointed out in this thread. And no, I've never used steel wool to polish them either. I always use the "Nev-R-Dull" stuff.

The color change folks speak of is a reality. If you require your pipes to be shiny forever, I recommend you treat them in some way prior to installing them. Mine are a golden brown, not purple, and look just fine for my application. Again, it's a preference thing to think of.Yes, it is.