PDA

View Full Version : long oil change

Vortex
03-03-2005, 08:10 AM
One hour oil change at Regency LM in case anybody has lots of spare time on their hands... The place didnt look busy at all. Other than warranty work, looks like Ill be going to Jiffy Lube from now on.

2003 MIB
03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
One hour oil change at Regency LM in case anybody has lots of spare time on their hands... The place didnt look busy at all. Other than warranty work, looks like Ill be going to Jiffy Lube from now on.
Or you could take it to Jerad Martin at John Eagle L/M. Marauders usually get to the front of the line.

rumble
03-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Or you could take it to Jerad Martin at John Eagle L/M. Marauders usually get to the front of the line.

"DITTO" Take if from a guy who knows! I go there for mine.

Bigdogjim
03-03-2005, 06:30 PM
What no free coffee:rofl:

rumble
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
What no free coffee:rofl:

If you go in on Saturday it's FREE lunch too!

Oh, so now you're interested..............
:beer:

jgc61sr2002
03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend jiffy lube or any other fast lube. IMO 1 hour in the dealer is not unreasonable.

2003 MIB
03-04-2005, 04:38 AM
I wouldn't recommend jiffy lube or any other fast lube. IMO 1 hour in the dealer is not unreasonable.
I also like to go to J/E because I am likely to run into other Marauder owners. It's always a good opprotunity to B/S and the time flies by.

ctrcbob
03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Go to Jiffy Lube only if you don't mine having some kid who makes minimum wage, and knows even less, work on your car, (see below) plus if you don't mind having them install an Oil Filter that you never heard of.

I either do my own oil changes, or I have a dealer do it using the oil I specify. If they don't have the oil I want, I bring it myself and have them charge me for the factory Oil Filter (Motorcraft) and labor.

As for "Quick Change Oil Places", (Jiffy Lube), after I retired for the second time, I took a job driving the parts truck for an auto dealer. I would deliver parts to Jiffy Lube (and other quick change places) and I would always see someone bringing out a perfectly good Air Filter to the customer, and showing them how it was full of dirt and needed to be changed. They would also try to change other things that did not need to be changed. I always felt bad for females who knew nothing about cars, who were being taken advantage of. There are some males who don't know anything about cars either but I don't feel bad for them because they should know better.

Speaking of being taken advantage of, there are some people who believe that a car must have the same brand/model tire that came with the car new. I've seen young girls come into the stealership wanting tires. The shop would quote them $90.00 per tire, plus the flat rate labor to install. The parts manager would then send me across the street to a "Discount" tire store that charged $40.00 for the very same tire to everyone. I would load four of them in the truck, drive 200 yards to the shop, and they would charge the girl close to $500.00 for the tires and labor. I wish I was able to tell these girls to just go across the street and get the tires there, and it would cost them half of what the stealer was charging them.

rumble
03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Go to Jiffy Lube only if you don't mine having some kid who makes minimum wage, and knows even less, work on your car, (see below) plus if you don't mind having them install an Oil Filter that you never heard of.

I either do my own oil changes, or I have a dealer do it using the oil I specify. If they don't have the oil I want, I bring it myself and have them charge me for the factory Oil Filter (Motorcraft) and labor.

As for "Quick Change Oil Places", (Jiffy Lube), after I retired for the second time, I took a job driving the parts truck for an auto dealer. I would deliver parts to Jiffy Lube (and other quick change places) and I would always see someone bringing out a perfectly good Air Filter to the customer, and showing them how it was full of dirt and needed to be changed. They would also try to change other things that did not need to be changed. I always felt bad for females who knew nothing about cars, who were being taken advantage of. There are some males who don't know anything about cars either but I don't feel bad for them because they should know better.

Speaking of being taken advantage of, there are some people who believe that a car must have the same brand/model tire that came with the car new. I've seen young girls come into the stealership wanting tires. The shop would quote them $90.00 per tire, plus the flat rate labor to install. The parts manager would then send me across the street to a "Discount" tire store that charged $40.00 for the very same tire to everyone. I would load four of them in the truck, drive 200 yards to the shop, and they would charge the girl close to $500.00 for the tires and labor. I wish I was able to tell these girls to just go across the street and get the tires there, and it would cost them half of what the stealer was charging them.

I have worked for various dealer ships for over 40 years now and I guess what really angers me about your
post is that at some dealerships every thing you say is true. I don't know what percentage of the business are crooks but I guess a certain percentage of every business are unscrupulous so this should come as no surprise.
Fortunately most dealers try and treat the customer right. It just gets back to the old saw "if you don't know cars
then you had better know your dealer." As Mr. 2003 MIB said, we know J/E, J/E is a friend of ours and believe me
most dealers are no J/E. (At least I think he said that, maybe it was a Quale hunter some time back)

One more thing working at a dealer will teach you is that "Quickie Lubey" will sell a lot of oil pans for you when they strip out the drain plugs and will occasionally sell an engine or two for you when they leave the drain plugs loose.

You're right, too, about the "air filter" demo. Not many folks who go in for the
$19.95 oil change come out for less than $50.00 or so,

Hey, but then they are faster so what the heck?
__________________ :soap:

hdwrench
03-04-2005, 09:13 PM
I have worked for various dealer ships for over 40 years now and I guess what really angers me about your
post is that at some dealerships every thing you say is true. I don't know what percentage of the business are crooks but I guess a certain percentage of every business are unscrupulous so this should come as no surprise.
Fortunately most dealers try and treat the customer right. It just gets back to the old saw "if you don't know cars
then you had better know your dealer." i took my commuter (not the MM) to a local shop they quoted me 400+ parts only for an alternator. i went to the dealership and asked them for a quote 350 parts and labor. it really pissed me off the local shop tried to overcharge me 300 so i wont be going back to that place. I have had work done there previously...

i dropped off the POS commuter and the mechanic gave me a ride home... maybe when he saw the MM in the driveway he figured i had the cash and wouldnt care about $300... :bs:

teamrope
03-04-2005, 09:26 PM
None of the Quickie Lube joints carry the right oil for our cars either.

The last time I used Jiffy lube, they lost the oil cap. Made one hell of a mess under the hood. :shake:

ctrcbob
03-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Hey Rumble,

You are probably correct in that most dealers would not try to cheat the customer. It's just that this dealer would. Only worked there for six months.

On the good side, I knew a guy who ran a garage in a city where I used to live.
One day, while visiting his shop, a young girl came in, paid her bill, thanked the owner and left. After she left, the owner said to me, "See that girl"? When I said yes, He said, "I go out of my way to do the best job I can for her". When I asked why, he said, "Because she pays her bill without question or complaining". "Most people complain that I am charging them too much, but not her as she pays with no complaints, so I make sure I always give her a little extra, and do the best I can".

You see, there are honest guys out there.

TX Harley Guy
03-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I also like to go to J/E because I am likely to run into other Marauder owners. It's always a good opprotunity to B/S and the time flies by.
..... then again theres always the cool people who work there..... :beer:

GordonB
03-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey people,
1 hour for an oil change is VERY reasonable. I just did my first oil change in my garage today and I know I tilted the car by jacking up the front pass. side and it drained and drained and drained for about 45 minutes.
FWIW, if you want ALL of the old oil out, you MUST lest it drain for a while.
First oil change that I paid for at the dealer's was $53 !!!!! Yikes!!!! That is my Last one there. I can do 2 changes for that price in MY Garage!!! For $26 I got 2 FOMOCO filters and 6 qts of Valvoline 5W20 Synblend at Advanced Auto Parts.

GordonB

chicago_cop
03-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I would not do that. I can tell you at least two horror stories about fast lube places. In one they put the wrong filter on, and if someone hadn't noticed before I got on the hwy. I could have ruined the engine. Another location of a quick lube, and the guy said that he couldn't get the plug off. I went into the bay, and he was turning the wrench in the wrong direction, and then he and one of the managers argued with me saying I was wrong. (they were clueless) After almost stripping the nut. (Larry, Curly, & Moe) You can change it yourself and be sure its done right. You can change the filter from the top, and only need to jack it up enough to drain the oil. Just My opinion.

Canadasvt
03-07-2005, 08:58 AM
The corner of Speers Road & Third Line in my town is always very slippery when the rain starts to fall. Why? There is a quick lube shop located beside the gas station on the corner. Many times customers have pulled out onto the road and the lube 'technician' has forgotten to replace the oil plug washer, the oil cap, transmission pan, thermostat, or heater hose, and thousands of gallons of oil, rad fluid, and trans fluid have poured onto that corner.
Best bet is a good private garage that comes with high recomendations.

wchain
03-07-2005, 10:53 AM
I took mine to the dealer friday and got the $9.95 Oil Change, it took about 45 minutes, it would have been faster but I caught the lube tech showing his friends my DVD player.
:mad2:

Still, I cant buy 6 qts of Oil and a FL-820S for 10 bucks....

2003 MIB
03-10-2005, 05:07 AM
I would deliver parts to Jiffy Lube (and other quick change places) and I would always see someone bringing out a perfectly good Air Filter to the customer, and showing them how it was full of dirt and needed to be changed.
Your story reminded me of the Jiffyboob who came into the waiting room with a young lady's dirty air filter in one hand and a clean white paper one in the other. He said, "Look how nasty your filter is, I can't let you leave in good faith without replacing it. We're having a special today and it's only $57.00." I told her to say no, follow me down the street to the Pep Boys and I'd replace it for less than $20. When I went out to the bay- The manager of the J/L told me my oil change was free if I promised not to come back.
Suits me, her price for a new Fram was about $10 bucks and it took 5 minutes. I know upselling is how they make their money but that doesn't make it right.

wchain
03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Your story reminded me of the Jiffyboob who came into the waiting room with a young lady's dirty air filter in one hand and a clean white paper one in the other. He said, "Look how nasty your filter is, I can't let you leave in good faith without replacing it. We're having a special today and it's only $57.00." I told her to say no, follow me down the street to the Pep Boys and I'd replace it for less than $20. When I went out to the bay- The manager of the J/L told me my oil change was free if I promised not to come back.
Suits me, her price for a new Fram was about $10 bucks and it took 5 minutes. I know upselling is how they make their money but that doesn't make it right.

57 Dollars? Was it a plastic framed filter (i.e. a Toyota or Honda????) Jeez 57 bucks, they probably want to charge labor for swapping the filter. I had that happen once, I had my moms car at the Mercedes dealer and they brought the air filter in, showing me it was dirty, and it was .3 hrs to change it. I said
"Well you have it out, so why would it cost anything to put a new one in?" :bs:

I looked at the guy and told him to put the old filter back in.

They changed the filter for free :)