PDA

View Full Version : Taillight lens paint

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 03:42 PM
I found the product Logan mentioned in the 'Stealth look completed' thread.

'nite-shades from VHT'
...transparent black taillight lense paint pn #SP-999. $9.99
At one of those typical ricer hangouts that does accessory products.

I cannot find anyone to confirm two things

.1. Can this product be used on the EXTERIOR of the lens assy?
2. And if not, is it possible to gain access (open) inside the tail light assy?

I don't for see a problem if we only blackout the areas on the lens' like the MM at the auto show, which I did with tape last night as a test, the tail lights are still clearly visible for the mandated distance. What is it...400 ft. or so? Besides, the paint is semi-transparent if use properly.

Someone out there has used this product. I can do a test spot if I have to, but theoretically the stuff will scratch over time.

That means it's off to the body shop for a
pemanant (non-transparent) TATTOO

LincMercLover
02-18-2003, 04:03 PM
What, the rice kids wouldn't tell you how to use it once you showed them your car? :D

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 05:04 PM
I am not a person who gives off that, "hey I'm friendly and want to talk to you impression" in public. So....No.
I do know the owner though. Over the years I have come to trust his pro styling works.He does my paint matches, and body styling work. He never used the product, just sells it. He did offer to tattoo them.
*PLUG-heated seats under 5 installed-PLUG*
We actually BOTH poke fun at the under 21's and their second hands....
I do remember being young and stupid myself as well, but he sure makes a good living off these kids.

Oh, and I park across the street. No rice knicks on my ride.

:censor:

Slowpoke
02-18-2003, 05:09 PM
i remember being young ands stupid too.... seems like only this morning!

SergntMac
02-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey man, go paint, okay?

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 05:24 PM
okay?

Logan
02-18-2003, 05:28 PM
I've personally used Nite shades and can answer the question.

The product is designed to be used on the exterior of the tail light. Once applied, it WON'T, I mean WON'T come off, scratch or anything else. I had tails treated with Nite Shades and believe me, it's permanent.

Also, When applying it, it goes on thin. Apply one THIN coat to ONE tail light and LET DRY. Once dry, compare against the untreated taillight to evaluate if you want to go darker. Keep track of the number of coats applied and apply the same number of coats to the other lense.

My experience, it usually is 3-4 coats. Once dried, it'll have a slightly rough texture to it, do NOT try to sand it. Just leave it be. After a couple car washes it'll be as smooth as glass.

CRUZTAKER
02-18-2003, 05:31 PM
YES!
I knew you would find this if I reposted.
You are the man, yes. Thank you so much, and I am sure the others with the same intention will appreciate too.

I hope it turns out like the pic posted at the show....

Effster
02-18-2003, 06:10 PM
whats with the okay?

Billatpro
02-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Mac, why the advice to go paint?

RCSignals
02-18-2003, 10:58 PM
I think mac means "just do it"

SergntMac
02-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Yep, but I guess Cruz had to hear Logan spell it out, and that's fine.

I got a couple of ricers on my block, it's their fault we got speed bumps in the alley and cul-de-sachs blocking traffic from the mains, but they're not bad kids. First day I brought the MM down the alley, I got all the "wows" and stuff out of the way, and they're full of black out ideas and energy. Sorry kids, not on my MM, not yet anyway. But, I gotta say, they are good with the paint, must have been that 9th grade "tagging" summer they had two years ago that sharpened their skills. One kid is really smooth with the putty, but I think he likes the aroma as much as the results, if you get my drift. Anyway, Cruz was on the right track, was just saying go for it.

Billatpro
02-19-2003, 07:43 AM
OH, OK, just thought you knew something we did not. Wait I meant something eles we did not.

LightningVic
02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
I am going to do my tail lights on friday, so if I can find access to a digital camera, I can take a picture to show you how mine turn out.

CRUZTAKER
02-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks to everyone. Hope it is enjoyed.

Would like to see pics, it's still too cold here. Supposed to warm up over the weekend. 39 or so, that is shorts weather 'roun here.
Painting weather....? I 'll be pickin up K-1 no doubt.

Reaper948
02-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I've personally used Nite shades and can answer the question.

The product is designed to be used on the exterior of the tail light. Once applied, it WON'T, I mean WON'T come off, scratch or anything else. I had tails treated with Nite Shades and believe me, it's permanent.

Also, When applying it, it goes on thin. Apply one THIN coat to ONE tail light and LET DRY. Once dry, compare against the untreated taillight to evaluate if you want to go darker. Keep track of the number of coats applied and apply the same number of coats to the other lense.

My experience, it usually is 3-4 coats. Once dried, it'll have a slightly rough texture to it, do NOT try to sand it. Just leave it be. After a couple car washes it'll be as smooth as glass.

Wish I could do it.....Jersey cops will be on me like no ones business if i even tried the stuff...

Marauderman
02-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Reaper948-

How is a Jersey Cop or any other for that matter even gonna know the difference? The remainder of the tail light has plenty to show ---so what would make them so special they would know any difference...

Reaper948
02-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Seeing only my rear lights being black they would pull me over....
My friends bro had a pickup and did the same thing to his lights.... cop told them to take em off.......

Cops around my area are really anal about everything too...blinkers, rear lights, etc.

Marauderman
02-20-2003, 05:49 PM
DO they get special DMV training or something? cause thats a waste of good police use--don't you think so Sarge!!

Reaper948
02-20-2003, 05:50 PM
They also told me to turn my radio down this morning or theyd give me a ticket.... I dont know....

Marauderman
02-20-2003, 05:52 PM
I think its time to move!!! Big Time!!

Marauderman
02-20-2003, 05:53 PM
NC is a good place to relocate too-- alot of places to hide!!!

schuvwj
02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Reaper948
Seeing only my rear lights being black they would pull me over....
My friends bro had a pickup and did the same thing to his lights.... cop told them to take em off.......

Cops around my area are really anal about everything too...blinkers, rear lights, etc.

Where is Sarg when you need him???????

SergntMac
02-21-2003, 06:09 AM
CRUZ...Check this out? Is this what you mean?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1604

CRUZTAKER
02-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Yes sir. Thats where the whole thing started. I guess I should have left my reply in that post, but I wanted to draw individuals in that were actually gonna do it. Besides, I didn't know how it worked.

I see no legality issue here (motorvehicle). In that same thread, DirectedBy submitted a picture of a MM done similar from an auto show. I think it looks REALLY good that way. I just wish I had been there first hand to see/feel how they did it. Looks awfull shiney, like paint.

Either way, I have decided to do a test paint on another piece of plastic before I tattoo my MM.

Mac: You gotta bear with me, I have honestly NEVER seen this stuff before. Not even on someone elses car. I don't even think the kids around here know of it either...

SergntMac
02-21-2003, 06:12 PM
No problem CRUZ, enjoy the "sample" of where you may be headed. I really like this look, and the kiddies down my alley now seem the perfect solution for me too. if they can deliver this, I may take orders for the Chicagoland team.

I think this is the real "bad" way to go with the MM, and I agree, CRUZ, I don't see any LE issues here.

Thanks too, to BillAtPro, for the PS7 effort.

2003Marauder
02-22-2003, 06:48 PM
I plan to do the tail lights too. Always wondered what seemed to be different from the concept to the production model. Not until this post did I realize what the change was. I have noticed that some of the New CV's tail lights look like ours. Saw a black CV from a distance and thought it was a MM but when I got closer--NOT. Would like to do this and further set off the back end from the standard CV. I think the concept tail lights look much, much better.
Keep us informed of the progress and results...thanks...

CRUZTAKER
02-22-2003, 08:50 PM
I learned alot from today's sample paint on a piece of red plastic.

OK, it was one of my wifes serving trays......but it now looks
......stealthy? :bs:

The material goes on REALLY wet, thinner than the average can of spray paint. I had a run on the test paint. Without removing the tail lites and doing them flat, it's gonna require a steady hand and some patience to shoot them vertically on the car. It is also difficult to maintain uniformality across the lense.

Oh, I'm there, little more thought, little more practice, little more weather over 20 degrees......I'm there.
:up:

gonzo50
02-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Do you think they may have the S55 taillens available for purchase as an aftermarket kit, the same exact lens as on the S55 Marauder itself. :bounce: Would be nice. Maybe ebay has them.

CRUZTAKER
02-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah but.....$$$$$$$$$$$$ NO HAVEE :(

FordNut
02-22-2003, 09:09 PM
OK, so now that I've read so much about this I've just about decided I've gotta do it. My plan is to mask off the 3 recessed strips and use nightshades on the rest.

CRUZTAKER
02-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Man, legally I don't know. But I SURE would like to see it. You will definately have better weather before me.

Are you gonna pull the lenses?

FordNut
02-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes, I think pulling the tail lights off the car to prevent the risk of overspray is the way to go. Not to mention being able to get access to all surfaces easier. Weather is not cooperating here either. Rain, rain, rain. Too much moisture in the air to be spraying paint.

CRUZTAKER
02-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Let us all know about the tail lite lense removal, ok?
Good luck with it, I'll likely do mine in late march.
:)

FordNut
05-30-2003, 01:44 PM
OK, so i did it. Here's a pic of the process. I used two very light coats. The lights come off easy, masking took awhile. The dark areas lighten up after the masking is removed from the inserts, maybe more coats would have been better but it's good enough to not re-do.

FordNut
05-30-2003, 01:46 PM
installed

FordNut
05-30-2003, 01:47 PM
another angle

Dr Caleb
05-30-2003, 02:00 PM
That looks excellent! I was going to clean up the Crown Vic this weekend to sell it...I might have another project instead!

Bigdogjim
05-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Fordnut: Looks good. Effster did this to his blue MM when we saw him in March at the Long Island NY. meet. It does look very sharp.

WolfeBros
05-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Nicely done Fordnut !! Looks sharp. :up:

TAF
05-30-2003, 04:08 PM
I got to hand it to ya...that looks better than I thought when we talked on Saturday.
Honestly...I think it looks fantastic!

Now.....GET THOSE WHEELS DONE...so I can see 'em...eh?

FordNut
05-30-2003, 06:58 PM
I've had a few inquiries about removal of the taillight assemblies so I thought I'd post it here since we all may have to take them off at some point in the future. It's the only way to replace a burned out bulb!

Open the trunk and look under the ledge of the rear fender. There's a round plastic retainer, larger than the ones used everywhere else. They look like the press-in type but they actually screw onto the studs of the taillights. On the driver's side there are 3 smaller retainers that hold the cover on the CD changer (I don't know what is there if you don't have a changer). Once these are screwed off, the cover panels can be pulled back to get access. There is velcro in several places holding the cover panels in place.

Unplug the electrical connectors (if you're removing the lights, but not necessary to disconnect if just replacing a bulb). Follow the wires from the rubber feed-thru boot to the connector down in the bottom corner. There is a press-to-release lever on the connector. The one on the driver's side is not easy if you have a CD changer. I used a long screwdriver and pried it loose (it has one of those plastic studs that retain it into the hole) so I could get ahold of the connector.

Remove the 3 nuts from the studs that hold the taillights on. 7/16 deep socket fits them. Pull the lights back from the body slightly and press the wiring boot thru the hole. They're off now. Reverse for re-assembly.

Dave Compson
05-31-2003, 10:24 AM
I will keep this short. I used the nite shade product on my taillights. It looks COOL! I removed the taillights to spray the two coats. The results were worth it. I get lots of complements on it, and in the daytime, the lights look like part of the rear of the car. Until you put the brakes on. Oh, and there is no noticible difference on light output in day or night. The only difference is the car looks sinister.

CRUZTAKER
05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
GREAT GOING GUYS!!!

To those of you who found this thread after the fact, and read it from the start, you will see how much flack I took suggesting we do this. I was new, and did not understand why the lack of interest from the older crowd. This was a far too "ricey" look....yada-yada....

I knew this would take off...after all, the CONCEPT car had them, why shouldn't we?

I am doing mine next week during my....unscheduled....time off....oh well, I got time on my hands now. Right Tod?

I am going to the bodyshop to fix the two (warranted) paint bubbles, my christaning gouge compliments of mom, and start the tail lites thereafter. I also have the front set of molded mud flaps.

I also like the painted gods's head badges.....damn, we are some creative individuals!!!

I think I will go 3 or 4 coats of nite shade. BTW, how long did the 7oz. can last? How many coats do you think we will get? And what time interval did you use between coats?

PS: Masking hint. Go to a supply shop and pick up a product called "fine line". It's a vinyl strip masking tape the goes right around corners and turns with no effort. Use regular tape on the rest. NO RAZOR BLADES!!! Some of us shouldn't have sharp objects :)

Effster
05-31-2003, 11:58 AM
cruz,,,4 coats is fine......i did 3 and regret that i didnt do the 4th.I was too afraid of being dark,,but thats not the case.yes 1 can will go very far,,thin coats is the key.as far as tape and razor blade,i used masking painters tape.you wont cut into the lens corners if your careful

Bob Mathis
05-31-2003, 12:27 PM
Ok I can'nt seem to fine nite shade paint around here please someone till me where you got your's. At what parts store. Thanks Bob

Effster
05-31-2003, 12:38 PM
bob,,vht makes it.go to a speed shop or any custom place that carries import goodies

CRUZTAKER
05-31-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Effster
cruz,,,4 coats is fine......i did 3 and regret that i didnt do the 4th.

Just so everyone knows, Effster was the first (that I knew of) that did this, and apparently did it well judging from others comments.

Thanks for the additional input.

CRUZTAKER
05-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Bob Mathis
Ok I can'nt seem to fine nite shade paint around here please someone till me where you got your's. At what parts store. Thanks Bob

Not at an auto parts store...but one of those places that does aftermarket things to cars, like tint, body effects, lighting, and other performance stuff for vans, pickups, ricers, and just normal folks like us apparently.

Bob: If all else fails, the product is $9.95 at the supershop up the street, and for say $4 shipping, I'll send you a can. Just say the word. K?

FordNut
05-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Summit has it. I couldn't find it locally and ordered from them.

CRUZTAKER
05-31-2003, 08:54 PM
^^^There you go!^^^

They are just down the road from me as well.....:up: :burnout:

CRUZTAKER
06-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Well, I am going to wake the dead again......

Has anyone considered doing the backup lamps? Now that the tail lights are done, those lamps stick out like a sore thumb.

I am gonna do it.....today.

:up:

UPDATE:

Backup lites look phenominal. I did 5 coats, and they are BLACK!
Best part is, one can totally see the backup lites when on.

Tail lamps are done! Four coats, awesome.
Changed out the front speakers waiting for them to dry. 30 minutes, both doors....too easy!

Car is on blocks, calipers in process.

CRUZTAKER
06-06-2003, 03:32 PM
The stealth look is complete!

Excuse the pics, as I took them while in progress. When the rain stops here in Ohio, which may be A LONG TIME, I will post better pics in the gallery.

This pic is with the tail lites off:

CRUZTAKER
06-06-2003, 03:34 PM
This pic is with the tail lites and backup lite on:

jgc61sr2002
06-06-2003, 03:36 PM
CRUZTAKER - Your Marauder looks awsome.:up:

Dr Caleb
06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
The stealth look is complete!

But...there is noting in the picture!! Did you take a pic of an empty garage?

Seriouslly - COOL!
:coolman:

LincMercLover
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
OK, reviving an old thread here...

So, I take it this is all going to have to be a custom job ehh? Anyone wanna come over and do mine? :D

CRUZTAKER
06-11-2003, 03:54 PM
LML:
It's really not difficult as one might think. The paint goes on thin, and easy, you just do many coats.

The tail lamps come out easily, and masking is a cinch with a razor blade around the corners.

The back up lamps need only masked around the edges, plate removed, some newspaper, and old sheets to cover the rear of the car.
I wish I lived closer, 'cause I would love to do it again....

I suppose we could do it at the hotel in Ennis if you bring some masking tape, the product, and a socket wrench. It could be done in 3 hours, and back on the car. Wash them the next day, and that's it....

Your call man. I'll be in Ennis by Thursday sometime....I think, I can't remember when everyone is leaving. I do have a room reserved for thursday nite. We could do it Friday morning early...

Barry

LincMercLover
06-11-2003, 04:41 PM
My car isn't going to Ennis, just me. Come on... you know you wanna take a road trip to MO! ;)

Billatpro
06-11-2003, 04:44 PM
When I first posted my PS7 of this mod I thought I was a genius! you see I had never seen the show car and had no idea that it was done this way. My MM is still bone stock but I'm doing this number cause it just flat looks to cool.

TAF
06-11-2003, 05:27 PM
'cause I would love to do it again....

I suppose we could do it at the hotel in Ennis if you bring some masking tape, the product, and a socket wrench. It could be done in 3 hours, and back on the car. Wash them the next day, and that's it....

CRUZ,

Between you and Fordnut...maybe you guys should make appointments for your expertise while in Ennis...uh...I mean Marauderville, TX. Probably pay for the trip.

Bigdogjim
06-11-2003, 06:30 PM
LML: take your tail out and bring them with you.

CRUZTAKER
06-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Billatpro
When I first posted my PS7 of this mod I thought I was a genius!.....

Bill:

I remember that post. It was one of the first I read. I actually HAVE that pic you submitted, out in the barn. It was my template, and example to my friends when describing what I wanted to do.

OK, then YOU AND EFSTER were the first....be proud, 'cause you're not alone anymore! ;)

Originally posted by Bigdogjim
LML: take your tail out and bring them with you.

^^^Now that's an idea^^^
I'll need something to do to kill time in the evenings, besides :beer:

TAF
06-11-2003, 07:28 PM
^^^Now that's an idea^^^
I'll need something to do to kill time in the evenings, besides :beer:

FYI, Barry....Ennis = "Dry-County".....no :beer:

Hold your tongue...no TX remarks.....

Billatpro
06-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks Cruz, it is an awesome look!

LincMercLover
06-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Cruz,

How about the reverse? I may take out my rears now that you all mention it... Wonder what luggage check will think of when they see that on the x-ray? :lol:

Bigdogjim
06-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by TAF

Dry as on :beer: What were they thinking:confused:

I was only going because of the :beer::help: :flamer:

Bigdogjim
06-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Cruz,

How about the reverse? I may take out my rears now that you all mention it... Wonder what luggage check will think of when they see that on the x-ray? :lol:

There is one way to find out:D

We will bail you out if get rough:) :mad2:

What are friends for:P

Besides I'll need a driver in Texas :lol: :lol:

CRUZTAKER
06-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by TAF

Oh no....I have a comment for that! :P

Dallas county is dry, others are not. I know I can drive up to Plano or somewhere south and find a store that sells booze.
BTW: Dry county means no alchohol sales from RETAIL STORES only. Bars, resturaunts, pubs, and even golf courses within that dry county CAN sell alchohol. The purchaser need only have what is referred to as a "unicard", or something similar, and you can buy alchohol.....even 'to-go' at some establishments.

Remember, I've been there, done that, and found ways around the Texas roadblocks.

:up: And long live :beer: even in the R.O.T.

Back in the R.O., back in the R.O., back in the R.O.......T!

MAD-3R
06-13-2003, 06:51 AM
I was about to say, "No Guinness?? Then I'm not GOING!!"

CRC
06-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Ennis is in Ellis County which is a DRY county in Texas. Should be able to buy beer with unicard at the Motorplex...works that way at NHRA event there.

CRC
06-13-2003, 08:29 AM
otherwise plan a trip to Corsicana.

CRUZTAKER
07-20-2003, 02:12 PM
I did the Lincoln LS tail-lights today, and this time did the light on the spoiler as well for that 'complete' look.

I learned something this time around as well. I was able to achieve a darker, shiney, glossier finish by merely changing my application method.

Therefore, I re-did the MM tail-lights as well. This time I only masked the top two indentations, and blacked out the bottom one as very little light showed thru anyway.

I also pitched the four OEM 3157 bulbs and replaced them with brighter 3357 bulbs. I did the LS lamps as well. 3356 replace the single filement 3156 bulbs on the LS. Her tail lamps appear jet black, and look very cool.

Her calipers are next.

SergntMac
07-20-2003, 06:38 PM
72 replies to this thread now and I can't keep up.

Someone e-me when it's over, done, agreed upon, K?

Later...

CRUZTAKER
07-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
72 replies to this thread now and I can't keep up.
Someone e-me when it's over, done, agreed upon, K?
Later...

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/a0/baby.gif

You are right Mac...F posterity....topic closed as far as me. :up:

LincMercLover
07-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Umm... Sure?