PDA

View Full Version : Diablo chip

B-26
02-18-2003, 03:54 PM
I have the diablo chip and a K&N filter. No gear no t-stat. In fact i was advised not to go to the Mark VIII stat. That's why I was asking about the gear and stat a few days ago. I paid 239.00 for the chip.
The car picked up considerably. It does not detonate or ping. I bought the plugs but i haven't installed them. I may not after reading all of the notes here.

RF Overlord
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
B-26:

Your car won't ping because it has a knock sensor that pulls back the timing before you can hear it.

Although Dennis recommends changing the plugs, and to a lesser extent the 'stat, to get the maximum benefit from his chip, if your chip manufacturer says it's not necessary, then they should know...

golfnut
02-19-2003, 03:19 PM
I just got the diablo chip myself. Havnt had a chance to check out how to install it. How hard was yours to do?

SergntMac
02-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
B-26: Your car won't ping because it has a knock sensor that pulls back the timing before you can hear it.

Although Dennis recommends changing the plugs, and to a lesser extent the 'stat, to get the maximum benefit from his chip, if your chip manufacturer says it's not necessary, then they should know...

Once again, level headed advice from the Man.

The recommendations you read here about plugs and stat, are fine tunes to a particular chip, and may not be compatabile with other chips, at all.

I said a few weeks ago, that I believed the Diablo chip was quite similar to the Delta chip from Reinhart, but that doesn't mean they are exactly the same programs. My advice too, is to NOT change plugs or stat, until the Diablo people research that and recommend it themselves as compatabile with their programming.

The one hang up about all of this, is that you'll probably not detect any problems with detonation, until it's too late.

tetsu
02-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Diablo is just a brand of blank chips. Someone like Dennis or
others would buy blank Diablos and put their own flash on them.

The tstat and plugs wouldnt be incompatible with programming
if they were COOLER. They just a) might not be necessary if
the timing isn't advanced or b) be inadvisable if you are in a cold
climate (tstat esspecially.)

Johnny

B-26
02-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Golfnut
The Diablo isn't hard to do if you follow the instructions on this website. You don't have to undo any nuts under the hood except the one holding the harness and you don't have to break the plastic panel under the dash. Just be careful and easy. It will unlock and reattach ok. Take the battery cable off before you do anything.

golfnut
02-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Well, I called Dennis Reinhart, and after reading all the posts on here and talking to him, I am taking the diablo chip back and getting one from him. Along with some other goodies. The one I got didnt have the plugs with it, which it should have, and the place I got it from wanted $80 bucks to install it for me. Dennis was really cool, so I will give him my business from now on.

SergntMac
02-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Man, I just love this site!

This thread is an example of exactly how we come to exchange opinions and thoughts on stuff, and even though we seem to get "head to head" at times, we all come to benefit from the exchanges.

We're all in this for the same reasons, and this site rocks!

golfnut
02-21-2003, 09:47 AM
I completely agree. I went to the place that I bought the Diablo chip this am, and they told me they only issue store credits! The lackey behind the counter couldnt do much about it, so I will be seeing the owner in the am. For his sake, he better think about bending his own rules a little.

Dennis Reinhart
02-21-2003, 05:50 PM
If you paid for the chip with a credit card just dispute the charges screw the store credit, the reason why you use the plugs and stat is to optamize the tune, this engine knock sensor's are very sensitive so if you just pop a chip in and it does sence spark knock or ping it will retard the timing in essence detune the car at WOT.

SergntMac
02-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
If you paid for the chip with a credit card just dispute the charges screw the store credit, the reason why you use the plugs and stat is to optamize the tune, this engine knock sensor's are very sensitive so if you just pop a chip in and it does sence spark knock or ping it will retard the timing in essence detune the car at WOT.

Credit card billing issues aside, this is very important "411" from the Man, on how his chip works best for us who own an MM.

Thanks, Dennis.

CRUZTAKER
02-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by tetsu
or b) be inadvisable if you are in a cold
climate (tstat esspecially.)
Johnny

Interesting thread. Thank god I took the hi road from the beginning.
Parts are on my desk waiting....tx DR

But, if someone could explain the above statement. That conversation I missed out on.

It's cold here, and there, and....hell, it's cold everywhere.

Will this effect me? :confused:

Dennis Reinhart
02-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Welll If you are in cold climate now you can wait on spring, to install the stat, but even with the stat the car will reach operating temp, it will just run a little cooler in warm weather, so again its small refinements.

CRUZTAKER
02-21-2003, 07:08 PM
WOW! It's like....you're everywhere.:beatnik:

Thanks Dennis, I failed to emphasize it's mighty cold here when we spoke. If I wait till spring, aren't I in the same boat come next November?

Or do I swap each season? If it's just a case of lack of heat IN the car, hell I drive a cold MM any day.

Well, not in January.......

SergntMac
02-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
I failed to emphasize it's mighty cold here when we spoke. If I wait till spring, aren't I in the same boat come next November? Or do I swap each season? If it's just a case of lack of heat IN the car, hell I drive a cold MM any day. Well, not in January.

CRUZ, the change in stats is not so severe as you suggest. I changed stats last summer, and drove my MM almost all this winter. Chicago's no warmer than Ohio, you won't notice any loss of heat. View it as a all-season stat, 180 degrees is still very hot. You'll be fine, winter or summer.

MAD-3R
02-22-2003, 07:17 AM
I delieve it just will take longer for you to get heat in the catr on the cold days. Like an extra mile.

CRUZTAKER
02-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks Mac,

It's out to the barn now, gonna turn on the K1 and install some mods....

:d

RF Overlord
02-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
I believe it just will take longer for you to get heat in the car on the cold days. Like an extra mile.

The thermostat regulates the upper temperature of the coolant. It normally remains closed until the temperature of the coolant in the motor reaches the design temp of the 'stat, then it begins to open and regulate the coolant flow to maintain that temp (180°, 192°, etc). The actual opening point and the rate of opening are determined by the manufacturer's design. Since all thermostats remain closed below the design temp, the rate at which heat is produced is determined by the amount of work the engine is doing, which is why a car that is driven shortly after start will warm up faster than one which is allowed to idle. A 180° stat will begin opening a little sooner than a higher temp stat, and level off the temperature rise at a lower point.

To sum up, a lower temp stat will produce slightly lower maximum output from the heater, but will not take any longer to get there.

(Last sentence edited for accuracy...)

SergntMac
02-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Well, there ya go. All w***** up in one explanation.

RF, you're not just another pretty face, are ya...

TAF
02-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Sometimes he is so poignant.

RF Overlord
02-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Something's wrong here...today IS Friday, isn't it?